This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Depression and Such

Comments

• Bleah.

>_<
  • Yeah. Whatever, it's cost:benefit analysis. Waking up every morning for a couple weeks tense all over and ready to bargle is an acceptable cost to functioning like a normal human being.
  • edited June 2012
    So it turns out I have some slight serotonin intoxication. Been restless and nauseous all day, and my pupils are contracting and dilating like crazy. Zoloft is no longer an option.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Going through an internal crisis about my social life. If anyone could explain to me how they got through high-school, please Skype me. GregTvonH.
  • Greg, I know this is cold comport, but it gets better. It really does. Then it begins to suck again.
  • I know it gets better, but many of my peers seem to already have it better, so it seems logical that I ougt to be able to make it somewhat better short term, if that makes sense.
  • First step to making it better: Don't be concerned with your peers.
  • edited June 2012
    Greg, I know this is cold comport, but it gets better. It really does. Then it begins to suck again.
    WOOOOO! QUARTER LIFE CRISIS!!! YEAH!!!!!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited June 2012
    I know it gets better, but many of my peers seem to already have it better, so it seems logical that I ougt to be able to make it somewhat better short term, if that makes sense.
    I would hardly be suprised if many of your peers think the same of you. You're smart, you get to go to cool things, you know a bunch of awesome stuff and you're usually ahead of the curve when it comes to what's going to be cool, but without being a hipster about it.

I'm really not sure what advice I can give, since I didn't exactly do so well.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2012
    I would hardly be suprised if many of your peers think the same of you. You're smart, you get to go to cool things, you know a bunch of awesome stuff and you're usually ahead of the curve when it comes to what's going to be cool, but without being a hipster about it.
    Yeah, but I also spend most of my free time at home, and I don't think that is healthy.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Yeah, but I also spend most of my free time at home, and I don't think that is healthy.
    So? It's all good - everyone is like that a bit, until they learn to drive. Fuggedaboutit.

• That's actually the most comforting thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks.
  • That's actually the most comforting thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks.
    No worries, man. Before I had my license, I used to worry about the exact same thing.
  • Churba's right. I was always stuck at home and felt like I was a loser, and that everyone else was hanging out with each other. It was only because they were pretty much in walking distance. Not my fault I lived far away from everyone.
  • My doctor prescribed Zoloft to help with my depression and anxiety. It was fine for about three days; on the fourth, I promptly developed hypomania, and then serotonin syndrome. So, today, Doc switched me to Xanax while he figures out what to do next.

This is the timeline of Xanax effects I discovered today:

Hour 1: You've just eaten a pot brownie which has kicked in instantly after you washed it back with two triples of Jameson. Your brain is all like "Whatevs bro I'm down for anything chill because things are melting" and your body is all like, "Let's fucking do it man also I'm made out of silly putty."

Hour 2: This weird feeling where your anxiety wants to come back in force, but the drug is holding it back, so you're alternating between keyed-up/worried and super fucking chill. Your perception of things is still kind of muted and out-of-sync.

Hour 3: Your body and brain get tired of worrying and just go, "Fuck it, fuck everything." Absolutely nothing is remotely important, but your body is handling itself normally again.

Hour 4-6: Imagine the hardest you have ever chilled in your entire life, then imagine chilling like thirty times harder. I think this is probably how the Dalai Lama feels all the time.
  • So you're like 3 Kelvin or so?
  • I'm a Bose-Einstein Condensate, dawg. I'm so chill light is bending around me.
  • Sounds like something I'd read on Erowid.
  • I spent my entire school career at home, in the middle of nowhere, with no car. Now I make new friends every month. They're both perfectly good ways of living, you just have to figure out how to be okay with a little solitude and, possibly, culture shock.
  • WUB, everything you're saying sounds horrifying to me.
  • edited July 2012
    WUB, everything you're saying sounds horrifying to me.
    See, I was really anxious about taking Xanax too. And then I took Xanax.

Also, I'm not sure how being totally chill is terrifying. I haven't felt this good in literally over a decade.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I really noticed the importance of sleep affecting your mood over this past week, since finally today I got sleep for a true 8 hours. I was so happy and relaxed.

Because for most of the week, I felt miserable and sickly, because I was only getting 3-4 hours of sleep. (And my schedule was that of, Fall asleep at 8 AM, wake up at 2 PM). Just waking up uncomfortably from the heat or heartburn and it really did affect my motivation to do so many other things.
  • edited July 2012
    Definitely can relate to a few of those. :P
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Just had a crying fit in a coffee shop. Nobody noticed/cared until I left.
    What prompted the crying fit?
    Seeing a former friend triggered a spiral of negativity and self-hatred that ended up in suicidal territory.
    Seeing a former friend triggered a spiral of negativity and self-hatred that ended up in suicidal territory.
    :(

Are you on anything to level you out? Seeing a therapist?

Yes and yes, and it's improved my situation. They don't always help, though.

Yes and yes, and it's improved my situation. They don't always help, though.
    Well it's good you're not going it "bareback" though.

We had to mess with my daughter's SSRI dose for a while to find a good balance of maintaining her "normal" personality and emotional states while mitigating side effects and nasty lows. I think she's got a pretty mild case, though.