This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• Right now, I have nothing planned other than running some DnD. So no offense taken.
  • Well got an odd question for all of your artists. You know Squarepainter? He has been trying to get a share of a booth for CTcon and had no luck. So if you have a booth and don't mind splitting it with him or can't man your booth let him know.
  • edited July 2012
    Duuuude. If I was going I would bring some of my stuff for you. My basic setup, which I haven't put up in over 3 years, is still around.

As for table covers, just go to a fabric store or a thrift store and get a couple of yards of colored cheap fabric.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • OMFG I love your display case I gotta build one.

Any FRC folks who wanna stop by, I'll be giving away a bunch of free d20's (until I run out). You just have to ask.
  • Actually looking at your layout has reminded me that AC at CT-con 2012 is a BOOTH, not a table like in the photo galleries I was looking at to get an idea of what goes on there. I knew that, but somehow it didn't really sink in.

Consequently, I've been planning my area as if it's a table with a banner over it and not much else. I haven't planned for a walk-in arrangement at all, more like a lemonade stand.

Oh God I'm gonna look like a nub, aren't I?

• Oh God I'm gonna look like a nub, aren't I?
    If you are in the artist alley only expect a table, in the vendor area then you might be right.
  • The Artist Alley/Colony at Connecticon this year has full-fledged 8x8' booths. I knew this but wasn't really considering that I could fill the whole space and not just the table. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Well, I finally have to admit that it's too late to come up with the budget for a vinyl banner. ;-)

I'm going to go down to AC Moore tonight and buy some banner paper and hope that I won't embarrass myself too badly. I wish I knew some calligraphy...

On the plus side, I have a little more stock than I thought I did, despite feeling like I wasn't making enough. So, I probably won't run out of product and look silly sitting in an empty booth for half a day. :-)
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited July 2012
    Actually looking at your layout has reminded me that AC at CT-con 2012 is a BOOTH, not a table like in the photo galleries I was looking at to get an idea of what goes on there. I knew that, but somehow it didn't really sink in.

Consequently, I've been planning my area as if it's a table with a banner over it and not much else. I haven't planned for a walk-in arrangement at all, more like a lemonade stand.

Oh God I'm gonna look like a nub, aren't I?
    Actually I am in the Dealer's Room in this photo. I think you can have a booth-type setup around your table as long as you stay in your space, but it's still a table in the Artist Alley.

ETA: reading. If they changed it for this year that's cool, but it hasn't been that way in the past. Alternatively, I wouldn't plan for much walk-in; let the 8x8 space be YOUR walking and sitting space and use it for display and storage.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Muppet, Nuri, and any others . . . once we're at CtCon could you list the name of your tables, or post a picture here or on GroupMe? I'm terrible at recognizing people I've only seen pictures of, but I do want to say hi and maybe do some shopping.

Alternately, if anybody sees a middle-aged lady with very short bleached blonde hair and glasses, it's almost certainly me, so please say hello if you want. There's just not that many old folks there, so we tend to stand out.
  • I didn't get in on the GroupMe because I assumed I'm too new around here to be part of the gang, but I'm happy to join if people are cool with it.

We'll be Loki's Lucky Charms (and Suddenly Jewelry). Just look for the really badly hand painted banner. :-)
  • I didn't get in on the GroupMe because I assumed I'm too new around here to be part of the gang, but I'm happy to join if people are cool with it.

We'll be Loki's Lucky Charms (and Suddenly Jewelry). Just look for the really badly hand painted banner. :-)
    Share email and someone will invite you in, also installing the app on the phone or mobile device as well is a big plus.
  • I'm mark.warner@gmail.com

I'll go look for the Android app.

Thanks! :)
    We don't work on a seniority system here. Don't worry about it. :3

So, who's doing panels? Will and I are doing:

Roguelikes: Do You Want Your Panels Identified? on Friday at 2 PM in Panel 5 (Ah, ah, ah, ah PANEL FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE)

Overthinking Video Games at 6:30 on Friday in Panel 5

Craziest Mecha Moments Alpha at 5 PM on Saturday in Panel 1.

