This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• They did. It was called Ultramarine, and it was disappointing. A direct to DVD release from the studio that made the Bionicle movies. It wasn't all that bad but it wasn't very good either. You can see the trailers at: http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/.
    Swear to god that guy you see putting on his helmet about twenty seconds in is Leandros from the Space Marine Game.

• Does anyone know a tee-fury like site but with more anime shirts?
  • It's coming to Seattle in early January so I'm getting stoked.
  • My wife and I are thinking about moving to Vancouver, Washington and I was wondering if any of you lived near there, and if so you how much you could tell me about the area.
  • I know some friends who are from there and I've been there a couple times. I can't really tell you that much about it but it was pretty cool from my visits there. Seems fairly suburban with a short distance to Portland. I could talk to one of my co-workers next time I see him (he used to live there) and get some more information about it.
  • edited May 2012
    It's along the border and near Portland. I've only passed through it and never really spent time there. It's close enough to other urban areas to where you don't have to worry about not having certain conveniences in life.

It's a growing city in the state of Washington, but I really don't pay attention because it's "down there". I live along the sound, so I really only pay attention to cities along there.

It's close to Portland for checking hipster culture as well as Seattle for awesome conventions!

Where are you moving from?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited May 2012
    I currently live in Brunswick, Georgia which is about 70 miles south of Savannah and 30 miles north of Florida. It is a small city, although much larger than anything around it.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • edited May 2012
    hipster culture
    INDEED, although Seattle is kinda similar, just not as hippy-ish hipster. Everyone I know from Vancouver is really nerdy and cool though. Half of them are really hipster though.

As far as weather it will be colder and rainier than Georgia.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Here's my random question: Can anyone meaningfully define hipster for me? Because it seems to me like most of my characteristics and interests cause people I really, really dislike to throw that word at me, and when I say that the word "hipster" is meaningless, I get, "Only hipsters think the word hipster is meaningless."

So please, someone define it for me, because I'm deeply sick of being derided and maligned for liking what I like, doing what I do, and wearing what I wear.

(Note: Ro, this isn't an attack on you; you know you're the coolest. It's just something that's been bothering me lately.)
  • These days, hipster essentially means "young, liberal urban folks with upper/middle class backgrounds who are riding the edge of trends".
  • I think there are two stereotypes. CD and Cassette. But with hipsters, it's more of an attitude, and a dress type division - The latter, it's flanno, skinny jeans, vintage or pseudo-vintage clothing and "Odd" hairstyles. In attitude, it's the "Oh, I've heard of everything before it was cool, I'm so far ahead of you mainstream plebs, I'm so cultured and artistic."
  • I affect much of the former because I think it looks good, and I affect much of the latter because I find it hilarious.
  • I affect much of the former because I think it looks good, and I affect much of the latter because I find it hilarious.
    Looks like shit on me, I gotta admit. And I inadvertently sound like the latter to some people, because I use the internet for more than facebook.

• These days, hipster essentially means "young, liberal urban folks with upper/middle class backgrounds who are riding the edge of trends".
    This. I honestly have no issues against those who are classified as hipsters. Portland is a pretty cool place, even though I haven't been there in a long time as well as Seattle.

I love going to Seattle and hanging out in certain areas. If I were closer to Portland, I would be hanging out there more often to check out the scene of what people my age are doing.

I am also reminded of this NPR article about how Portland's diversity is on the rise.

They refer to it as The Mecca for the misplaced or many Portlandians are more likely to be engaged in almost any form of outdoor recreation.

To me, it seems like a version of Seattle, that's more than likely cheaper to live in than Seattle. Also no sales tax.

I know you're not attacking me, WuB. You're pretty awesome yourself. :P
  • edited May 2012
    I affect much of the former because I think it looks good, and I affect much of the latter because I find it hilarious.
    Looks like shit on me, I gotta admit. And I inadvertently sound like the latter to some people, because I use the internet for more than facebook.
    I really just love wearing scarfs. When I was in high school, I wore ties everyday because it provided me a weird sense of security. When I stopped wearing three-piece suits, I always felt naked without something around my neck. Scarves have filled that void, and I thought, well, might as well complete the image.

Also, shopping at Value Village is really cheap, so that helps.

The only problem I have with hipsters as a group is that they fuck people over when they congregate. When young white people who want to live in cities and are comfortable with non-white people, they move into the cheaper neighborhoods occupied by people the system has screwed. All well and good, but the mere presence of white people raises property values because it stops being an "ethnic" neighborhood and racist old white people aren't so scared of those places anymore, and this screws over the immigrants trying to live their on the cheap. It's a growing problem in many places.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited May 2012
    These days, hipster essentially means "young, liberal urban folks with upper/middle class backgrounds who are riding the edge of trends".
    Wow, so everyone I just consider a "cool person." Makes a fuckload of sense, that.
    I think there are two stereotypes. CD and Cassette. But with hipsters, it's more of an attitude, and a dress type division - The latter, it's flanno, skinny jeans, vintage or pseudo-vintage clothing and "Odd" hairstyles. In attitude, it's the "Oh, I've heard of everything before it was cool, I'm so far ahead of you mainstream plebs, I'm so cultured and artistic."
    See, quite a lot of those things I wear because I genuinely like them. However, I don't act like that at all; when I talk about things that the other person I'm conversing with doesn't know about, I generally say, "You should check this out! You'd really like it," not, "You...probably haven't heard of them." The only caveat is when I'm conversing with someone I despise, and I want them to know it, but at that point being a condescending hipster is really the least of the qualities they should worry about.

I guess if you're going to deride someone for something like that, you should call them out on being a pretentious snob, not use some slur which meant something once but has been (judging by your and Sketch's radically different answers) diluted to the point of being etymologically worthless.

