This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Just maek new TIE Fighter pls. It's Star Wars, not ground wars.

• Andrew said:

I bought the new Battlefront. It's not a fantastic shooter, but holy fuck is it fun. It's everything you could possibly want from a Star Wars game, it feels like you step into the movies. Best part? No single-player campaign bullshit! It's just you, a bunch of your friends, and all the blasters/speeders/AT-ATs you could want!

It's funny how different people's tastes can vary. I have absolutely no interest in a multiplayer-only game, even if it is Star Wars. If it had a single-player campaign, I'd probably be interested, but without one, no sale.
    The Verge had a writeup today about how it does have a single player campaign, but it is extremely bland. Basically just tutorials, multiplayer matches with bots instead of humans, or some "horde mode" levels. This sounds awful, but they made a strong case for it being great couch co-op, given that split-screen play basically doesn't exist in console FPS games anymore. If you have a specific longing for that, well then this is your jam.

• Andrew said:

I bought the new Battlefront. It's not a fantastic shooter, but holy fuck is it fun. It's everything you could possibly want from a Star Wars game, it feels like you step into the movies. Best part? No single-player campaign bullshit! It's just you, a bunch of your friends, and all the blasters/speeders/AT-ATs you could want!

It's funny how different people's tastes can vary. I have absolutely no interest in a multiplayer-only game, even if it is Star Wars. If it had a single-player campaign, I'd probably be interested, but without one, no sale.
    I'll be honest. I play maybe one single-player game a year. Maybe, if it's top notch. They just cannot hold my attention and I find the vast majority of them dreadfully dull. Yet, if I get a handful of my friend together, we can have vastly more fun fucking around in even a very poorly made game.
  • Andrew said:

Andrew said:

I'll be honest. I play maybe one single-player game a year. Maybe, if it's top notch. They just cannot hold my attention and I find the vast majority of them dreadfully dull. Yet, if I get a handful of my friend together, we can have vastly more fun fucking around in even a very poorly made game.
    I'm pretty much exactly the opposite. I find multiplayer-only games to be incredibly dull, especially first person shooters. Give me something with a strong narrative, give me something with context. Just running around shooting people over and over again seems just as bad as watching paint dry.

That being said, I was a big fan of the Left 4 Dead games, maybe because those games were selectively multiplayer and each "level" was a distinct mission that was part of an overarching narrative. Now that I think about it, a Star Wars "Left 4 Dead" type of game where you and your friends are Rebel/Imperial operatives on a mission sounds pretty awesome actually. Just running around shooting people, capture the flag, etc, is incredibly boring.
  • Just running around shooting people, capture the flag, etc, is incredibly boring.

Star Wars: Bro Shooter
  • It appears a LAN party is comming to Seattle. Posting for the west coast crew.
  • sK0pe said:

Just running around shooting people, capture the flag, etc, is incredibly boring.

Star Wars: Bro Shooter
    Exactly. What separates this game from all the other shooter games online other than setting?

I would love for EA to use this engine and make a new Jedi Knight game or something similar.
  • In regards to Fallout 4, PC Gamer scored the game 9.5.
    The reviewer on the podcast.
    It was ok for a Bethesda game, which means it was shit.
    It be became an obligation more than having fun.
    I'm going to wait for mods before playing this again.
  • It's a good time to have cards and stuff on the steam market, my stuff is selling like crazy (I have around 100 dollars in cards on the market due to mining them) But the discount on the community market has made everything start moving!
  • sK0pe said:

In regards to Fallout 4, PC Gamer scored the game 9.5.
    The reviewer on the podcast.

It was ok for a Bethesda game, which means it was shit.
    It be became an obligation more than having fun.
    I'm going to wait for mods before playing this again.
    Their site says it got an 8.8. I'm not very far into the game but it seems pretty good. It's a lot of the same but they've changed a few things like guns/armor being more customizable, weird settlement mechanic that you could take or leave, and an updated skill system which I was a little skeptical about at first but it makes more sense when you think about it.

Some of his concerns are somewhat valid, and one of the biggest disservices the game does itself is sort of dumping you into a beginning area that doesn't have much going on. They discussed this on the Bombcast as well where Brad was having a similar experience. Jeff had reviewed it and said like a lot of that goes away when you get to the main town. I haven't really gotten there but even so I'm finding a decent amount of stuff to do right away.

