This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• About $50 dollars.
  • X-Plane 10 is coming to Steam.

This is kinda of interesting if only because historically the X-Plane devs have argued that digital distribution of their product would be problematic as the product itself ships on 10 dual layer (9.4 GB) DVDs, so it's almost 100 GB of content. Of course, given how it's a small indy shop, they probably couldn't afford the bandwidth to deal with that many huge downloads whereas Valve can probably eat that just fine on its Steam servers.

It also makes it interesting in light of X-Plane's existing DRM scheme. XP's DRM is about as close to "just keep the honest folks honest without really screwing anyone over" as DRM can get -- all it does is check if any of the installation DVDs are inserted at startup time. That's all, and it's trivial to get around if you know what you're doing. The DVDs themselves are bog-standard DVDs, so it's not like they use a funky, difficult to copy format like PlayStations. It's basically only good to block pirates who just zip up the installation directory and stick that on a torrent somewhere. Presumably they'll now use whatever DRM is offered by Steam itself, which may or may not be a good thing.

Finally, it probably also illustrates yet again how physical media as a primary distribution format (as opposed to a backup/archival format) is dying. Too many systems ship without optical drives these days and they figured asking their customers to purchase an optical drive in addition to their product may be too much to ask out of all but the hardest core simmers (who probably won't care as they already spend hundreds or thousands of bucks on replica flight controls anyway).
  • I might actually get Xplane on Steam, there was no way I was gonna bother with the DVDs actually. But, 1/10 of a TB is a lot of data to DL for sure.

I imagine that's the equivalent of DLing all current seasons of GoT at 1080p
  • SWATrous said:

I might actually get Xplane on Steam, there was no way I was gonna bother with the DVDs actually. But, 1/10 of a TB is a lot of data to DL for sure.

Well, you don't need to download all the data at once. Most of that data is for the global scenery and it's not required to have all the scenery installed. For example, if you're only planning on flying around the continental US, then you just download that bit of scenery and never bother downloading scenery for Europe, Asia, etc. If you happen to go to a region without scenery installed, the airports will still be there (their locations and runway layouts are basically described in a handful of fairly small text files), but instead of scenery it'll look like a big empty ocean with airport runways on islands. Later on, if you feel like wanting to fly around other parts of the world, you can add that bit of scenery to your installation without having to reinstall what you've already downloaded.
  • Okay, X-Plane is now officially on Steam and it's pretty much as I predicted. You don't need to download all 100 GB or so at once.

When you first install/download X-Plane, you only get scenery for the Seattle area (which is also the only scenery you get if you download the demo version). Additional regions, referenced by continent (i.e. North America region, Europe region, Asia region, etc.) are available as free DLC via Steam for you to add to your installation if/when you wish.
  • Xenonauts is a much better, and truer, successor to X-Com than the Firaxis X-Com.
  • Circle, Circle, Circle, Circle, Circle, Circle, R1, L2, L1, Triangle, Circle, Triangle
  • Daikun said:

PlayStation Network hacked. Again.

We've come full circle.

Bah, it's a DDoS attack, not a real hack. Nothing was stolen or anything like that. It was just a mess of script kiddies firing up their "Low Orbit Ion Cannons" or whatever to flood the servers.

There really is no defense against a DDoS attack, at least in the early moments, no matter how secure your systems are. There are mitigation strategies available, but sometimes those can't be used until after the attack has already started.

Also, many of the problems behind DDoS attacks aren't the fault of the targets, but if idiots and douchebags who don't patch/properly configure their NTP and DNS servers to block amplification attacks.
  • Daikun said:

PlayStation Network hacked. Again.

We've come full circle.

More annoying? When Hulu stops working because your PSN account is logged out. Why does the Hulu app care if I am logged in to PSN???

• edited August 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

More annoying? When Hulu stops working because your PSN account is logged out. Why does the Hulu app care if I am logged in to PSN???

