This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Board Games [iOS & Android]

Comments

• That's what I keep fucking up. Not paying attention to the adjacent to base bonuses.
  • How do you get Neuroshima Hex to notify on my turn?
  • I have determined that red always beats green

EDIT: Green team is just awful. Even though some of its units are cool, they are so few of them that it is at a serious disadvantage.
    I challenged Scott to a Green vs. Red battle and was able to debunk the "red always beats green" theory. Of course, in the rematch, I am getting completely butthurt.

• I have determined that red always beats green

EDIT: Green team is just awful. Even though some of its units are cool, they are so few of them that it is at a serious disadvantage.
    I challenged Scott to a Green vs. Red battle and was able to debunk the "red always beats green" theory. Of course, in the rematch, I am getting completely butthurt.

Green has the power to be annoying since they have high initiative ranged guys and can move around a lot. I failed in that first game mostly because I kept forgetting that the base is also a booster to adjacent friendly units both for me and the opponent. In the second game I took max advantage of +1 ranged damage to guys adjacent to my base. I also made sure to box you in so movement couldn't help you. Thirdly I filled in the rows directly leading to my base, so ranged guys couldn't hit me. Red just has too many actual units. You can afford to waste them and such. Green you need every unit to be maximally effective to have a chance.

Now to work on my blue/yellow.
  • edited July 2012
    Im a big fan of the purplish expansion pack faction, its New York I think? Theyre super defensive and are all about holing up near the base and playing things a little more safe. Their rocket launcher unit is nuts, but most units have pretty bad initiative if I remember correctly.

Also I think the big difference btwn the ios and android versions is that the android one doesnt have online MP yet, right? Or does it now?
    Post edited by johndis on
  • No online MP and no expansion armies. Yet.
  • I hope it actually gets cross platform MP so we can battle each other you fucker.
  • edited July 2012
    I haven't played enough to dip into the expansion armies. I'll kick a few bucks at them if I ever get really bored with the game.
    I have determined that red always beats green
    Thirdly I filled in the rows directly leading to my base, so ranged guys couldn't hit me.
    This more than anything won that game. I had a pretty good attack coming together. Multi-attacking ranged guys were going to fire down two different lanes, but the spots around your base were still empty, so right before I got my attack off, BAM, shield dudes in both spots = I deal zero damage. Lost all momentum after that first attack.

It does seem that Green is a poor match against Red. I played a few AI-hard matches and won slightly less than half. Luck of the draw played a huge factor. The Green units are all situationally strong, not universally strong, so you can draw them at the wrong time. If your draws are out of whack, such as getting mostly actions, you'll be on the back foot the entire game. That being said I did just beat the AI 20-4, showing that Green can be a beast when they do get the right stuff at the right time.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I've done a lot of work with the blue team. The key is to put your base one space away from the opponent. If you place first, go in the middle. Then use the initiative bonus to lay it on thick and heavy to where even if you get killed, you'll get your shots off with your first strike even if your units are destroyed after the battle.
  • If you want to play a dry old-man style historical wargame, Levée en Masse from Victory Point Games just came out for iOS. French Revolution naval combat board game.
  • So I'm assuming Neuroshima Hex is a good game? I had the game and loved the single player, but I never revisited it since Online Multiplayer came out.
  • I rather enjoy it. I feel like luck of the draw is a factor in the game, though not as significant as I had previously thought. It's pretty hard for someone to legitimately run away with the game solely because of luck.

What I really like is that a game takes 10 minutes or so, and it's a solid 10 minutes of entertainment.
  • edited July 2012
    I feel like luck wouldn't be as big of a factor if you reshuffled discarded cards and played til the last base standing, but it's possible to lose cause of one point of damage, which means there's like no margin of error in the game with equally matched opponents. Theres no mitigating bad luck essentially, even if it's minor. I don't think that's such a bad thing tho, cause its a big part of why the game plays so fast and fun and intense

I like that it's really easy to pinpoint the exact move that made you lose a game.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • If you dislike the luck factor, play Advance Wars with me. There's no luck involved when I crush you. ;^)
  • Advance Wars is tits.
  • Neuroshima Hex - Steel Police army. Not in the mobile app yet, but I really want to try these guys out. They're another army with a very low unit count, and figuring out how to make The Outpost (green) work was a fun challenge.image
  • Low unit count sucks ass. Even if it's possible to make it work with intelligent moves, luck becomes a factor. Oh, you drew a movement and a battle while you have no units on the board. Great!
  • You just have to be conservative with your units in that case. Play keep-away.

