This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meta Forum Comments

Comments

• Oh God I was so excited when they started serving up photographs with the news on Prodigy. I think they were 16 color gifs, and they took about 2 minutes to fully download.

Watching the vector graphics pop in a polygon at a time was really cool.

I had some $700+ GEnie bills and some similar AOL bills back when internet access was $3/hr.
    Haha, GEnie. Cyberstrike. Dragonrealms. God damn.
  • How come my Geocities isn't on the wayback machine? It's TimesSquare/Castle/.... I forget the numbers ;(
  • I played so much Cyberstrike and even more Dragonrealms (before the WOW kiddies found it and turned it into a sea of LFG! LFG!)

I played an Elf Warrior Mage named Mathyas forEVER and never seemed to make it past 10th circle, but I played pretty casually and didn't think much of it. Years later an op told me that my character had been "bugged" all along and didn't advance because of the issue. Was a bit miffed.
  • How come my Geocities isn't on the wayback machine? It's TimesSquare/Castle/.... I forget the numbers ;(
    I think it's because:

1. A ton of people linked to it back in the day (again, an account of my ROMs ;^) ).
    2. When I was at RIT, I wiped it out and hosted that bullshit little site for a class, so it had fresh content as recently as 2000-2001.

• I used Prodigy (with a 2400bps modem), and later Prodigy Internet. We switched from that to Wow (one of the first unlimited dialup services) and upgraded to a 33.6kbps modem. I never had a 56k: we went straight to an early adopter program of cable modems.

• edited October 2012
    I went from 14.4 to cable, IIRC. I had a slow connection for what seemed like forever.

Oh, no, wait, I did have a 33.6 (36.6?) for about 3 months in there, I think.

I remember when @Home was fast as hell, before it got many subscribers. Well above advertised speeds for a year or more, then that ended precipitously.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Kenjura knew me quite well in those days, Horatio. ;^)
  • I totally remember setting up demos to download before going to bed on my 14.4. When we got 28.8 it was incredible. 33.6 was a pipe dream.

We were one of the last in my group of friends to get broadband, and when we did it was DSL.

• Comcast cable modems were the business in those early days. I got sub-50 pings to reliable Quake servers. On Bunny's Action Q2, I consistently pulled 24.

Those were good days. It's easy to forget that back then, I had surprising bandwidth, but almost nothing to do with it except online games and text chatting. There was no Youtube. There wasn't really even video online. Many computers couldn't play MPEG files, let alone encode anything. Bandwidth was limited by the people hosting what little content there was: I was effectively unlimited myself, as was everyone else with a cable modem.

For team voicechat in quake, we'd use landline phones.
  • edited October 2012
    I remember sub-50 pings, but 25 was a rarity in my neighborhood. I suck on ice at deathmatch FPS, so it wasn't a driving factor for me. My scores DID improve as my latency dropped, though. I was never a fan of shooting into the air to "lead" the lag rather than the target in games. MW3 was awful for this.

Oh man squadron, I'd never have finished downloading DOOM shareware if not for ZMODEM. Thank god for resumable transfers!
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I had 14.4 for quite some time, but that was before the era where you would download anything significant. With my 56K USB modem I downloaded Linux isos, Star Office, lots of mp3s through Napster, and lots of NES/SNES roms. Then I went directly to RIT, which was an insane jump. There was one summer where I went back home with a hard drive full of digital fansubs, and no way to download more. Ended up watching all of Love Hina... At least it had cute turtles.
  • You still couldn't get broadband in the neighborhood I grew up in last I checked. I was on dial-up till college.
    There are a couple of other archives, including a 900 GB torrent. Spent a good long time trying to resurrect mine, but, alas, they couldn't get it all before Yahoo screwed everyone.

http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Geocities

• Ah, it's poetry you seek.

Rym wrote:
    >
    > Unnoticed, a Dragon hops up onto a tree stump by the fire.
    >
    >
    >
    > The lofted peaks of mountains high
    > Striving forth to pierce the sky.
    > Sheltered forests, sylvan green
    > Misted vales in between.
    >
    > Wood-woven wonders to fill thyne eyes
    > For radiant heart thy soul belies.
    > Heart of the mountain, song of the sea
    > Thy spirit is one to forever be free.
    >
    > Golden Sun on Silver lake
    > Luminous form thy soul betake.
    > Silver Moon and Golden Sun
    > Faery’s dawn has just begun.
    >
    > Soaring spirit, fancy’s flight
    > Mortal bonds: forgotten blight.
    > For in the blood that runneth thee
    > Lies the spirit of the Sidhe.
    >
    > All of this, I give to thee.
    > Cry no more, for thou art free.
    >
    > And if thy Heart return to me,
    > Then I, mine own, I give to thee.
    >
    > He quickly hops back down and resumes his Spring break nap.
    >

Rym, 4/14/1998.

Where does this come from? Were, indeed.
    A+++++++++ would read again.

• I did in fact get an A- for that one. I forget what I lost some points for.

Seriously? In high school, I was the mother-fucking man.
  • In high school I was a referee for a professional wrestling organization...
  • This was from the era where Rym and I were receiving instruction in English...from Henry V (or his nearest facsimile). This would also be the era where he and I thought it might be a good idea to buy some heavy iron sticks and film ourselves trying to murder one another with them in the forest while acting out scenes from MacBeth.
  • ). This would also be the era where he and I thought it might be a good idea to buy some heavy iron sticks and film ourselves trying to murder one another with them in the forest while acting out scenes from MacBeth.
    I FOUND THE VHS TAPE OF THAT A FEW WEEKS AGO.

Maybe it's time for Youtube.

• ). This would also be the era where he and I thought it might be a good idea to buy some heavy iron sticks and film ourselves trying to murder one another with them in the forest while acting out scenes from MacBeth.

I think that could only be a good thing.

Maybe? What is this maybe? Put that shit up.

Reminds me I really need to finally invest in some VHS capture software. I have a large library of stuff that I haven't watched in years due to not wanting to bust out the VCR, including some awesomely nostalgic home movies.
  • My friends already converted most of our bullshit to the internet. I just avoid sharing it.
  • Have successfully halloweenified my name and avatar.
  • I feel like I can't get mine fixed up before Halloween has come and gone. Maybe prep for Christmas or something. Mine sort of fits fall... and november pony season.
  • Can't figure what to do with my handle, but I fixed my avatar.
  • I dress up the same each year I don't know what you all are talking about.
  • I absolutely refuse to make one tiny bit of effort for this holiday.
  • I love how America -- a nation that is nearly %80 Christian -- feverishly celebrates Halloween and worships Sinterniklaus.
  • I love how America -- a nation that is nearly %80 Christian -- feverishly celebrates Halloween and worships Sinterniklaus.
    Well the Christians did steal those and more stuff so...
  • edited October 2012
    I love how America -- a nation that is nearly %80 Christian -- feverishly celebrates Halloween and worships Sinterniklaus.
    Well the Christians did steal those and more stuff so...
    Last time I checked, the proper way to celebrate All Saints Day isn't to rush around the neighborhood dressed as Satan's minions collecting mass-produced sweets the night prior, and don't even get me started on Christmas.
    Post edited by Greg on