This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns of Icarus Online

Comments

• For those who have already purchased the original game, will there be any sort of discount or something? I don't remember how much I paid for it, so disregard my question if it's $10 or less
    You probably paid 5-8 bucks for it, depending on when you bought it and if it was during a sale.
    There will probably be no discount, because it isn't really the same game. Sorry.
  • edited June 2011
    All of this sounds absolutely awesome, though I remember games like Star Trek Online having certain issues regarding the "become a crewmate" mechanic. I think they were toying around with the idea of players joining other people's crews, and then ultimately building up their character to be able to pilot their own Starship. After much playtesting, STO found that practically EVERYBODY wanted their own ship right off the bat, and no one had the patience to work up to that.
    We are definitely designing this in such a way that advanced players will want to crew sometimes, not just always captain their own ship.

A better analogy than Star Trek Online is Natural Selection (or another FPS/RTS hybrid of your choice). The captain is the commander: he has access to some extra information, and the ability to order people around and do some support stuff, but everything has to actually get done by crewers. As I understand it, STO had the captain directly controlling basically everything, which left the "crew" with very little in the way of decisions.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • Unless only specific classes can customize certain aspects of the ship. Make the ship a shared resource, not beholden to any one person. the group must all care for it equally.
    That's a good idea - Because then, even if a ship has a captain, doesn't mean he can necessarily cruise about by himself, being all captain-y. And as Roboto said, some people just want to watch the world burn play as a specific class - After all, a captain and engineer might be able to man a gun, but a gunner will be more effective. A gunner and a captain can't do more than the most basic repairs on a ship. An engineer can start the engines, and a gunner can protect the ship, but they can't navigate to where they want to go without the captain.
  • An engineer could even specialize in repairing ship damage, as well as providing buffs to the ship during an encounter.
  • Just caught up with this thread. Never played the original, but this sounds awesome! Gonna go sign up for that list.
  • Via MuseGame's Twitter: This will be a thing in our new game , Guns of Icarus Online #goi #neverTooBro Pic: http://bit.ly/lVpA2f Page: http://bit.ly/kVjDwI

I lol'd.
  • Signed up for Beta, waiting for invite. Also told Sturmgrenadier, and a few of them have shown interest.

• I FREAKING LOVE MY JOB!
  • I FREAKING LOVE MY JOB!
    Are you kidding? By the look of it, I freakin' love your job too. Though I don't really get paid. Or do any work. But what you produce, top notch.
  • That's a purdy lighter (oh, and the trailer's cool too!).
  • edited August 2011
    5 people, 3 weeks for that cinematic. Now we are back on in game weapons.

Fun in joke: The lighter says Los Gambinos. Mike Gambino is our animator friend. He's on a different contract now, but I just went out for beer with him and the guys this evening.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Clouds look nice. Did you guys check out this SigGraph talk during development?
  • edited October 2011
    Gah, the animator in me wants to comment that the planes motion feels way too flighty and weightless, but the steampunk enthusiast is all "Shut up biplanes verus zepplins OMG!"

Colour me super interested!
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Yeah, I really want to play this on my new PC...

I'm pretty sure I signed up for the beta. Kinda hope I get it.
  • I LOVE the short Paths of Hate! Those shaders are fantastic.
  • I LOVE the short Paths of Hate! Those shaders are fantastic.
    OMG Do you know where I can find the full length version? Only the trailer is on youtube.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm pretty sure it is a short film. Actually, I have only seen the minute long trailer.
    I'm betting it is just making the rounds at film festivals and it will be hard to get a hold of for a while.
  • This looks very cool. Isn't Guns of Icarus on Steam? If so, and if I buy it, will you guys get any money from it? I feel like I want to support this endeavor in some small way, although my game supply is pretty booked at the moment.
  • Yes, it's on Steam.
  • I like the pretty trailer. Honestly looking forward to this.
  • edited November 2011
    Wow! And I didn't need to bump the thread at all!
    That came out today, didn't it? Keep in mind, this is all pre-alpha footage, so the final game should look even better. For example, I'd like to spice up the terrain you fly over and through. I'm pretty proud of what we've done so far!

Edit: Also, Squadron, if you buy the game on Steam, Valve takes a little cut, but we get most of the profits! Don't judge Icarus Online by the original Guns of Icarus game, though. Our staff has grown, as have my own person skills.
  • I loved it because it showed some serious proof of concept. I thought the 'film' effect was neat, but it sort of made the game look laggy and jerky at the same time. :\
  • edited November 2011
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You guys get lots of credit for showing actual gameplay instead of bullshot.
  • I loved it because it showed some serious proof of concept. I thought the 'film' effect was neat, but it sort of made the game look laggy and jerky at the same time. :\
    That's really the only post-processing we did on it. We've got complements and complaints on it, so I guess as a trailer choice it was 50/50.

That's really the only post-processing we did on it. We've got complements and complaints on it, so I guess as a trailer choice it was 50/50.

The film effect isn't there during actual gameplay? I am disappoint.
  • edited November 2011
    We can do it, we've been experimenting with in game grain, but the one in the trailer is just a filter overlay in AE.
  • We can do it, we've been experimenting with in game grain, but the one in the trailer is just a filter overlay in AE.
    As long as the sound of the film spinning fades out once the actual game starts. It can get louder again when you die/respawn/game end.
  • Something done in L4D (Go play the commentary, do it.) is the film grain shows up only in darkness.