Also, those purple guys have two units that get a free push on their turn. And did you see those modules? Damn son.
  • edited July 2012
    Those modules will all be used to just surround your base and take up damage while you wait to draw actual units. Meanwhile enemy base is surrounded with defense, and you will never break in. Red/Blue 4 LIFE.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2012
    The big unit up top? His special power is he enters the board right on top of an enemy unit and squashes it. The red triangles on the bottom of units are shot reflection, not just shot blocking. The "big eye" special action prevents the enemy from playing units next turn (only actions and modules). The real kicker is that the HQ can net any 1 unit on the board at a cost of 1 hit point (unless the net module is out, in which case the HQ can reassign its net once per turn for no cost).
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited July 2012
    Low unit count sucks ass. Even if it's possible to make it work with intelligent moves, luck becomes a factor. Oh, you drew a movement and a battle while you have no units on the board. Great!
    Holy crap, this newest faction, Dancer, which is not yet out in the US, only has THREE UNITS. If any of the three die, you lose the game.

Obviously this is not the same as talking about 12-13 units in the green or purple armies, but it's pretty outside the box and has me interested. There is no HQ, they are the HQ split into three parts (each has 10 health and a ton of firepower).

The deck is almost all moves and battles, except for 7 "action" tiles that let you either have a unit attack outside of battle, or heal that unit for +2 health.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Those modules will all be used to just surround your base and take up damage while you wait to draw actual units. Meanwhile enemy base is surrounded with defense, and you will never break in. Red/Blue 4 LIFE.
    Again, note the pusher robots. Oh, and those extra action modules that affect two units each.

Low unit count means that you need to make every unit count.

• I just finished everything in Jetpack Joyride, I've been really enjoying games like that and temple run. Does anyone have anything similar that they recommend for the iOS
  • Those purple guys have terrrrible initiative too. One dude with 3, 4 guys with 1. Tho three of those guys get another attack on 0 and can move around hmm. Also my guess with the base bonus is that attached units cant be netted?
  • I just finished everything in Jetpack Joyride, I've been really enjoying games like that and temple run. Does anyone have anything similar that they recommend for the iOS
    Tiny Wiiiiiiiings if you havent played it yet. Just got a big update too, and if you have an ipad, the HD version has splitscreen races :)
  • World of Goo is fun times on the iOS. I'm happy I waited to get it on this platform vs the Wii or Steam.
  • World of Goo is fun times on the iOS. I'm happy I waited to get it on this platform vs the Wii or Steam.
    I may have to try it on Android from the sound of it.
  • At PAX East, there were many an iOS game being pimped in the Exhibition room. I was cleaning and found a post card for one of them. It's called Bean's Quest. It's also on Android/Google Play. It's a fun platformer where you're a guy who was turned into a bean trying to save his girl. You collect jewels and Axolotl. It's not too hard, but the challenge is to go through each level with the least amount of jumps.

It's currently on sale for $1.99 on iOS. It's a fun game to play to kill some time.
  • At PAX East, there were many an iOS game being pimped in the Exhibition room. I was cleaning and found a post card for one of them. It's called Bean's Quest. It's also on Android/Google Play. It's a fun platformer where you're a guy who was turned into a bean trying to save his girl. You collect jewels and Axolotl. It's not too hard, but the challenge is to go through each level with the least amount of jumps.

It's currently on sale for $1.99 on iOS. It's a fun game to play to kill some time.
    No, the challenge, like most iOS games, is trying to play it with the damn touch screen :P

I'm buying this day 1:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

No, the challenge, like most iOS games, is trying to play it with the damn touch screen :P

I'm buying this day 1:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

Well I would not get your hopes up, Apple owns the Patent for a controller on a tablet and we all know what that means....innovation is ruined.