Do you have a laptop? Hook it to your TV with an HDMI cable, then browse all the Hulu you want with it.
    Chromecast works, too.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Daikun said:

HMTKSteve said:

Do you have a laptop? Hook it to your TV with an HDMI cable, then browse all the Hulu you want with it.
    Chromecast works, too.
    I have all those things as well as a Wii-U hooked up to the same TV. I can easily get around the problem I just do not understand why the problem exists. It reminds me of the way Netflix used to be locked behind the xBox Gold wall even though it is a paid service. If I am paying for a service on its own there should be no secondary account sign in requirement on the device that I am using to access it on.

• GOG is having a sale for games that will no longer be available in the library.

gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814

Get them while you can.
  • Nintendo's Japanese website still has their Super Mario 64 page from 1996.
  • Rex Rocket looks to be directly in Scott's wheelhouse, and the wheelhouse of other people who would like a super hard Mega Man style game!
  • edited November 2014
    Alright Ubisoft, I think we're done here. The only game I've sorta been interested in playing that Ubisoft is still producing anymore is Far Cry 4. I've lost interest in the AC series and the last Splinter Cell I thought was kinda boring.

EDIT: Actually I do want to play Valiant Hearts. But not really dying to play it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • As @the_ironsheik would say:

FUCK THE RAISIN BALLS JABRONI UBISOFT! I PUT THEM IN CAMEL CLUTCH, MAKE THEM HUMBLE.
  • MATATAT said:

Alright Ubisoft, I think we're done here. The only game I've sorta been interested in playing that Ubisoft is still producing anymore is Far Cry 4. I've lost interest in the AC series and the last Splinter Cell I thought was kinda boring.

EDIT: Actually I do want to play Valiant Hearts. But not really dying to play it.

No just don't buy anything till they work out their distribution manner is retarded. Treat publishing companies like a 4 week old cocker spaniel puppy till they learn you don't like their shenanigans.
  • Star Citizen + Oculus Rift = Shut up and take my money
  • MATATAT said:

I was actually halfway planning on picking up AC:U on the PC via Steam before this, and even if they change their minds and put it back to being available I'm going to stay away from it. I'm done with handing Ubisoft full price for any of their games ever again. As it stands, my game experience on the AC series on PC is fragmented enough as it is. Because of the general uPlay BS of not letting any key activate on Steam and not properly registering my purchases from other vendors in uPlay, if I want to play AC: Revelations or AC3 I have to launch those through Steam. If I want to play AC2, Brotherhood or AC4, I have to launch those through uPlay (because they came as freebies or via dirt-cheap sales through Amazon or somewhere else). No skin off my nose if I don't buy it on release day. That's $60 I can sink into something else for now.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Star Citizen + Oculus Rift = Shut up and take my money

It's quite interesting how they've tried to construct every animation including flight and FPS. The FPS is interesting as the gun isn't hanging outside of your head and your arms aren't growing out of your head like most other FPS.

Still I would have to see what the latest build is like, line was too long at PAX.
  • MATATAT said:

UPDATED: Ubisoft has apparently reversed its policy, at least in the US. The company hasn't issued a formal statement, but the games in question are now back on Steam.
  • MATATAT said:

MATATAT said:

UPDATED: Ubisoft has apparently reversed its policy, at least in the US. The company hasn't issued a formal statement, but the games in question are now back on Steam.
    As long as you know that their Uplay launcher program is more likely to crash your system than the games themselves.
  • That Phoenix Wright collection is available now I think. Did anyone ever play the Phoenix Wright/Layton crossover? I forgot that game exists.
  • I picked it up just recently and hope to try it soon.
  • edited January 2015
    The people who made State of Decay are effectively making a Pokemon MMO

PS it looks like butts. One guy asked if it will be pay to win in the comments and I replied "Theres literally a button that has a shopping cart on it".
    Post edited by MATATAT on