That was one of my biggest issues with New Vegas. There isn't really any reason for just going around and checking things out. Fallout 3 had a lot of that. But even in the "early hours" of Fallout 4 I'm finding random tunnels here and there that are worth checking out, and things like some random guy wanting you to go into this quarry for him (but he also has a note you can find saying some weird noises are coming from there) or something that looks like a deal gone wrong in the trainyard which makes me wonder if you can explore that more.

Part of this may be my affection for the setting though as well. I played a decent amount of Morrowind but even having several hours in Obilivion and Skyrim I just don't really care about "fantasy" settings that much. I usually don't have any interest in going around to find the things like that in those games.
  • I must have mixed it up with Polygon or IGN.
  • Picked up the new Xenoblade Chronicles X for the WiiU over the weekend. Having never played the original Xenoblade on the Wii, the learning curve is a bit steep, but I'm really enjoying this game so far. The world is just gorgeous and IMMENSE! Playing this game, I really wish that more roleplaying games, other than Mass Effect, take place in a science fiction setting.
  • I'm getting Xeno for xmas. Let me know if you want to 'party up' and share the missions, or however it works. InvaderREN on WIi U.
  • According to report the NX is most likely not going to be backward comparable, so it appears the Wii u sales will be prime to jump on.
  • Coldguy said:

According to report the NX is most likely not going to be backward comparable, so it appears the Wii u sales will be prime to jump on.

Price will only go down from here.
  • History would be on the side of backwards compatabilty. Even if just the eshop and digital versions of Wii U games, should the NX run off cards, not Disc.

Gamepad being sold seperately would also hint at Wii U being an optional accessory for NX.
  • Rumour is NX is cloud based gaming. So virtually all games compatible, but you know... streamed.
  • If the NX isn't backwards compatible it needs something specific to get me. Either new Smash Bros. or something of that caliber, otherwise I'm not being tricked again. I like my Wii U, but it's a first-party machine. Not for lack of decent third-party titles, but just not even remotely enough.
  • edited December 2015
    So.... Rainbow Six siege anyone? I'm super ready for it but I don't know which platform. I have one or two people who seem likely to get it but only on Xbone; and maybe, maybe one person I know on PC is interested, maybe. I'm not looking forward to another xbone title I'll never go play, but I dont think I'd play it on PC without one or two regular companions either.

When we get all consoles and platforms talking to each other, I can be happy to buy what I want and the players can revel in their various exclusive perks depending upon who's shrine they light their gaming myrrh.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I'd be shocked if NX wasn't backwards compatible with both Wii U and 3DS.

On one hand, Nintendo has made it clear they are targeting "blue ocean"/wide audience, not just the gamer core. On the other hand, they clearly have a very strong desire to streamline their operations and focus on a single video game offering.

Expect the launch to look exactly like the original DS. NX will be presented as a "third pillar," that is absolutely not replacing Wii U or 3DS, but just happens to be compatible with them. If it takes off, the other two get early deaths.
  • It will probably be hella overpriced, but Final Fantasy VI will be on Steam next week.
  • Apreche said:

It will probably be hella overpriced, but Final Fantasy VI will be on Steam next week.

Isn't it also the ugly looking mobile phone version, instead of the old pixely goodness?
  • Apsup said:

Apreche said:

It will probably be hella overpriced, but Final Fantasy VI will be on Steam next week.

Isn't it also the ugly looking mobile phone version, instead of the old pixely goodness?
    Doesn't that version let you change the graphical style in the settings to still see the goodness?
  • Apreche said:

Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Doesn't that version let you change the graphical style in the settings to still see the goodness?
    Nothing I've seen or heard implies that's the case.

• No, it does not have the original graphics bundled with it.

Basically, my desire to remind Square-Enix that games like FFVI deserve money doesn't defeat the fact that emulating the game is still superior.

A note to game companies: If emulating your game gives me a better experience than your official release, you're doing something wrong.
  • FF6 is one of the few genuine GBA games I own. Playing it on the Micro is just godly. So portable. So godly.
  • FF6 is one of the few genuine GBA games I own. Playing it on the Micro is just godly. So portable. So godly.

Yes indeed. I saw Zeus playing it on his micro just this morning.

I legit forgot that the micro was a thing and am now looking at buying one on ebay.
  • Accepting our lord and saviour Jesus Christ and owning a GBA Micro are currently the only known ways to enter the kingom of heaven.

Although one of those may be untrue.

Probably the Jesus one, but Idk.