This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I think it just has a weird resurrection system where you can do it wrong and die forever.
  • And when you die, you die forever.
    I think this is pretty self explanatory. Death means death.

• edited January 2013
    It's actually not like that is the funny part. You can resurrect, but you can also die forever.

http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started#What_happens_when_you_die.3F
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited January 2013
    I am 100% done with MMOs. Everyone claims to do something different, but they're all essentially the same boring game. The only one I thought I might be interested in was The Old Republic because I thought having solid story would keep my attention. The story and Star Wars setting kept me going longer than it should have but in the end the monotony those games devolve into ended my interest.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I am 100% done with MMOs. Everyone claims to do something different, but they're all essentially the same boring game. The only one I thought I might be interested in was The Old Republic because I thought having solid story would keep my attention. The story and Star Wars setting kept me going longer than it should have but in the end the monotony those games devolve into ended my interest.
    I enjoyed Old Republic for a bit, because it was somewhat interesting in it's execution and story - it was the ludicrous level of nickel-and-diming that makes me unlikely to ever return.

I still play STO - but that's mostly because I enjoy the universe and the gameplay, and so far, I've not really encountered any grinding other than optional missions, which don't signifigantly speed your progress - I already managed to hit the level cap before I was even halfway done with the story missions, just with regular play, before I ever spent a dime. The only reasons I spent money on it? Because I wanted some of the optional stuff, because it was nice to have, though far from necessary. Unlike Old republic, a free player and a subscriber get the same 100% of the game. Everything a paid player can do, a free player can do. The benefits a subscriber gets? Honestly, not that impressive, and mostly cosmetic, and a monthly store stipend.

Just in case you think I'm bullshitting, here's the comparison
  • edited January 2013
    Old Republic was pretty cool besides that but I mean a lot of the game is still grinding. WoW is like that too even though they've severely reduced it. It's also that the combat is almost always the same use these two skills, kill enemy, get another skill, use it if you can if not use same two skills. Another huge issue I have is that almost all MMOs have absurdly large environments that take forever to get to. I would be fine with walking there once but if I have to back and forth it gets really boring.

I was kinda interested in STO but ill probably never end up playing it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Old Republic was pretty cool besides that but I mean a lot of the game is still grinding. WoW is like that too even though they've severely reduced it. It's also that the combat is almost always the same use these two skills, kill enemy, get another skill, use it if you can if not use same two skills. Another huge issue I have is that almost all MMOs have absurdly large environments that take forever to get to. I would be fine with walking there once but if I have to back and forth it gets really boring.

I was kinda interested in STO but ill probably never end up playing it.
    Vanity shot of my ship.

Yeah, STO is interesting. It's not like your traditional MMO in it's execution or gameplay. But I won't lie, it can take some time. Luckily, it does have both fast travel(though it costs in-game currency), speed boosts, and autopilot. If you do end up playing it, give me a shout. I think I have a low-level character hanging around.
  • Looks like the Tribes: Ascend guys are going to be releasing a ~$50 "pay once for everything important" pack. I guess someone paid attention to Scrym?

Aw, who am I kidding.
  • edited February 2013
    is everything important truly everything everything fully upgraded everything that isn't just cosmetic?

Also, too late.

Also, it's bullshit if not everyone has it. I want to have an option to play only in games where everyone has everything all at the same exact level.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I already paid $60 for not everything :-/
  • I already paid $60 for not everything :-/
    Scott is right again. Y U NO always listen to me?
  • Because Tribes Ascend is so sick, there's jetpacks, skiing, and disc launchers dude. Can't resist that shit.
  • Because Tribes Ascend is so sick, there's jetpacks, skiing, and disc launchers dude. Can't resist that shit.
    That's a problem.
  • *injects Raider Plasma Gun ammo directly into veins* I can stop any time I want..
  • *injects Raider Plasma Gun ammo directly into veins* I can stop any time I want..
    I said the same thing about my brake fluid addiction.

You just couldn't stop?

You just couldn't stop?

• I am finding the "controversy" around Aliens: Colonial Marines kinda fascinating. It probably helps that I worked on the game so it's interesting to see what information comes out. I also find it funny that there's this much of a shit storm over what should be a minor blip for most people.
  • U worried about violating your NDA?

Also I think the fuss is due in parse part to the franchise it's attaching its self to. Otherwise it would be the complete nothing it should be.
  • What do you mean by "minor blip"?
  • System Shock 2 is finally coming to GOG! Super excited about this!
    It seems like this is nothing we haven't seen before. From what I've gathered the game it's not that spectacularly bad, it's just never more than mediocre. I get WHY people care. The game was well hyped and it's part of a major multimedia franchise, but bad games happen constantly. It seems like in places people are out looking for blood, especially with the who made it speculation. So the reaction seems to be vastly out of proportion to the problem at hand.
    U worried about violating your NDA?
    A bit. What I will say is that I worked for TimeGate on the game about a year ago. So my perspective is from that end of the deal.

• A small blip?

It seems like this is nothing we haven't seen before. From what I've gathered the game it's not that spectacularly bad, it's just never more than mediocre. I get WHY people care. The game was well hyped and it's part of a major multimedia franchise, but bad games happen constantly. It seems like in places people are out looking for blood, especially with the who made it speculation. So the reaction seems to be vastly out of proportion to the problem at hand.
    It's true there are bad games all the time, but I think in this case it's a culmination of: all the indications being that it was going to be a good game and then it not being that, the expectations people now have for games under the Gearbox name, and also this being a period where there isn't really anything to talk about game wise. Also it's a series you don't have to be a gamer to know about, and so a "normal" person who has seen the movies can look at something like that vine from Gabe and clearly see that's not how xenomorphs behave.
  • edited February 2013
    I've been enjoying Colonial Marines. It's not all that good, but it's certainly not the 2/10 mess that most folks are making it out to be.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • It's true there are bad games all the time, but I think in this case it's a culmination of: all the indications being that it was going to be a good game and then it not being that, the expectations people now have for games under the Gearbox name, and also this being a period where there isn't really anything to talk about game wise. Also it's a series you don't have to be a gamer to know about, and so a "normal" person who has seen the movies can look at something like that vine from Gabe and clearly see that's not how xenomorphs behave.
    Indeed.

I think for me the bit that bothers me/I think is stupid is the standard bad game rage. I'd bet I'm just paying attention to this one more so I'm hearing more of it. Even the normal bits that filter through of people rant about how bad X or Y game is I find kinda stupid.

• There's equally people that will angrily defend not that great of a game as being simply the best thing ever.
  • edited February 2013
    Steam is officially released for Ubuntu. And there is a sale to accompany it!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Now the question is, what games are Linux-compatible?
  • edited February 2013
    Here are what games in my library are currently compatible.
    Post edited by Andrew on