This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• pence said:

Undertale. I don't think I've liked characters so much since Chrono Trigger, so... that's pretty good.

Agreed 100%, Undertale is fantastic. I get a very strong Earthbound vibe from it, which is great because that's one of my favorite games of all time and there have been very few games that give me such a vibe.

Also, no spoilers... but that final fight during the first play through? Holy crap!

• Yeah. I immediately thought "Madoka" at that point.
  • The guy who made it apparently does music or something for Homestuck and I get the impression some of his writing is inspired as such.
  • The music in Undertale is kind of amazing... dude knocked it out of the park there.
  • Each song is just a different interpretation of the same score. That kind of musical motif is my jam.
  • The melody from Undertale (the song) makes it into most of the important climactic moments. You only hear that melody once before the end of the game, when it retroactively crushes you with the gravity of where you first heard it.

It may seem a bit redundant to say, given that it's a jrpg, but Undertale is anime as fuck regarding its terrible secret of space.
  • Die as a PC. Come back as an NPC until you kill another PC.
  • Just finished playing one of the Neutral Routes and the True Pacifist Route of Undertale, then went to the Internet to see stuff about other routes, including the Genocide Route. In doing that search, I discovered that the rabbit hole of that game goes much, MUCH deeper than you'd suspect. There are more secrets and discrete text/event triggers than I ever would have guessed, and I thought I'd found a lot of stuff already. Some things are buried so deep in the game that you'll never discover them short of digging through the game files, including actual for-real background lore, because the devs totally knew that some people would go snooping in there.

Also, speaking of the Genocide Route: one of my favourite music tracks in the game has to be the boss fight theme from the end of that route. Upon further investigation, apparently it's a remix of a track Toby Fox originally wrote for an Earthbound hack, then later re-used in Homestuck. Third time's a charm I guess! The Undertale version definitely sounds the coolest and most polished of the three.
  • Megalovania is good, but it's not Hopes and Dreams good. The Megalovania boss, though - that's the most fun I had learning patterns and dodging them in the game. You just have to be a complete asshole to see it.

Honestly, every boss after the first is, at a minimum, great. CHAOS SABER!
  • Speaking of which I find it amusing that so many people are posting threads in media sites about being worried Fallout 4 is gonna suck. Basically every Bethesda game, at least from Morrowind forward, has been wildly successful. Maybe it might not be for everyone but chances of it "sucking" are incredibly slim.
  • Daikun said:
    UK is also getting Fallout Beer. I want the in-game recipe for that.
  • MATATAT said:

Speaking of which I find it amusing that so many people are posting threads in media sites about being worried Fallout 4 is gonna suck. Basically every Bethesda game, at least from Morrowind forward, has been wildly successful. Maybe it might not be for everyone but chances of it "sucking" are incredibly slim.

Bethesda does exactly what me, and many other people, keep asking for, but never get from most game developers. Stop trying to make new games. We like this game, just make more more more of it.

Nintendo made Super Metroid. Why not make MORE Super Metroid? Not that Metroid: Prime is bad, but I'd rather have just more Super Metroid. No different engine needed. Just make more of the same great game. Make it exactly like the old SNES game, just with a humongous map. Bigger than Symphony of the Night, just go for it.

Ocarina of Time is great. But just make another Zelda game with the exact same engine as LttP, just make a whole new map, all new dungeons, etc. Don't slightly modify the old map, make a completely new one. That's what we really want.

Bethesda delivers. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4 are all effectively the same exact game. They just update the graphics, make new quests, new characters, new dialogue, new theme, and all those bits. The gameplay itself changes very little, and doesn't need to. There's already this thing you like, and they just keep making more of it. Good on them!
  • edited November 2015
    Apreche said:

Bethesda does exactly what me, and many other people, keep asking for, but never get from most game developers. Stop trying to make new games. We like this game, just make more more more of it.

Scott, that's just you. Most people want new things, some people are happy when things look new and some people want some game play innovation, but still most people want some sense of progress from game x to game x+1.

Also your last paragraph is total bullshit and while Bethesda games have certain surface elements repeating they change things around quite a lot between every game.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Scott, that's just you. Most people want new things, some people are happy when things look new and some people want some game play innovation, but still most people want some sense of progress from game x to game x+1.

