This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Depression and Such

Comments

• edited May 2012

Chill your damn nuts. I know you know that this is about a lady, but you should frame your advice as advice and your personal revelations as personal revelations. Your bullshit is not my bullshit. I might have more of it than you, at this point, but it's still my own personal bullshit.

That said, thanks for the kind words. Don't worry too much. I'm still moving forward; I even went ahead and finished recording a song right after the event that set me off. Hang in there, be happy.
    Actually, that was aimed at a different frustration in my life, I'm sorry you happened to fit it. I tangented way far away because I don't like seeing you put yourself down and it reminded me of other things and I apologize. Sorry the timing of your problems matched up to the explosion over mine and it seemed like I took it out on you, that's not what I meant.

But I also don't want to see you be like that, because you're a great guy that has so much going for him and should always remember that.
    Post edited by Anrild on

• Chill your damn nuts. I know you know that this is about a lady, but you should frame your advice as advice and your personal revelations as personal revelations. Your bullshit is not my bullshit. I might have more of it than you, at this point, but it's still my own personal bullshit.

That said, thanks for the kind words. Don't worry too much. I'm still moving forward; I even went ahead and finished recording a song right after the event that set me off. Hang in there, be happy.
    Actually, that was aimed at a different frustration in my life, I'm sorry you happened to fit it. I tangented way far away because I don't like seeing you put yourself down and it reminded me of other things and I apologize. Sorry the timing of your problems matched up to the explosion over mine and it seemed like I took it out on you, that's not what I meant.

But I also don't want to see you be like that, because you're a great guy that has so much going for him and should always remember that.
    Much appreciated, just think about what you write. Half time I couldn't tell who the hell you were trying to talk about.
  • http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/implying-implying-implications
    I am none the wiser.

Also glad that everyone seems to be so proud of and awesome at being single now.
  • It's not really something you can be proud or good at, though. It's just a variable subject to change. X isn't good at being equal to 1 or 2, it just is.

I used to worry a lot about it, but then I realized that was dumb and that eventually stumbling into a relationship by virtue of just being me around girls I like is a lot more appealing than having to work for a girl's attentions.
  • http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/implying-implying-implications
    I am none the wiser.

Also glad that everyone seems to be so proud of and awesome at being single now.
    It is sad to see a man broken to accepting his fate.

• George, aren't you dating someone right now, anyway?
  • It's not really something you can be proud or good at, though. It's just a variable subject to change. X isn't good at being equal to 1 or 2, it just is.
    I've never understood the "I need to be in a relationship" attitude, so I'm not one to speak on it, but I agree with this approximation.
  • edited May 2012
    It's not really something you can be proud or good at, though. It's just a variable subject to change. X isn't good at being equal to 1 or 2, it just is.
    I've never understood the "I need to be in a relationship" attitude
    Agreed.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What's the problem with "Forever Alone"? I'm not too sure it doesn't have something going for it.

Here's a somewhat related question: It's obviously foreseeable that we'll one day have decent VR as portrayed in books like Ready, Player One. It's equally foreseeable that a virtual mate could be designed in any way a person wished. I know that, if this were possible now, I'd definitely spend much, much more time with my VR Doctor Helena Bonham Carter, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. than any of the women that I've recently seen on dating sites who can't spell their job titles (seriously - eHarmony sent me this profile of a woman who listed her job as "dental technition" - instant lack of any further interest).

That would make "Forever Alone" a much more viable option. Just declare yourself "Forever Alone" and spend some time with your VR SO (maybe we could call them ViRSOs) when you're bored or lonely. SOOO - will that be a problem for the geek population? Will we ever again after that be able to have enough real children after that to replace ourselves? Will we be as liable to go extinct as the Shakers because we're too happy with our VR mates to do anything in the real world?

• edited May 2012
    But that's not really alone. An AI advanced enough to be capable of the insight and emotional connection that fuels human social interaction would have to be so good at emotional processing as to be considered a conscious being.

