This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited February 2012
    What is the difference between a Computer Scientist and a Software Engineer?

I've asked several people this question and I have received answers from "there is no difference between the two" to biased responses in support of one or the other.
    Are you applying for college? I'd recommend not worrying too much if you're just in high school now. It depends on your school, of course, but usually switching between computing majors at the same school is pretty easy.
    Unless you go to RIT, you won't have a choice. Most schools only have one computing major, which is usually CS.
    EDIT: Forgot to reinforce that the distinction between the two is practically negligible, and you can get an equivalent to RIT's Software Engineering curriculum in any decent CS department.

An additional note: You can't get a Ph. D in "Software Engineering," only in Computer Science. If you're interested in doing any kind of research, do CS.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • What is the difference between a Computer Scientist and a Software Engineer?

I've asked several people this question and I have received answers from "there is no difference between the two" to biased responses in support of one or the other.
    Are you applying for college? I'd recommend not worrying too much if you're just in high school now. It depends on your school, of course, but usually switching between computing majors at the same school is pretty easy.
    Unless you go to RIT, you won't have a choice. Most schools only have one computing major, which is usually CS.
    EDIT: Forgot to reinforce that the distinction between the two is practically negligible, and you can get an equivalent to RIT's Software Engineering curriculum in any decent CS department.

An additional note: You can't get a Ph. D in "Software Engineering," only in Computer Science. If you're interested in doing any kind of research, do CS.
    I know RPI has both a computer And systems Eng. degree and an IT degree that are separate to varying degrees from CS.

To answer the original question a computer scientist is often more of an academic, someone who works on algorithm/math level stuff. Where Software engineer falls more under the umbrella of programmer, but it also sort of implies a familiarity with top level design of software. Academically software engineering tends to fall under the umbrella of computer science.
  • I'm doing a snack exchange with some blokes (I believe that is the proper term) from the Australian continent/country. I know some things to get, however I want to include other uniquely American things. Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking of including as many different pig snacks as I could (pickled pigs' feet, pork rinds, etc.) with a diagram of a pig and a note saying "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED".
  • What does "Party Rocking" even mean?
    People who do the Melbourne Shuffle.
  • I assumed that the Party Rock was a holy stone crafted by Pinkie Pie.
  • I have quasi-MREs that have been expired for a year. Would they still be good to eat?
  • If I had a younger stomach, I would say yes, however aren't MREs supposed to constipate you?

I used to eat them all the time when my father was in the military.
  • Are they? I only need to eat one for one day. I don't want to make sandwiches or whatever for Saturday, and I have a bunch of MREs that expired in May 2010.

...wait, that's 2 years.

...the question stands.
  • Quick Google search:

http://survivalacres.com/information/mres.html

I was always just amazed at how I could heat them up in that bag by just adding water. I also loved the dried fruit snack as well as the mini Tabasco bottle.
  • Quick Google search:

I was always just amazed at how I could heat them up in that bag by just adding water. I also loved the dried fruit snack as well as the mini Tabasco bottle.
    I always like the bread in them. Not sure what to call it though, biscuit maybe? Also, that story further down the page was hilarious.
  • Is it weird that when cuddling with a girl that sometimes I like to be the little spoon?
  • Is it weird that when cuddling with a girl that sometimes I like to be the little spoon?
    I can't speak for being spooned by a girl, but I do love my boyfriend spooning me. Depends on the mood I'm in, but both in equal measures.
  • Is that a thing? That the guy has to always go on the outside?
    Only for those who believe in gender roles. I enjoy both, but I prefer being held.

• edited February 2012
    Is it weird that when cuddling with a girl that sometimes I like to be the little spoon?
    I don't know that "little spoon" is the proper descriptor for me, but it's nice sometimes. I mostly prefer to be the big spoon, though - probably like 85% of the time? Maybe 90%?

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    In most circumstances, the guy goes on the outside because he's taller, and so it is easier for him to be the big spoon than the little spoon.
  • In America, would it be considered normal to give your teacher a valentines card?
  • Only if you're also giving everyone else a valentine's card, which is normal up through fourth grade or so.
  • Playing board games online, is it fun? I do not really have anyone near me to play board games or RPGs with, well within about 70 miles anyway, so I was curious if that was an enjoyable alternative.
  • edited February 2012
    In America, would it be considered normal to give your teacher a valentines card?
    As a young kid, sure. After 4th grade or so, though, students stopped giving cards to their teachers (at least where I went to school). That was mostly because there would be class-wide card exchanges up until 4th grade.

EDIT:
    fourth grade
    Oh, look at that!
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Playing board games online, is it fun? I do not really have anyone near me to play board games or RPGs with, well within about 70 miles anyway, so I was curious if that was an enjoyable alternative.
    Check the Mobile iOS/Android games thread.

We are playing various multiplayer Carcassonnes, T&E, and other games. I find it to be fun.
  • When Lydia spoons me, I pretend she is a jet pack and I'm flying around the cosmos.
  • Quick Google search:

Real military MRE's will turn you off to them so fast. Chicken and Rice may not be a personal lubricant, but the Southwestern omelet is ONLY good for that.
  • edited February 2012
    Post edited by Churba on
  • WANT.
    It gets better - Our rations are nutritionally balanced and carefully designed so that you can eat them for extended periods without causing any problems like constipation and the like. They're objectively superior - Lighter(Remember, a single rat pack is for 24 hours, a single MRE is for 1 meal, so you're carrying three of them for the same period), better nutrition, won't bung you up or have you shitting through the eye of a needle, tastes better, AND we have a better can opener, the FRED.

• But do they taste like they were scrapped out of a dunny?
  • edited February 2012
    ...tastes better....
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • edited February 2012
    But do they taste like they were scrapped out of a dunny?
    Depends on the menu and your own tastebuds, but most of them don't. Which could be a positive or negative, depending on one's personal tastes.

Post edited by Churba on
  • inb4 ProfPangloss "CS people are super nerds and SE majors are condescending douchebags, IT for the win"
    I mean yeah.