This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• If a company is putting out buggy software to the point where it cannot be run on any machine it's kind of bullshit especially if you halt sales because you can't fix the bugs due to how overwhelming they are.

There is no excuse when you compare it to the port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and other games which have run well.

The developers they used for the last game for the port were swapped for people who don't have any PC ports in their resume.

Also the Batman games are just trash, the first one or two were good to okay but then dropped off heavily.
  • There is no excuse for having to mess with PC games to make them work in the year 2015.
  • I mean, ideally, I agree with you. If you are paying money for something it should work. But PC players pride themselves on having like a "no holds barred" experience. Whereas console versions are like the "walled garden" of games. Way less control over graphics, and things can be optimized specifically to the hardware, easily. Granted PC hardware is a lot more standardized than it was even a few years ago. But it's still variable. Then you need to divert resources to testing hardware configurations and settings on those configurations as well as making sure the game works.

It seems easier to go one way than it is to go the other way. Which is why the Witcher worked fine on PC and then was kinda jenk on console. Not as jenk as Batman on PC, but CD Projekt Red was focusing on PC, developing for PC, and then adapting the console "port".
  • MATATAT said:

It seems easier to go one way than it is to go the other way. Which is why the Witcher worked fine on PC and then was kinda jenk on console. Not as jenk as Batman on PC, but CD Projekt Red was focusing on PC, developing for PC, and then adapting the console "port".

I don't know how game development works at a professional level but my assumption was that it would be easier to go from PC (broad range of hardware to handle) to console (just a variant of a PC).
    I guess having to work with the environmental differences.

I wonder if Microsoft's "works on everything" will affect games released on Windows 10 and XBone.

On another note still playing Ori and the Blind Forest, this game is crazy good. It's like what all the Sonic games should have been when Sega tried to make a small comeback.
    The game art and UI is great, any frame of this game can be used as a desktop wallpaper, I've been taking screen shots of this thing all over the place.

Favourite substage yet (graphics used on this person's computer look a bit lower, I wasn't running nVidia ShadowPlay otherwise I would have uploaded my run -
  • Cautiously optimistic about a fighting game which removes the execution difficulty for special moves - Rising Thunder.
  • edited August 2015
    I've been poking around in Elite: Dangerous, and I thought I'd found out some cool shit, but this 100% takes the cake. Some mad bastards plotted out Voyager 2's trajectory, and some other mad bastards went "well, we'll take a look."

Fucking found it, didn't they.

Visually accurate, and broadcasting radio signal of the famous message on the probe.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That is amazing. +1 for this game.
  • edited August 2015
    Rym said:

That is amazing. +1 for this game.

It does take a bit of teasing out at first, but the deeper I dig, the better it gets. I mean, just the map itself - I was about 6-7 hours in before I recognized a familiar star name, and thought it was a bit interesting, so I looked it up, intending to find out if they'd put it in just as a recognizable star in their fictional universe - but it turns out the in-game universe is apparently a 1:1 accurate map of the milky way galaxy, according to the current science. They even have a pipeline specifically for revising and updating the galaxy data in accordance with new discoveries, and where possible, they keep the planetary systems accurate to observation, including orbital mechanics.

There's some procedural generation involved - obviously, considering some of the better guesses for how many stars our in our galaxy range from 400 billion to a trillion - but apparently, everything we know is there, is there, where it should be, and when it should be. Time also moves at 1:1 with UTC(albeit a millennium and change in the future), just to put a little extra Universe in Coordinated Universal Time.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • E:D is one of those games that's amazing on the Rift.
  • Yeah man, people fly to Sag A*, Eta Carinae, all kinds of stuff.
  • Andrew said:

E:D is one of those games that's amazing on the Rift.

That's what I've heard. In fact, ED and Star Citizen are pretty much the two games I'd be buying a Rift for. Not to say others wouldn't be cool too, but those are the two that pushed it over the edge from "be nice to have" to "Buying."

• Also, Rocket Leauge finals just went down, and here's the final game between Cosmic Aftershock and Kings of Urban. Fucking nuts.

• edited August 2015
    I need to get a more consistent group or something. Almost every game that is lost where I'm at in the standings is just because like the other two players are fucking up so much. I'll center the shot and they're off crashing in the corner or something. I would at least like an attempt at goal. Also people are not very good at centering either when I'm playing the opposite side of the field waiting for a cross.

But I've mostly been playing with randos. I managed to have luck with players and got almost to 500 in the ranking and that was when you start finding people that are really working together.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • If VideoBall doesn't happen, I might take up Rocket League instead. We can make a for real team of either one. Even if we suck, we can make up for that with style.
  • Apreche said:

If VideoBall doesn't happen, I might take up Rocket League instead. We can make a for real team of either one. Even if we suck, we can make up for that with style.

I'm all for this.

We need our team name still. And hockey style jerseys. We can specialize in rocket league and videoball.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

If VideoBall doesn't happen, I might take up Rocket League instead. We can make a for real team of either one. Even if we suck, we can make up for that with style.

I'm all for this.

We need our team name still. And hockey style jerseys. We can specialize in rocket league and videoball.

Good idea. Why not both?
  • SHIT TALK ALERT! SHIT TALK ALERT!
  • Needless to say, I'm 100% up for it.
  • Andrew said:

SHIT TALK ALERT! SHIT TALK ALERT!

Done. The team is formed. We are a real team. The name is temporarily "Crab People." We reserve the right to change it at any time.

Shit talk averted. We are an eSports team.
  • Rym said:

Andrew said:

SHIT TALK ALERT! SHIT TALK ALERT!

Done. The team is formed. We are a real team. The name is temporarily "Crab People." We reserve the right to change it at any time.

Shit talk averted. We are an eSports team.
    The team name should actually be crab people. Cutest crab logo. Let's just hope nobody things we are representing some place with an abundance of crab fisheries.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Pokken is already splashing with the fighting game community and a tournament is in progress.

I'm so damn excited for this. I was afraid that it might be another ultra basic Naruto-esque arena fighter, but the Pro FGC representatives who played this game have really unveiled some added depth to this game. Can't wait!
  • I played it at the Pokemon Center the other day, it's pretty legit. I just wish there were more playable characters.
  • I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they add more characters for the actual Wii U release. I look forward to future character announcements, Smash Bros style.
  • Semidisappointing, but wholely unsurprising.