And Monster Hunter 101 (Which is different than Monster Hunting) at 11:30 AM Sunday in Panel 7.

• So, who's doing panels?
    Hmm, I was about to paste my panels from the ConnectiCon web site, but it currently appears to be dead.

I'm doing:

* And It’s Live Action?!?? The Films of Minoru Kawasaki, Sunday, 11:30am-12:30pm, Panel 8. Kawasaki is the man who brought you Calamari Wrestler and Executive Koala. Expect lots of silly clips. (Presenting with Constantine.)

* The Family That Geeks Together, Saturday 3pm, Panel 6. We've been doing this panel since 2009, and it's time to retire it. Last call. (Presenting with Constantine and Greg.)

Also Constantine and Greg are doing a bunch of other things, either together or separately. I can't find most of them because the site is down, but I do know:

* So You Think You're an Otaku? Friday, 6:20-7:30pm, Panel 1. A game show based largely on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, but geekier, and featuring several CtCon guests (I think they don't know which ones just yet).

I remember Constantine's doing a history of dice, and Greg's doing a Madoka/Eva panel. I think there's probably more.
  • Do these guys ever get the maps up ahead of the convention, or should I just assume I won't see the layout until I'm there? ;-)
  • Download Conventionist, might get a sneak peak there.
  • edited July 2012
    Oh man, looking forward to this.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Oh man, looking forward to this.
    Abject terror at having no idea what the flip I'm doing is slowly eclipsing my anticipatory excitement. :-)
    Oooh, is CtCon using Conventionist this year? For some reason I think it hasn't before but perhaps I am mistaken.

Oooh, is CtCon using Conventionist this year? For some reason I think it hasn't before but perhaps I am mistaken.

Last year it did, don't see why they wouldn't this year.
  • Just downloaded it (now called "Guidebook"). CT-con is not on there. :(

Last year it did, don't see why they wouldn't this year.
    I just downloaded Conventionist (on Droid), which tells me it's changed its name to Guidebook and isn't publishing any new guides through Conventionist. So, I downloaded Guidebook, but can't find a guide for ConnectiCon yet. Maybe it's just too early; I don't see anything about it on the CtCon web site (which is now back up).
  • Yeah, I didn't find a CTcon Guidebook either.

So, someone add me to the groupme! vigatheotagal@gmail.com

So, who's doing panels?
    Besides Pokemon, it's about the surge of mon shows in Pokemon's shadows.

Also, Brony vs. Brony, a MLP fanboy/girl gameshow!
  • Note there's a panel gong show on Sunday. Guess who the judges are. ;^)

Signups for that will be at Panel Ops Friday and Saturday. Think "open mic" panels.
  • Note there's a panel gong show on Sunday.
    What is a gong show?
  • Think "America's Got Talent", only WAY less polite.

The Gong Show was great.
  • Muppet, Nuri, and any others . . . once we're at CtCon could you list the name of your tables, or post a picture here or on GroupMe? I'm terrible at recognizing people I've only seen pictures of, but I do want to say hi and maybe do some shopping.

Alternately, if anybody sees a middle-aged lady with very short bleached blonde hair and glasses, it's almost certainly me, so please say hello if you want. There's just not that many old folks there, so we tend to stand out.
    I would if I was going. :P Sadly, I have grown bored with this con, so I am staying home to MAKE ALL THE GARB for Pennsic.

• Note there's a panel gong show on Sunday. Guess who the judges are. ;^)

Signups for that will be at Panel Ops Friday and Saturday. Think "open mic" panels.
    If I had any last minute ideas, I'd totally sign up.
  • Note there's a panel gong show on Sunday.
    Will there be more details once we get on site? I don't know whether we should be dancing in chicken suits, or preparing slides, or both.