This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns of Icarus Online

Comments

• edited October 2012
    We started yelling starboard and port during office matches.
    Also, I'm glad Nine is playing. He got on a really early beta that was bugged to hell. Two ships spawned on top of each other and exploded. I think he was amused, and it's nice to be able to show off the game in a more playable state.
    I was actually with him in that game, I remember that, we were both cackling like idiots. It happened to both of us more than once - we often play together. I also spawned in weird spots, like on top of the envelope, or down on the end of a goldfish's fins.

Nine and I both tend to use a mix of Aeronautical terms and odd random slang. Port and starboard normally, but we often don't use them in the in-game voice chat, we tend to use them in the side-band skype we have going - it confuses people otherwise, so we end up with "Hard a-starboard. HARD A-STARBOARD. FUCK TURN RIGHT JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL."

I think, at some point, I'm going to try jumping onto another ship. I don't even want to know if it's going to work ahead of time, because it'll be fun trying.
    Oh those were the days.
    I still claim silliest bug report - "Crescent Wrench is not a crescent wrench, it's a Shifting Spanner."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    I second the feeling of wanting to try and jump onto enemy ships. That was pretty much my first thought. If you guys do an expansion, add marines with hang-gliders!

Seriously though. The game is very, very pretty and pretty fun so far, and I really want to play this with people I know on the voice chat because that seems to be the optimal method.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited October 2012
    I second the feeling of wanting to try and jump onto enemy ships. That was pretty much my first thought. If you guys do an expansion, add marines with hang-gliders!
    I'm gonna try it. I don't know what I'll do if it works, it's not like I can damage their ship with my magic rubber hammer. It's gonna confuse the hell out of whoever is on that ship, though.
    Seriously though. The game is very, very pretty and pretty fun so far, and I really want to play this with people I know on the voice chat because that seems to be the optimal method.
    Add me with the social doverlacker, I'm Churba, as always.

Post edited by Churba on
  • You can sometimes get on other ships, people have done it. Boarding doesn't work so hot because of the way the characters are tied to ship instances. It may seem like you are individual characters, but basically the ship is the big box full of data that contains you. Boarding is really hard, but it is absolutely the thing we get asked about the most. The only way I could see it working is if we had jetpacks or gliders or something you could use and they are like a mini-ship. I think I want to do airplanes attacking before I do boarding.

• edited October 2012
    Noooo I didn't want to know until I'd fallen through a few ships. I'm still gonna try, just to mess with people.

Also, there's a GoI subreddit now, for what it's worth. It's emptier than a book of honest politicians, but it's there. Suggestions, header images, whatever you've got, I'm up for it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Just had an excellent match piloting a flamethrower-equipped Squid. Staying close behind/above Galleons is tough but very rewarding work.

Also, figured out my ship loadouts and a naming schema for the ships - all will bow before the guns of the HHS Friendship.

EDIT: Also, since the GoI social setup is removed from the Steam friends list, should we post our usernames? I'm Linkigi.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • 8 day roster is now over, and I have a few hours spare to redeem my Icarus keys. I feel this evening will vanish pretty quickly.
  • edited October 2012
    I played my first match tonight. Generally pretty fun, though I spent a lot of time trying to put out fires with a mallet and crying. I think it'd be great to play with a team of people I know, since the crew I joined didn't seem to like voice chat (or text chat, for that matter).

EDIT: By the by, I'm "Nathaniel Keats" in game.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Also, don't forget you have to add from both sides, the whole friends thing is asymmetric, as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm gonna have to lean on you guys a bit - Please, contribute to the Guns of Icarus Subreddit, just to get it off the ground. Screenshots, chatter, whatever else you want to do. I'm gonna try to keep it pretty civil in there, and not let it turn into a shithole.
  • edited November 2012
    Question from the Subreddit - Is there any way to remove the UI for screenshots? GoI is a game that can produce some great desktops and pretty screenshots.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • We started yelling starboard and port during office matches.
    Also, I'm glad Nine is playing. He got on a really early beta that was bugged to hell. Two ships spawned on top of each other and exploded. I think he was amused, and it's nice to be able to show off the game in a more playable state.
    I drooled when I saw the finished product. So pretty and awesome. Still gotta play it more, but I got too many games. Why can't I play all these games!!!1¡
  • any idea why when I go to play the game I get the purchase screen instead of actually loading the game.. blahhhh.
  • any idea why when I go to play the game I get the purchase screen instead of actually loading the game.. blahhhh.
    Sounds like you have a beta, not a retail, key. How did you get the game?
  • edited November 2012
    Bought it through steam during the beta.

