This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Should I get this 96 Lexus LS400? Its $3K has 200K miles on it and a flat tire.
    Depends on the condition. Have a mechanic check it out and tell you their opinion.
    This is possibly the best advice for anyone buying a used car. Take it to an outside mechanic and have them take a look at the car. If the seller won't let you do that, don't buy the car.
  • Also say to the mechanic "Please check the car, but if I buy it and anything goes wrong with it, I won't bring it here for you to fix."
  • Is there such a thing as xenophilia?
    I'm pretty sure there is, yes.
    I'm going to say yes.

I'm going to say yes.

The hell did I just read.
    I'm going to say yes.
    The hell did I just read.
    What the Professors Foglio did before they started writing Girl Genius.
  • I'm pretty sure Kaja wasn't involved. They didn't found Studio Foglio until the mid-90s.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm pretty sure Kaja wasn't involved. They didn't found Studio Foglio until the mid-90s.
    Not directly, at least, in the earlier issues. She may have had some creative input, but it'd be likely minor, and is certainly not listed anywhere, other than credits on the collected editions which are all published after 1995 - Since after that point, they were published by Studio Foglio rather than Palliard press. I'm pretty sure they knew each other during the time xxxenophile was originally published. She may have had some listed input on anything published after 1995, I'd have to go look.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • To people in countries other then Merica. Do you have any Merican shows on your TV during "prime time" on network tv? If so what show?
  • What counts as prime time? And we had Lost... um... the tattoo one. Fringe I think people watched at some point..
  • Do people recommend RIT as an engineering school? I imagine the "what you make of it" rule applies, but I'd never really heard about RIT education in a context other than CS, IT, or the school for the deaf.

On a somewhat related note, what's the difference between "Undecided Engineering (Engineering Exploration)" and "Undecided Engineering Technologies"?
  • Do people recommend RIT as an engineering school? I imagine the "what you make of it" rule applies, but I'd never really heard about RIT education in a context other than CS, IT, or the school for the deaf.

On a somewhat related note, what's the difference between "Undecided Engineering (Engineering Exploration)" and "Undecided Engineering Technologies"?
    One is for trains.

• Yes, RIT's engineering school is excellent, but as I'm not an engineer (and neither are ProfPangloss, Joe Boomer, or Axel) I can't really say much other than that.

Engineering technology is more hands-on. From what I've observed, this is just another way to say that it's easier. If you can handle a straight up engineering degree, go that route - You can always transfer to the easier degree, but transferring to the harder degree is much more difficult.

More info straight from the source:
    http://www.rit.edu/emcs/admissions/engineering
  • edited January 2012
    Are those supposed to be degree programs? Because they sound pretty silly.

From what I've heard, RIT's engineering school is perfectly serviceable, but nothing special, and RPI has a similar bar for admissions and is better overall. (Somewhat offset by Troy being in the middle of fuck nowhere).

My recommendation, however, is to go to a school with decent liberal arts programs so you can get a variety of good classes. If you can get into the University of Michigan, seriously, go there. They have pretty much everything there, and they're good at most of it.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited January 2012
    I probably should have Googled a bit more before asking that, seeing as RIT is the 6th best school for Engineering majors' salaries.

EDIT

@Linkiji
    They're survey programs for entering students to pick which type of engineering they want to do. Also, I would consider RPI, but I want to minor in Mandarin and they have no language program whatsoever.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I probably should have Googled a bit more before asking that, seeing as RPI is the 6th best school for Engineering majors' salaries.
    @Linkiji
    They're survey programs for entering students to pick which type of engineering they want to do. Also, I would consider RPI, but I want to minor in Mandarin and they have no language program whatsoever.
    FTFY. RIT is pretty far down the list.
    Also, that list notably only includes schools that primarily focus on engineering, which means it lacks important schools with engineering programs like Cornell or Berkeley. Also, median salaries probably aren't the best way to rate schools.
  • After watching my younger sister go through Tumbler, I wonder, is Tumbler just 4chan in a different style and personal pages, or is my sister just experiencing a unique event? My sister was showing and explaining to me how she and her "internet friends" were using Tumbler, and all I saw was that they were just posting random pictures and gifs and responding to those things with more random pictures and gifs.
  • @Clockian: Yeah, that sounds pretty similar to 4chan. As someone who uses a tumblr for, well, blogging, it kind of irks me. Kids these days, etc. (It's more the feeling of watching someone use the wrong tool, like hammering something with the butt of a screwdriver, when there are a bunch of perfectly good hammers lying around).

Also, Berkeley Engineers are hardcore.
  • Tumblr is more like Twitter, but for images.
  • After watching my younger sister go through Tumbler, I wonder, is Tumbler just 4chan in a different style and personal pages, or is my sister just experiencing a unique event? My sister was showing and explaining to me how she and her "internet friends" were using Tumbler, and all I saw was that they were just posting random pictures and gifs and responding to those things with more random pictures and gifs.
    How old is she? There is a very dark side to tumblr... Keep her safe.
    How old is she? There is a very dark side to tumblr... Keep her safe.
    She's 17, met Sauron, crawled into the grayest holes of the internet and came back. I personally think she's weird for looking at those "emo" Tumblers, but there's nothing I can do to stop her. ~0.0~
  • That's why 4chumblr is a shippable thing.
  • On a somewhat related note, what's the difference between "Undecided Engineering (Engineering Exploration)" and "Undecided Engineering Technologies"?
    Are those supposed to be degree programs? Because they sound pretty silly.
    Students that enter in these programs choose a specific program by the end of their first year. The computing department has none of this silliness, but it's much easier to switch from one major to another.
  • I probably should have Googled a bit more before asking that, seeing as RPI is the 6th best school for Engineering majors' salaries.
    @Linkiji
    FTFY. RIT is pretty far down the list.
    Also, that list notably only includes schools that primarily focus on engineering, which means it lacks important schools with engineering programs like Cornell or Berkeley. Also, median salaries probably aren't the best way to rate schools.
    And RPI is awesome and I'm sure is 10x better than RIT :P Also they do let you do offsite language stuff (I think), but yeah they gutted the language programs about 3 years ago. If you want to do most engineering or architecture RPI is good though.

• edited January 2012
    If you want a well-rounded education you probably shouldn't go to an engineering college though. /massive liberal-arts-university bias
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I am trying to remember the name of a Christian Doctrine that states simply "If good things happen to you it is because you are good in and of yourself?" Does anyone know what I am talking about?
  • edited January 2012
    I am trying to remember the name of a Christian Doctrine that states simply "If good things happen to you it is because you are good in and of yourself?" Does anyone know what I am talking about?
    I never heard of that with Catholicism, but it could be some weird Pentecostal or Evangelical teaching. It definitely rings a bell, but I couldn't name the exact teaching.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I am trying to remember the name of a Christian Doctrine that states simply "If good things happen to you it is because you are good in and of yourself?" Does anyone know what I am talking about?
    I never heard of that with Catholicism, but it could be some weird Pentecostal or Evangelical teaching. It definitely rings a bell, but I couldn't name the exact teaching.

This outspoken atheist must be super good in this god's eyes then. ;^)