Also: If you categorize bands as "Hipster Bands" or "Hipster Music" (Travel Bitch did this while I was listening to Los Campesinos, and then noted that I was "such a hipster"), you should go find a strong tree limb and string yourself up on it.
    They refer to it as The Mecca for the misplaced or many Portlandians are more likely to be engaged in almost any form of outdoor recreation.
    Man, I should really check out Portland. Sounds like my kind of town.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Well, Churba is talking about what Hipsters used to be when they were a thing you could pin down. Now, however, the word just means "young, urban, liberal, probably white, dresses weirder than I do".
  • As far as weather it will be colder and rainier than Georgia.
    Haha. This. The weather really isn't that bad as people say it is. If you can handle not as much sun with overcast, you'll be fine.

Plus, the sunny days are most excellent. You're also 1-2 hours away from awesome coastal cities to visit like Seaside, OR or Astoria, OR (where Goonies was filmed). Also Longbeach, WA is fun to visit.
  • I guess if you're going to deride someone for something like that, you should call them out on being a pretentious snob, not use some slur which meant something once but has been (judging by your and Sketch's radically different answers) diluted to the point of being etymologically worthless.
    Mere Exaggeration for effect, rather than an honest portrayal. There are really very, very few hipsters like that, but I'm making sure I get the point across.
  • At this point, most of the people who act that way are putting it on as an at least partially ironic act.

"Hipster" has followed the same course as "Hippy" did. Hippy used to refer specifically to the flower children of 1965/66/67, who rejected the materialistic, authoritarian nature of society. The sort of folks who lived in communes and stuff. It got latched onto as a word for the protestors of 67/68/69, and was applied to any left-leaning young person with interest in politics or drugs. By 1971, the word basically meant "young person not wearing their sunday best" and looped right around to self-parody with the tie-day wearing stereotype.

We're currently at the middle stage of the word, but the stereotype it describes, and even the stuff that stereotype wears and believes, has existed for a very long time and will continue to. The only reason this word sticks out so much is because the internet has spread it, the same way protest coverage spread "hippy".
  • Haha. This. The weather really isn't that bad as people say it is. If you can handle not as much sun with overcast, you'll be fine.

Plus, the sunny days are most excellent. You're also 1-2 hours away from awesome coastal cities to visit like Seaside, OR or Astoria, OR (where Goonies was filmed). Also Longbeach, WA is fun to visit.
    I actually prefer cooler weather so that would be great for me and as far as coastal cities where I live is a coastal city, although I dislike going to the beach all that much but I do take my kids some.
  • Also, Washington and Oregon kick all sorts of ass for backpacking, hiking, and kayaking, so if you like any of those things (or want to try any of them), you really can't go wrong.
  • Also, Washington and Oregon kick all sorts of ass for backpacking, hiking, and kayaking, so if you like any of those things (or want to try any of them), you really can't go wrong.
    Yeah, those are things I am a bit excited for. Camping is something you can do in southeast Georgia but that is a bit boring and hiking is not really all that fun in marshland.
  • edited May 2012
    These days, hipster essentially means "young, liberal urban folks with upper/middle class backgrounds who are riding the edge of trends".
    I sort of consider it to be many variation on this. There is the Portlandia-esque hipster, then there is sort of a straddling line between hippy and hipster, and then there is the group of hipsters that are pooled in because it would be considered alternative, plus many others.

I hadn't even heard the word until I moved to Washington honestly. I used to live in SLC for a year and a lot of the aspects people identify with hipsters was considered skater/snowboarder/skiier/"extreme sports" person. I think that is mainly due to SLC having a LARGE culture of skateboarders/snowboarders (within the last 6-7 years skiing is making a strong comeback).

EDIT: Your recent explanation is how I've viewed it. I call people hipsters and have been called a hipster. I generally tend to reserve it more for people who might be considered a modern hippy.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Why are IPS monitors still do damned expensive? You can get a 24" TN monitor for under $200. A 24" genuine IPS (and not that e-IPS stuff, which is crippled as far as I'm concerned) still goes for over $500 (at least that's what a Dell UltraSharp is going for these days).
  • They probably can't make their money back from the number they sell enough to drop the price.
  • Why are IPS monitors still do damned expensive? You can get a 24" TN monitor for under $200. A 24" genuine IPS (and not that e-IPS stuff, which is crippled as far as I'm concerned) still goes for over $500 (at least that's what a Dell UltraSharp is going for these days).
    You get what you pay for. The $550 Dell U2410 is still the best value in monitors after all these years. 27" IPS monitors are all $1000, whether you get the Apple or the Dell.

You get what you pay for. The $550 Dell U2410 is still the best value in monitors after all these years. 27" IPS monitors are all $1000, whether you get the Apple or the Dell.
    That's true, but I got a 20" Dell UltraSharp (which still works great) 8 years back or so and it cost over $500 then (I'm assuming it was IPS back then as the tech's been around since '97). Granted, that U2410 is 4 inches bigger, but I'd hope that maybe it'd be down to $300 or so (and Dell does make a $300 or so UltraSharp, but it's e-IPS and only 6-bits per subpixel, so that doesn't count). TN monitors seem to have come down in price far faster than IPS monitors have.

If I were to buy a new monitor today, I'd probably go with the U2410, especially given how well my old UltraSharp has worked. I just wish it didn't hit my bank account as much. :)
  • The U2410 is what I have at work, and what Rym just bought. The price and quality have not changed, and I don't expect them to change anytime soon.

At home I actually probably have the same 20" Ultrasharp that you do. There's really no point in getting the U2410 at home since 20" is enough, it's still IPS, and I don't think my computer could play games at the 1920x1200. It gets by nicely at 1680x1050, though.