And anyway, personally, there wouldn't be any fun for me in hanging out with a machine brain tuned to my exact romantic interests. It's the girls that fall just short of being my "perfect girl" that always end up being the ones I'm most interested in, because I like the challenge of overcoming my own qualms to grow closer to another person. A machine might be able to emulate that to the extent where I couldn't differentiate between a challenge presented to court my interest and an actual difference in personalities; however, I must confess that I'm rather fond of meatspace ladies. It's all hardwired, genetically, neurologically, and developmentally: Human skin > silicone simulacra.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    But that's not really alone. An AI advanced enough to be capable of the insight and emotional connection that fuels human social interaction would have to be so good at emotional processing as to be considered a conscious being.

And anyway, personally, there wouldn't be any fun for me in hanging out with a machine brain tuned to my exact romantic interests. It's the girls that fall just short of being my "perfect girl" that always end up being the ones I'm most interested in, because I like the challenge of overcoming my own qualms to grow closer to another person. A machine might be able to emulate that to the extent where I couldn't differentiate between a challenge presented to court my interest and an actual difference in personalities; however, I must confess that I'm rather fond of meatspace ladies. It's all hardwired, genetically, neurologically, and developmentally: Human skin > silicone simulacra.
    Technologically speaking, when we have a conscious AI we will probably have an effectively indistinguishable virtual meatspace aspect as well anyway.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah, but then we'll all probably be transhuman, so this argument will be unnecessary.
  • Human skin > silicone simulacra.
    Human skin = eczema, psoriasis, acne, shingles, etc.

• George, aren't you dating someone right now, anyway?
    I'm dating in the literal sense, I'd hardly call it a relationship at this point.

Also the root of my problem is I'm alone where I live. I have many acquaintances, but no real friends. No one ever calls me to hang out.
  • edited May 2012
    Hey Joe. Fed up with all those sanjigen women? I think you need a copy of Love Plus, or some dating sims from Japan. Japanese scientists are working day and night to make your virtual dreams a reality.

Lemon flavored film. That is all.

Actually, I know it sounds scary, but have you tried Second Life at all? That's a better chance of meeting real geeky women and doing weird stuff online.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited May 2012
    As stupid as it may sound, I keep forgetting that stuff like Second Life, Star Trek Online, and DC Universe Online even exist. Sometimes I'll remember, look at the registration pages, and then think, "I have lots of work to do", then I go away and forget about them again.

Also, NetFlix is starting to be a factor. I'm watching every Buddhism and TED lecture I can. They make me happy.

Does anyone else besides the GeekChatters have Skype conversations? I need to use Skype more. I'm looking your way, Churba.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I think I sent you a contact request last GeekChat. I'm on a fair amount usually, and I talk quite a bit with people from the boards. I'm too busy with school as of late to talk much, but come the 31st, I'll be around.
  • I think I sent you a contact request last GeekChat.
    Thanks. I'll check on that. It won't be tonight though, because I need to be awake and functioning at 4:30 a.m. tomorrow.
  • If I had to describe today in four words, I'd go with, "Panic attacks and apathy."
  • That is a basic summation of my last two weeks of this last semester at school. It only really went away after I got all the shit that was bothering me off my chest. That and school ending so I couldn't possibly fuck up there anymore.
  • Burned myself with a hot needle then got drunk and chained smoked. Good times.
  • I've been having kind of an emotionally-irrational day, having recieved calls from my mom every day this week about how my dad isn't in very good shape thanks to chemo. I'm stressing out over costume work and making it perfect and I'm just stressing myself out in every way.

So I fell back on an old hobby: sculpting. I'm making soul gems for Casey and I. It's really helping.
  • I only trust negative feedback.
  • I can't keep my mind off of horrible things.
  • del C:/System Files/Psyche/Emo Bullshit.exe
  • del C:/System Files/Psyche/Emo Bullshit.exe
    Permission denied.

• Yeah, you gotta run that shit as Administrator.
  • Yeah, you gotta run that shit as Administrator.
    I just take 20mg ProHax twice daily, with a quarter-tablet of sploitazepam as needed.
  • You might want to stop the process before you delete it's files.
  • edited June 2012
    So now I'm on Zoloft. A change for the better! I'm seeing some really minor improvements in areas that I know are serotonin-based (fatigue is going away, I'm sleeping normally, etc.) but I'm probably not going to experience any effects on my mood or anxiety for another few weeks. It's like waiting for Christmas.

Unfortunately, there're some bizarre effects I've had to deal with while my body adjusts. Right now, I just seem to be having really weird, anxiety-inducing dreams, and some nausea in the mornings. Bleh.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on