//At least I think I did... maybe I didn't :-p Maybe I got it from being on the mailing list.. nevermind I is dumb.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited December 2012
    Maybe you guys will see a little popularity spike in the near future. Some YouTube Let's-Players have started posting videos on it, namely Gassy Mexican (350k subscribers), Chilled Chaos (216k), and EatMyDiction (158k). Those guys are also buddies with SeaNanners, though Nanners has admittedly a lot more followers (1.34 million), when SeaNanners started posting videos for the Source mod The Hidden, its popularity spiked up pretty significantly (or so I am told). Their videos on Trouble in Terrorist Town also gave that mod a popularity boost.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I love the music, btw. I literally spent twenty minutes with the main screen opened while I was doing other work just listening!

I still haven't had the opportunity to play much, but I'm trying to make time.
  • Oh hey yeah we're a Steam daily deal today, and are the number 2 top-seller in the Linux store.

(did I mention we released for Steam Linux?)
  • edited August 2013
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Congrats, Guns of Icarus was featured in Extra Credits' newest installment of "Games you might not have tried"
  • You can sometimes get on other ships, people have done it. Boarding doesn't work so hot because of the way the characters are tied to ship instances. It may seem like you are individual characters, but basically the ship is the big box full of data that contains you. Boarding is really hard, but it is absolutely the thing we get asked about the most. The only way I could see it working is if we had jetpacks or gliders or something you could use and they are like a mini-ship. I think I want to do airplanes attacking before I do boarding.
    I could see having measures like boarding ropes and grapples that would let you pull an enemy ship in close and extend the box of data so your character could be on their ship, or stream data so the enemy ship accepts you.
  • Extending the box in Unity doesn't really work, it just stretches everything to be bigger. Assuming that the box of data is what I assume it to be in Unity.
  • Extending the box in Unity doesn't really work, it just stretches everything to be bigger. Assuming that the box of data is what I assume it to be in Unity.
    It isn't.
  • Ah. I assumed they just meant that all the player's in the hierarchy were children to the ship in hierarchy. When you talk about Unity, that's what I think of when I hear "box of data."

But if it's something else, yeah, can probably be changed.
  • Well, maybe it is what he meant. Stretching the limits of a box containing data shouldn't make the data in it more or less anything, it should just be able to include more data or ranges of data. I think that's more to the point.
  • Well, maybe it is what he meant. Stretching the limits of a box containing data shouldn't make the data in it more or less anything, it should just be able to include more data or ranges of data. I think that's more to the point.
    More of what I was thinking I believe. I'm only going from the abstract, don't know the details so I apologize.
  • Like I said. If it's the boxes that represent the boundaries of the game in the real world, and the players are actually child'd to the ship in the hierarchy, then that's the box that is being referred to, and stretching it affects the scale of the ship and all objects child'd to it.
    However, if the box of data is not that, then again, I am tots teh wrongs.
  • As far as I can infer, the players on a ship are all part of a ship's data object, which I can see being useful in an enormous number of ways. Implementing boarding would mean, for example, having to deal with the case where your ship blows up while you're on another ship. Normally, everything on your ship should disappear and respawn, but you are on another ship and so shouldn't die. Which would mean separately tracking player statuses from the ships, making things significantly more complex, and potentially introducing a shitload of bugs.
  • Yeah, that's a thing. Sending messages to the player to run methods for things like dying would be much harder if the player was not directly connected to the ship. This could only really be solved by making sure each player object has a unique name and searching the ENTIRE scene to send messages to. But this could give a performance hit when you take Wi-Fi shit into account.
  • Why not have the data of the player character transfer from ship to ship during a boarding? That way the enemy ship keeps track of the character data, and keeps them alive if their parent ship is destroyed.
  • You shouldn't keep them alive if their parent ship is destroyed.

Also, again, if my assumption is correct, moving them from ship to ship is hard. If it's wrong, might be easier.