This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Didn't know there was any specific link other than them being the two most powerful animals in the Chinese zodiac.

Coincidentally, my sister was born in the year of the tiger and myself in the year of the dragon.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What is this Shibuya Roll call thing I heard on an old episode of Fast Karate? Where is it from?
  • I don't know what it is, but I would assume it's from Shibuya.
  • What is this Shibuya Roll call thing I heard on an old episode of Fast Karate? Where is it from?
  • I thought it was from japan... I am asuming that these fine upstanding young ladies think that they are saying something along the lines of, "boo-ya." And they think they are being clever by adding, "shi" in front of, "boo-ya". So friggin sad. I hoped it was from something cool. Not some crappy cheerleading movie.
  • I hope someday there will be a Fast Karate episode all about Bring It On. Or even better: a Greatest Movie Ever about Bring It On, with Dave and Joel as the cohosts.
  • That was Bring it On # 3 or 4 I think.. Right?
  • That was Bring it On # 3 or 4 I think.. Right?
    Actually it was Claire Brings It On, a spinoff of Heroes.

In the next scene, she gets shivved and has to hide coming back to life from her classmates.
  • I bought the humble indie bundle 2 and 3 a few days ago, but I already had braid and VVVVV. Is there any way I can gift those extra copies to someone, or will it not let me because they were part of a bundle?
  • I bought the humble indie bundle 2 and 3 a few days ago, but I already had braid and VVVVV. Is there any way I can gift those extra copies to someone, or will it not let me because they were part of a bundle?
    They're part of the bundle, so no, unfortunately. I already had pretty much every HIB game this time around, so I feel your pain.
  • They're part of the bundle, so no, unfortunately. I already had pretty much every HIB game this time around, so I feel your pain.
    I'm not so sure, now that the new TF2 system is in, and it specifically mentions getting doubles when you buy packs of of games, those doubles going into your steam inventory. I don't know for sure, but worth checking.
  • Can't you gift your own copy, and keep the bundle-copy? Or since they're DRM free, just, yknow, give them to someone?
  • I'm not so sure, now that the new TF2 system is in, and it specifically mentions getting doubles when you buy packs of of games, those doubles going into your steam inventory. I don't know for sure, but worth checking.
    Maybe. Lemme check something.

FAKE EDIT: I cannot currently add the Steam key for the Humble Indie Bundle 2 to my account because I already have all those games. It says nothing about putting them in my inventory.
  • Posting on the internet from the back seat of a car on the highway. It's been a month since I upgraded to a new phone and the damn thing still amazes me. Technology!
  • Is there such thing as a budget Android tablet? I have what amounts to a budget Android phone, and I dig it, but a tablet of the same vein would be neat.
  • A nook color costs $250 and, when hacked, it functions as an android tablet.
  • A nook color costs $250 and, when hacked, it functions as an android tablet.
    Is said hacking difficult? Would it work with the latest Android?
  • edited August 2011
    I haven't done it myself. I'll look into it for you.

Edit: Looks like you can get CyanogenMod7 on it (a modification of android 2.3.3) by following these instructions. Looks like it requires a SD card and is semi-complicated. There is also something less complicated, but less full-featured called Auto-Nooter which still requires an SD card.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Posting on the internet from the back seat of a car on the highway. It's been a month since I upgraded to a new phone and the damn thing still amazes me. Technology!
    I just have to get better at reading the words on the screen. I thought this was the Random Comments thread.
  • Something I've wondered for years: How the hell did the term "shit-eating grin" come about?!
  • Something I've wondered for years: How the hell did the term "shit-eating grin" come about?!
    Couldn't find out why, but here's the OED's first recorded usage (and a more amusing similar one).
    [1922 E. O'Neill Hairy Ape in Hairy Ape, Anna Christie, First Man 33 I'll cut yer guts out fer a nickel, yuh lousey boob, yuh dirty, crummy, muck-eatin' son of a ——.]
    1957 L. Giovannitti Prisoners of Combine D 37 Okay, what's the shit-eating grin for?
  • Someone (Cremlian?) once posted a list of how crazy Ron Paul is in this forum, but I can't seem track down that post. Can anybody link me to this?
  • Someone (Cremlian?) once posted a list of how crazy Ron Paul is in this forum, but I can't seem track down that post. Can anybody link me to this?
    That'd probably be me, I've got a pretty big Hate-boner for Ron Paul, and a tendency for long posts. I can't find it either, but I'm sure I've posted it somewhere else I can find, if you want it.
  • Is there such thing as a budget Android tablet? I have what amounts to a budget Android phone, and I dig it, but a tablet of the same vein would be neat.
    Yes, but be careful. You can find a lot of Ipad ripoffs from shady chinese dealers on ebay but they're all pretty crap, and you don't always get the specs that you were promised. Archos makes some cheaper ones that aren't too bad, but they don't support the official android market out of the box. With some hacking I think they are able to though. I don't know if I'd get the nook color as a tablet just because the Samsung Galaxy tab 7inch isn't that much more, and is probably a lot more powerful. I bet it will probably have a price drop in a couple months anyway. Check Woot too. I got my Pocket Edge android tablet/ereader combo for $120 a month or so ago. Hell you might be best off just buying and older model ipad when the ipad 3 comes out.
  • Okay, I got one.

So, many libertarians want us to return to a fiat currency, like gold and silver, and so on, because the American dollar is just everybody agreeing that said little bits of paper or bits in a computer have a particular amount of value.

Um, Isn't their idea of returning to gold the same thing, but with an arbitrary object or materiel rather than bits of paper or just plain old bits?
  • Can't you gift your own copy, and keep the bundle-copy? Or since they're DRM free, just, yknow, give them to someone?
    I'm pretty sure you can just give people the .exe's, but I'm almost certain you can't gift the Steam copies. I think only Valve does that.
  • I'm pretty sure you can just give people the .exe's, but I'm almost certain you can't gift the Steam copies. I think only Valve does that.
    You can now keep unopened gifts and re-gift them, but if you're already opened it, you're shit out of luck.
  • Um, Isn't their idea of returning to gold the same thing, but with an arbitrary object or materiel rather than bits of paper or just plain old bits?
    That's always been my hang-up about it. Gold and silver have no inherent value to joe post-apocalyptic smith. They're shiny metal. If you're sitting on a stash of something valuable (food, gas, etc.), you'd be better off, assuming someone just doesn't beat the shit out of you and steal your stupid crap, moron.
  • That's always been my hang-up about it. Gold and silver have no inherent value to joe post-apocalyptic smith. They're shiny metal. If you're sitting on a stash of something valuable (food, gas, etc.), you'd be better off, assuming someone just doesn't beat the shit out of you and steal your stupid crap, moron.
    Which falls back to the usual libertarian assumption that if they got everything they wanted, they'd be on top, rather than having someone smarter and nastier enslaving them almost immediately.
  • That's always been my hang-up about it. Gold and silver have no inherent value to joe post-apocalyptic smith. They're shiny metal. If you're sitting on a stash of something valuable (food, gas, etc.), you'd be better off, assuming someone just doesn't beat the shit out of you and steal your stupid crap, moron.
    Which falls back to the usual libertarian assumption that if they got everything they wanted, they'd be on top, rather than having someone smarter and nastier enslaving them almost immediately.
    To paraphrase Steinbeck, there's no foresight because none of them are poor. They're only temporarily embarrassed millionaires.