Also your last paragraph is total bullshit and while Bethesda games have certain surface elements repeating they change things around quite a lot between every game.

The things they add are small but meaningful. There are changes between Oblivion and Skyrim, it it's not a significantly different game mechanically. You still talk to people, collect shit, and fight baddies. You can now just shout at dragons and shoot magic from two hands.
  • Apsup said:

Apreche said:

I played all those games. The gameplay changes between them are superficial. In Fallout 3 you can pause to shoot specific body parts and such. In Skyrim you can shout at things. The fundamental game is still effectively identical the same way that Candy Land and Uncle Wiggly are effectively identical.
  • Apreche said:

Bethesda delivers. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4 are all effectively the same exact game. They just update the graphics, make new quests, new characters, new dialogue, new theme, and all those bits. The gameplay itself changes very little, and doesn't need to. There's already this thing you like, and they just keep making more of it. Good on them!

I'd put Bioware in this camp as well.

• Morrowind -> Oblivion/Skyrim has some pretty significant changes.
  • edited November 2015
    Andrew said:

Morrowind -> Oblivion/Skyrim has some pretty significant changes.

That was definitely the biggest of the jumps, but it's not THAT big. Morrowind and Oblivion even used the same Gamebryo engine. Albeit Oblivion used a much newer and more updated version.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Morrowind used an RNG based combat and magic system whereas Oblivion used a more modern collision based combat system similar to an FPS. That's pretty significant.
  • edited November 2015
    Andrew said:

Morrowind used an RNG based combat and magic system whereas Oblivion used a more modern collision based combat system similar to an FPS. That's pretty significant.

That is a pretty significant difference. I didn't realize that. It's been a long time. I just remember walking around and hitting fantasy creatures in the face with a sword. But Fallout 3 sort of combined the RNG based and the FPS based mechanics into one. Even if you have a lot of mouse skills, they're all RPGs, so you're still doing damage according you your loot and level and whatnot.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah I forgot about that, Fallout 3 had RNG bullshit too and people enjoy that. So I guess even if they made the significant change of making combat less reliant on RNG it's already been proven to be more popular. In fact Obsidian already made that change.
  • MATATAT said:

Yeah I forgot about that, Fallout 3 had RNG bullshit too and people enjoy that. So I guess even if they made the significant change of making combat less reliant on RNG it's already been proven to be more popular. In fact Obsidian already made that change.

I was so worried that I would be the first one to type Obsidian instead of Oblivion in this thread.
  • Outside of simple battle mechanical thing, the way the games handle their story, characters and world differs quite a bit. Morrowind is one of my favorite examples of how to do open world story pacing well, while Skyrim is a perfect example of how to not give a fuck about it.
  • Apsup said:

Outside of simple battle mechanical thing, the way the games handle their story, characters and world differs quite a bit. Morrowind is one of my favorite examples of how to do open world story pacing well, while Skyrim is a perfect example of how to not give a fuck about it.

That's the part that's different. The not-game parts.
  • Apreche said:

Apsup said:

Outside of simple battle mechanical thing, the way the games handle their story, characters and world differs quite a bit. Morrowind is one of my favorite examples of how to do open world story pacing well, while Skyrim is a perfect example of how to not give a fuck about it.

That's the part that's different. The not-game parts.
    Just fuck you. I'm not getting roped into this Scott Rubin madness train once again. I quit.

• Most of the game changes have been AI modifications. They really tried to get the Radiant AI system working in Oblivion, but I think it usually ended in the hunters killing all of the wildlife within a couple hours, or main quest NPCs killing each other.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Yeah I forgot about that, Fallout 3 had RNG bullshit too and people enjoy that. So I guess even if they made the significant change of making combat less reliant on RNG it's already been proven to be more popular. In fact Obsidian already made that change.

I was so worried that I would be the first one to type Obsidian instead of Oblivion in this thread.
    I meant Obsidian though. I was referring to New Vegas.
  • MATATAT said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I meant Obsidian though. I was referring to New Vegas.
    What a world.
  • As long as I can craft a gun that shoots out dildos in the next Fallout. I won't care if it's all just more of the same.