This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Good call on the Phoenix Wright guys, it was perfect.
  • Rabies, bad as it is, is at least a disease and not a parasite that alters behaviour. A disease is one thing, but having something with legs and eyes messing you up is crazy.
  • I would rather have a non-fatal parasite than a fatal disease. Bleagh.
    Until the parasite takes over your BRAIN
    Something of the host must survive.

• Sometimes when I eat my first meal of the day, the roof of mouth will get tight. Like the muscle is contracting or something. Anybody else have that happen to them?

Oh the brain survives, the parasite just makes you act in a way that might be detrimental to you, but beneficial to it.
    Wooly Brain. The final stages of Wooly Lung.

Oh the brain survives, the parasite just makes you act in a way that might be detrimental to you, but beneficial to it.
    New studies are showing strong evidence that Toxoplasma gondii might do this to people. You don't even know your brain is rewired.
  • ummmm... it was a Stargate joke, but ok.

Even something that changes your behavior, if you have a chance of eradication/recovery, is a significantly better option than just dying. Unless you are Jesus, there's not much chance of coming back to normal life after dying. There is a chance of that with a parasite.
  • goddamn it I was totally going to make that joke.
  • But if a foreign organism fundamentally alters your behavior, are you still the original person, or merely a new gestalt organism with memories of being the former person?
  • Dude, having this philosophical conversation with someone who takes prescription drugs every day to alter their brain chemistry is probably very silly.
  • edited February 2012
    Dude, having this philosophical conversation with someone who takes prescription drugs every day to alter their brain chemistry is probably very silly.
    I'm being facetious. I myself am epileptic and there's a huge bottle of Depakote sitting on my bookshelf right now. :P

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yay drugs!
  • Yay drugs!
    Aw yeah. Grabbin' pills.

• Was Arrietty any good?
  • Was Arrietty any good?
    4/5
  • edited February 2012
    It's good, but the crow's the best character. You'll know why if you watch it.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Was Arrietty any good?
    4/5
    *Nicholas Cage* ... that's high praise.
  • Can anyone recommend a good Android synth app? I don't want to shell out $10 unless I know it's worth getting.
  • But if a foreign organism fundamentally alters your behavior, are you still the original person, or merely a new gestalt organism with memories of being the former person?
    Rabies alters your brain even worse, puts you in horrible pain, and then you die. Parasite is terrible but preferable. Go mad and die in pain is worst.
  • I'd pay shipping for a couple of Australian ration packs, if only for the sheer novelty of it.
  • I'd pay shipping for a couple of Australian ration packs, if only for the sheer novelty of it.
    Took me a minute for my brain to catch up, but yeah, if I see any around, I'll tell you, and we can work something out.
  • It's good, but the crow's the best character. You'll know why if you watch it.
    We loved the crow.
  • edited February 2012
    But if a foreign organism fundamentally alters your behavior, are you still the original person, or merely a new gestalt organism with memories of being the former person?
    Rabies alters your brain even worse, puts you in horrible pain, and then you die. Parasite is terrible but preferable. Go mad and die in pain is worst.
    Depends on the parasite. Neurocysticercosis (tapeworm infection of the brain) causes this to happen, and then they pull a giant, coiled worm out of your fucking skull.

Emily, you should read Chuck Palahniuk's book Rant. I think you'd enjoy it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2012
    If it has rabies in it I don't want anything to do with it.

Edit: Read the synopsis. That sounds like the worst book ever. I hate it already.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • How many others of you have realised that, while the games industry is veremently opposed to you selling your used games to trade for new ones. It is video games that are largely responsible for teaching us that we should trade in our old items for money to buy new ones?
  • How many others of you have realised that, while the games industry is veremently opposed to you selling your used games to trade for new ones. It is video games that are largely responsible for teaching us that we should trade in our old items for money to buy new ones?
    And at a guaranteed 50% of the original price no matter how old or crappy it is (at least that seems to be the pattern in the games I've played!)!

• Was I supposed to wait until I was older to turn into my dad?