This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Now that's a fine troll, but simply not true. As I said before, those N64 wrestlers were classics. I can't speak to THQ's modern wrestling games though. Never played one (and no real interest).
    Seriously. That arcade Royal Rumble was the best.
  • Now that's a fine troll, but simply not true. As I said before, those N64 wrestlers were classics. I can't speak to THQ's modern wrestling games though. Never played one (and no real interest).
    Supposedly, THQ just used an existing well-regarded wrestling engine from Japan (Fire Pro Wrestling, I believe) and bolted on the WWE license to them. No idea if they're still doing that, though.
    Supposedly, THQ just used an existing well-regarded wrestling engine from Japan (Fire Pro Wrestling, I believe) and bolted on the WWE license to them. No idea if they're still doing that, though.
    not any longer, sadly. The last really good WWE game was Day of Reckoning 2 on the Gamecube.
  • HAHAHA Mr. Perfect! Look at that mug.

Ultimate Warrior is also good
  • WWE 13 is pretty good. The best part is always how shitty the physics and animations are + all the weird ass glitches.
    Actually, I don't think this is true. The two developers, Asmik Ace and AKI, started with WCW vs NWO World Tour, and I don't think they had done any wrestling games prior. All of those AKI wrestling games used a grapple system and felt much more like competitive fighting games than the arcade-style wrestlers of the past (although I will admit to loving those too). WCW vs NWO spawned at least 3 sequels, plus a few Japanese exclusive ones.

The wrestling licensing was bizarre in that era. Acclaim started the N64 era with the WWF license. Then Asmik/AKI ditched WCW and took over the WWF license. All at the same time, THQ was putting out shit wrestling games for the Playstation developed by someone else.

• Well, I looked it up and all of THQ's wrestling games have been developed by Yukes. They've been making wrestling games since 1996 and actually own a majority stake in New Japan Pro Wrestling. THQ's first Yukes developed game was WWF Smackdown in 2000.
  • I know there have to be some fans of the Asymmetrical Versus Mode games here.

Dungeonland is just such a game, coming out in a few days. Think Diablo, but three players are the heroes, and one player is playing the dungeon. So, the traps and monsters and stuff are placed by the dungeonmaster (he chooses a loadout at the beginning of the game, and spends mana in the dungeon to play his spells/monsters/traps/stuff). He can possess and directly control any monster, with access to all of its abilities, including the End Boss (which he also chooses). There's some kind of pacing mechanic in the Evil Meter, that increases as you do certain things as the DM, and unlocks progressively harder stuff for you to throw at the players.

There also seems to be a good spread of difficulties, from 'Moderately Difficult' to 'Dante Must Die Gaiden' (not the actual names).

There's also some kind of single player and coop modes, but who gives a fuck?
  • Well, I looked it up and all of THQ's wrestling games have been developed by Yukes. They've been making wrestling games since 1996 and actually own a majority stake in New Japan Pro Wrestling. THQ's first Yukes developed game was WWF Smackdown in 2000.
    Yeah we are talking about completely separate games. Remember a few posts ago when I mentioned somebody else was developing radically different wrestling games for Playstation, but still also published by THQ? Those are the Yukes games. The ones I'm talking about are the ones that AKI was involved in, and those started in 1997.

• I would contend that the first Red Faction game was pretty good. The way they did deformable terrain hadn't really been done before, and added a lot of tactical depth.

Dawn of War (the first one) was a staple at my group's LAN parties, and I'm still eagerly waiting for COH2 to come out. They're doing some cool things with weather effects, and it looks like it'll be really polished.

Metro 2033 had an interesting story, but the gameplay with too generic, and the game relied way too much on QTEs. The Saint's Row series was fantastic.
  • Red Faction Guerilla (Space Asshole) was good. Armageddon sucked.
  • edited January 2013
    Well, I looked it up and all of THQ's wrestling games have been developed by Yukes. They've been making wrestling games since 1996 and actually own a majority stake in New Japan Pro Wrestling. THQ's first Yukes developed game was WWF Smackdown in 2000.
    They no longer own New Japan, they sold it last year. Oddly, there hasn't been a New Japan(or any wrestling game) released in Japan for years now. Hopefully they'll get things going soon, New Japan has a fantastic roster to do a game with right now.

Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • I need ideas for a game for a 14 yr old.

Needs:

Long play time
    Uses the extra buttons on her gaming mouse.
    Not need better than an i7 or 1.5GB vram.
    Other than that I get "I don't care" when I ask her for what type of game.
  • Star Trek online is propably right out, but worth a shot. And it's free, so cheap to find out.

Dungeon defenders, maybe?
  • edited January 2013
    I am currently playing ni No Kuni on PS3 and I so want a real version of The Wizard's Companion. Shame on Namco Bandai for not allowing the USA version to come with one just like the Japanese version!

The only way to get one in English is if you pre-ordered the Wizard's edition of the game from Namco Bandai (which was and is a PR nightmare for Namco Bandai), or of you are willing to spend 300+ for that version on eBay :(
    The game is amazing by the way, and there is an electronic copy in the game itself.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Star Trek online is propably right out, but worth a shot. And it's free, so cheap to find out.

Dungeon defenders, maybe?
    She has dungeon defenders but no friends to play it with.

Solo play was just specified by her.
  • Long play time
    Skyrim and/or Fallout?
  • FTL is cheap and very replayable. Any of the Bethesda RPGs would also be good.
  • edited January 2013
    Long play time
    How long?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on

Needs:

Long play time
    Torchlight
    King's Bounty
    Terraria
  • Remember, dealing wit ha kid here. Getting answers is like pulling teeth!

She has Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc...
    She has Terraria but prefers Minecraft.
    Torchlight she also has.

Never heard of Kings Bounty.

Right now her big things are Minecraft and Homestuck. She also watches Supernatural.

Needs:

Long play time
    You can get her "The Walking Dead" from Telltalegames. I hear is quite good.
  • Already have the Walking Dead.

This is essentially an impossible question to answer because more than likely everything that will be mentioned has already been discussed on the forum and has thus also already been offered to her via me.
  • Does she like strategy games? Endless Space will happily eat your life in 14 hour chunks every time you sit down to play it.
  • Does she like strategy games? Endless Space will happily eat your life in 14 hour chunks every time you sit down to play it.
    No joke, aye.

Oooh - X3: Terran conflict.

• edited January 2013
    She's played through all the Mass Effects, then?

Edit:
    Mineraft Homestuck Supernatural.
    Get her a Tumblr.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited January 2013
    How about The Witcher 2 ?
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • How about The Witcher 2 ?
    added bonus: explaining sex cards to 14yo's mom.

ok, how about RTS's with good campaigns:

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (you can basically play it forever)
    StarCraft 2
    Dawn of War 2
    Company of Heroes
  • edited January 2013
    How about The Witcher 2 ?
    added bonus: explaining sex cards to 14yo's mom.
    Her parents could be cool with that.

I would say Borderlands but it is not as fun playing alone. Maybe she could give Legend of Grimrock a try.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Dwarf Fortress.