This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice & Fire)

Comments

• Kevin: the new hbo series will be called Game of Thrones : Clash of Kings
    or GOT COK
    :D
    me: HAHAHAAH
    Lydia: hahaha
    Omar: lol
    Jason: +1
  • A little inside stuff about season 2 from HBO. I don't really think it contains any spoilers. Just people that will be in season 2.

• So, I just started watching the show and am about halfway through.

I have to say so far I'm pretty disappointed. I like that a lot of the dialogue is pulled straight from the book, but there are a few key changes they made that make characters like Ned and Catelyn much less complex. They also pretty much stripped a lot of the significance from the sex scenes (and other scenes too), which are generally quite important to character and plot development. Also, needs more wolves!

I'm curious about how those who haven't read the book are following it. The scenes are so stripped down and short that they seem like they would end up being confusing. I think this could have benefited a lot from a longer run of episodes. There is enough intrigue and action to fill twice as many. They are doing a pretty good job at showing you who is a jackass, but a lot of the depth of the characters gets lost. That's partially because the characters whose development is primarily done through internal dialogue are "developed" on screen by giving them a dramatic closeup while they stare silently at something. It's also because they have had to strip out a lot of the character scenes. This is particularly prevalent with Danerys and John.

I think Syrio is my favorite portrayal so far. But then, he's pretty much a toss-in awesome dude, so he's easy to like.

• I haven't read the book and only for about the first eps was I slightly lost in the characters, after that i got into it big time.

It's funny because usually people seem to be happier with the show then the books in general. I think Alex said "The shows does a great job of making sorta crappy books good :-p"
  • I haven't read the book and only for about the first eps was I slightly lost in the characters, after that i got into it big time.

It's funny because usually people seem to be happier with the show then the books in general. I think Alex said "The shows does a great job of making sorta crappy books good :-p"
    I would disagree with this. I think the books are great... with the first three being outstanding. Four and five haven't lived up to the previous ones because Martin has been basically setting up all the characters for the end-game, in what I hope is an epic last couple of books.

The whole scrapping the 5-year planned gap, and having to split book four into two books really screwed him up.
  • It depends on what you're looking for. I don't think the books get you as emotionally invested in the characters as some other comparable fantasy. Because of that, I wouldn't consider it as good as some of my favorites. Unfortunately the show is even worse at it because of all the jumping around and the lack of character exploration.

However, the politics and personal struggles in the books are pretty good. It's very interesting because it seems like what the world-building is going for is "normal" human interactions during the summer and crazy dark fantasy magic stuff during the winter. I haven't gotten past the first book, so I don't the full extent of the storyline.

Personally, political intrigue is one of my primary interests in fantasy. I have been enjoying the book quite a bit. If you're looking for crazy magic and high fantasy, this probably isn't the set of books for you.
  • edited January 2012
    Why hello Season 2 trailer, how lovely to see you.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • My body is ready!
  • edited January 2012
    :D:D:D Yay old scenes I had forgotten about!

I'd forgotten what it was like with Joffrey around.. looks like they're doing all the Sansa torture stuff :(
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Winter is coming. (looks like we are starting to have long summers here, hope that means we don't have a two year winter :-p)
  • The last thing I read this morning before leaving for work were some fairly apocryphal words from Littlefoot about trust.
  • I am giddy as a school girl.
  • It's looking pretty good. I'm on the third book right now, and shit just keeps hitting the fan, over and over.
  • edited February 2012
    It's looking pretty good. I'm on the third book right now, and shit just keeps hitting the fan, over and over.
    That's Red Wedding territory right there.
  • I just hit the Red Wedding. You are so correct it hurts.
  • Aria is catching cats.
  • Oh ho ho. She'll catch more than cats when the time comes.
  • edited February 2012
  • I don't really see any spoilers in there. The Dothraki one is my favorite.
  • Just a possibility for anyone who hasn't read the books or watched the first season, even though it becomes obvious within the first episode.
  • I don't recall the character Hodor. Who is he carrying on his back? Is that supposed to be the Stark boy who is handicapped?
  • edited February 2012
    I am assuming it's Bran.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Just started Dance with Dragons. Favorite character: Dany. Least favorite: Tyrion. I liked him before, but it seems like he's getting by more on luck than brains (like he was before).
  • edited March 2012
    We were geeking out about the Simpsons thing at work. The office is totally on a Game of Thrones kick and everyone has started reading the books because there is no more show for a few months. More than once there have been random references related to things we were doing, or discussing what the family motto of our respective "houses" should be.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Just started Dance with Dragons. Favorite character: Dany. Least favorite: Tyrion. I liked him before, but it seems like he's getting by more on luck than brains (like he was before).
    I think it's an arc that will pan out for him. I'm sticking with the Tyrion love! Dany definitely has her payoff moments, I just wish they would come a bit more frequently. I know her pacing is intentionally slow but damn, it is quite a slog sometimes.

I think it's an arc that will pan out for him. I'm sticking with the Tyrion love! Dany definitely has her payoff moments, I just wish they would come a bit more frequently. I know her pacing is intentionally slow but damn, it is quite a slog sometimes.

I hope your right about Tyrion but, for me, Martin has done such a good job in changing opinions of characters for the better (Jaime, the spider, Cersei) that I fear he'll try to reverse and one of the "good" characters will ultimately become the big bad of the series. My monies on either Tyrion or John with an inkling of maybe Bran. Pure supposition I know but I worry about it because I don't want to change my impressions of these characters.
  • Hm I will really have to go think on that for a while, I hadn't actually thought about the series getting a true "big bad" beyond the faceless threat of the Others and winter weather.
  • Martin has done such a good job in changing opinions of characters for the better (Jaime, the spider, Cersei)
    Psh, fuck Cercei. I hated reading from her point of view because I felt like I was supposed to feel sorry for her, and I still hate her. But at least we get to feel her shame when she (almost) gets what she deserves (I felt that she deserved much worse, maybe that'll happen later if Martin doesn't die on us.)

Srsly though, I think Tyrion will be a big hero in the end, and maybe everyone will stop hating him.