This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• "On Tuesday, widespread reports all but confirmed the impending closure of 11-year-old gaming site Joystiq."

Joystiq's response: "I'm sorry, What?"
  • I am really not surprised at this. The gold rush days of the Internet are over. Online media is suffering the same fate as print media, only at a different pace.
  • Sony sells its game division.

Yep, SOE has been renamed and is going multiplat.
  • The SOE news is good news. Now I can check out SOE games without violating my SONY boycott.
  • edited March 2015
    Unity 5 is out today too and it looks like they've changed it some so that you actually have all the engine features in the free version. It used to be that you were missing small things here and there but I believe you have it all now. Things like performance tools, custom splash screens, code collaboration, source code access, etc is still needing to be paid for.

Unlike Unreal though you still need to pay for all the other platform plugins.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I find it hard to believe that we live in an age where the top game engines are free. The market's gonna explode.
  • I think maybe Unity being free was such a draw card that the others had to fall in line, I'd be interested in seeing what Valve will do with Source 2 or whether they are finished with making singleplayer games and will concentrate on making money from CS GO and Dota 2.
  • Even if they make Source free, or more free than it used to be, the problem is tools. I haven't used their tools for some years, but they were always garbage. Making a game on the original Source engine was a painful experience.
  • They're usually barebones because they weren't designed for a broader audience. If you make an in house engine you can just teach new people how to use it specifically. Unreal is pretty decent to use, but works differently than Unity. Unity is probably the easiest to access out of the two definitely. Partially because it has C# and JS wrappers over its objects so you don't need to use C++.
  • I have nothing but shrugs. They haven't really release anything worth playing after 2004. And 90% of what they made before then was pretty bad.
  • And when you thought rhythm games were dead (and they are)...

Rock Band is coming back.
  • The claim I have heard is that Source 2's tools are going to be much better, in part because Valve now has all the old-school DoTA players clamoring about how easy Warcraft III was to mod. Given Valve's recent history of leaning on user-generated content, it seems perfectly plausible that this is something they would be on board with.

Of course, they haven't actually released anything yet, it's all talk until they do, and making nice tools is hard especially on the first go. I suspect they only said something this week to piggyback a bit of publicity on Unity's announcement, and possibly to make Unity/Epic sweat a bit.
  • edited June 2015
    XBox 360 emulator is coming soon. There's a lot of progress.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3ayifk/how_is_xenia_so_fast/cshetq9

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Daikun said:
    That's brilliant. However I have a slight annoyance when I see articles that just link to a Youtube video.

What was wrong with just sharing the Youtube link video directly?
  • What's the latest generation of consoles that has playable emulators?
  • I think the Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GC. I'm not sure about Xbox's status, but I think the PS2 had a decent one, and the Dreamcast one was pretty good. The Gamecube one is also good.
  • MATATAT said:

I think the Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GC. I'm not sure about Xbox's status, but I think the PS2 had a decent one, and the Dreamcast one was pretty good. The Gamecube one is also good.

Wow, I didn't even consider Dreamcast in the same class as the other 3. And wiki says they're all the same generation.
  • edited June 2015
    Most of the reason I know that is I was pretty close to buying a Dreamcast then decided to just wait for the PS2.

Then several years later I bought a Dreamcast, two controllers, a memory thing, and a binder full of games for like $30 from a guy I knew.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • VMU's are the best!
  • Planetside 2 is now available on PS4 so all the dirty console peasants can play for free also.
    I'm NC on Genudine and VS on Crex.
    PSN is GTMacRoss.
  • So apparently people (mostly with AMD cards) are having troubles with new Batman game I guess on PC. People are losing their shit. But what I'm curious of is whether the people complaining are people that have been gaming on PCs for their entire life and just got used to PC ports working, Console gamers who recently switched to PC and are just experiencing this phenomenon for the first time. Or gamers that have been PC gamers for most of their lives but are just too young to remember a time when PC ports always barely used to work.

Now I think that if you buy a game you should expect it to work. But that has always sort of been the thing about PC games. You have more variety, don't need to buy a console, you can use a PC for other tasts, etc. But you sorta had to be prepared to do some manual work to get games to run sometimes. There apparently is a way to get Batman to run just fine. It just requires some console and config work.
  • Reports are that the game is garbage-tier buggy and nonperforming on PC.

Only low tier games require any console/config work to play anymore.
  • Or you should just be like most PC gamers and wait 6 months to play the game once it's discounted :-p (or a year or so for the Game of the Year, I realize I never have any trouble with games because by the time I get to them they've been patched like 20 times :-p
  • Cremlian said:

Or you should just be like most PC gamers and wait 6 months to play the game once it's discounted :-p (or a year or so for the Game of the Year, I realize I never have any trouble with games because by the time I get to them they've been patched like 20 times :-p

Yet another benefit of patience!
  • Rym said:

Reports are that the game is garbage-tier buggy and nonperforming on PC.

Only low tier games require any console/config work to play anymore.

There is a thread on steam that outlines some changes to get it working just fine that Dan Rykert linked to verifying that it works for him.
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

Or you should just be like most PC gamers and wait 6 months to play the game once it's discounted :-p (or a year or so for the Game of the Year, I realize I never have any trouble with games because by the time I get to them they've been patched like 20 times :-p

Yet another benefit of patience!