This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• What kind of gun is this?
  • Its a Savage 6a, or similar model. Tube-fed semi-automatic .22.
  • I'm looking at a Mosin from a private seller. Cosmoline is already removed, and it comes with about 80 rounds, half surplus and half new. $100. What might the wise ones think?
  • Do you get to handle the firearm beforehand?

• edited August 2012
    What kind of Mosin? A Mosin is like the AK of the bolt action world, that is it's a piece of crap, but it works and it's cheap. Generally speaking the only problem you'll have with one is headspace, if you're buying from a gun shop you can ask them to check it for you I suppose. The issue with out of spec headspace is it can cause the cases to break at the base, and the problem with that is there's no where for the gasses to go but down the barrel or into your face. Wear glasses when you shoot the surplus ammo.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well I'm sure I'd have the option to say no if it seemed like a piece of shit. And It's just a regular 91-30. But hmm, I hadn't heard if it exploding in people's faces like that. Maybe I will go with my previous plan of getting an old single shot shotgun next...
  • Well I'm sure I'd have the option to say no if it seemed like a piece of shit. And It's just a regular 91-30. But hmm, I hadn't heard if it exploding in people's faces like that. Maybe I will go with my previous plan of getting an old single shot shotgun next...
    It doesn't explode in your face per say. You just get a face full of burnt powder. It won't hurt you...probably.
  • So, yeah. Just another mass shooting. No biggie.
  • What's with all the fucking crazies lately. >_>
  • What's with all the fucking crazies lately. >_>
    Full moon?

• How could this happen in NYC? They have some of the strongest gun control laws in the country.
  • How could this happen in NYC? They have some of the strongest gun control laws in the country.
    They have anti-murder laws too. Laws don't prevent criminals from doing bad things. That's what makes them criminals.

All the law can do is make it harder for someone to commit a crime. Sadly it's can't always make it hard enough.

• Andrew was being facetious...
  • Andrew was being facetious...
    Sorry, I hear that question asked seriously so often I forget that some people actually think this stuff through.

• It appears that all of the victims except for the first one were shot by stray police bullets. From everything I've read thus far, only one officer bullet (out of 14) actually struck the gunman, and the gunman only shot one person.

The person he shot? Co-worker he was mad at. Followed him down the street and shot him in the head and chest at point blank range.
  • Now aren't we glad the police don't carry assault rifles. >_>
  • Now aren't we glad the police don't carry assault rifles. >_>
    I wasn't exactly wishing that they were before this. >_>

• It appears that all of the victims except for the first one were shot by stray police bullets. From everything I've read thus far, only one officer bullet (out of 14) actually struck the gunman, and the gunman only shot one person.

The person he shot? Co-worker he was mad at. Followed him down the street and shot him in the head and chest at point blank range.
    NEW YORK'S FINEST.

So apparently, we need more stringent gun control FOR THE COPS.

• The whole police officer "if I pull the trigger once I'd might as well empty my magazine" mentality is bothersome for sure.
  • The whole police officer "if I pull the trigger once I'd might as well empty my magazine" mentality is bothersome for sure.
    I'm astounded that such shitty marksmanship manages to pass muster at their annual qualification.
    I'm astounded that such shitty marksmanship manages to pass muster at their annual qualification.
    I am wondering if marksmanship is even part of their annual qualification.
  • Part of the reason for the bulletspam from cops is Dead Man's Ten; hitting a guy is no guarantee he'll go down; anything short the spine, head or maybe the heart and somebody hopped on adrenaline has pretty good odds of continuing just as before, but if you hammer enough bullets into them, at the very least you'll turn enough muscle to mush that he can't keep going.

The problem is you are only supposed to do this if you know you can hit with every shot and they are a direct threat, and you definitely shouldn't be doing that shit somewhere crowded like NYC.

(I learned about this doing research for damage in Hardboiled. An essentially dead character getting 1d3 more actions before croaking is going to be awesome.)
  • I've read some stuff about the NYPD's gun policies that are pretty bizarre.

Apparently when they went from six shooters (I'm sure someone here knows what make model, colour and what wine goes best with it), which have a 12lb trigger pull to Glocks with a 5.5lb pull they were having dramatically higher incidents of accidental discharge. Instead of retraining the officers and teaching them proper trigger discipline (like pretty much every other police force in NA) they decided that issuing Glocks with a 12lb trigger was the solution.

This really seems to demonstrate an "EVERYTHING IS FINE FUCK YOU FOR ASKING" mentality.
  • Perhaps a better solution is to return to single action revolvers. Less rounds in the gun at any time and it requires a non-trivial physical action in order to fire it for every round.
  • edited August 2012
    Or you know, increase training requirements. From my understanding of the situation, most of the casualties were due to ricochets and fragmentation. Watching the video, it seems that the officers really just sort of stumbled upon the perp in a busy area and had to react to a hostile action. They should have known better.

I'd also be curious to know whether they were using hollowpoints or FMJ.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • eh I wouldn't go that far. Not when the bad guys have much more firepower. They just need to be fucking trained properly.
  • edited August 2012
    I have never met a Police Officer who believes that if they shoot one round they might as well empty the whole gun.

I have watched and read many after actions where officers kept shooting until they were empty due to many reasons, mostly the stress of being in a life and death situation and the inability of all but the most highly trained people to actually count rounds.

Going to single action revolvers would in no way prevent the problem here and would cause needless deaths in the future.

Firing a Glock, especially NYPD issued Glocks with the heavy heavy trigger is not a non-trivial action. In fact, the heavy trigger pull required will cause more inaccuracy with most shooters due to having to work really hard to get the trigger back. Add to that the general lack of training for the NYPD and you end up with what we all saw here.

Most police officers are not "shooters" are not into practice shooting or any kind of gun culture. They do the minimum required by their department to pass what is usually a static exam.

NYPD is the largest police department in the world with over 45,000 officers. The standards are no where near as high as it should be, but hey, look at what they pay for a starting wage for a NYPD officer.

The answer here is better and more training.
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • edited August 2012
    [Derp]
    Post edited by WindUpBird on