This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• Not really. I'm curious what will turn up at this thing. It's a mostly boundless experiment.
  • Not sure if I'll be making it this year. Work is sending me to Chicago next week, and I don't get back until Saturday morning.
  • Door tickets still available to the con? I live about an hour west of Hartford and have never attended this convention.
  • Door tickets still available to the con? I live about an hour west of Hartford and have never attended this convention.
    I can personally guarantee it won't sell out. Might be slightly pricey for more than one day, though. Also, parking is not free.
  • Next weekend, right?
  • So, who's doing panels?
    Me and my buddy Angel are rocking "The 36th Chamber: An Intro to Kung Fu Cinema" in which we break down some of the best Kung Fu movies for those who want to get deeper into the genera. It's at 1:30 on Saturday in Panel 6
  • I hope that I can get my little brother trained well enough that I can venture away from my booth for awhile. I've never been at any sort of con before. I'm intrigued.
  • This gong show. I gotta see it.
  • Next year you need a $1.98 beauty pagent. I like old game shows...
  • I'm going to be in the AC on Thursday night for setup, anybody else?

If my booth does well, I'll buy a round of drinks* and a bucket of wings at J Timothy's Friday night... :-)

*I reserve the right to rescind this offer if I get way too many takers.. ;-)
  • You kids can add me to whatever sort of GroupMe you've got going on: matthew.d.morgan@gmail.com.

I'll be there all day Saturday, and will be doing the "Free Your Mind and the Dice Will Follow: Bridging the Gap from Video Games to Board Games" panel at 8PM that night in Panel Room 1.
  • We were talking about this on the GroupMe, but might as well put it in a more public form. Here's what I'm bringing, game-wise, to ConnectiCon:

Spot-it
    Dixit
    Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil and expansion
    Carcasonne
    Bananagrams
    Order of the Stick Adventure Game
    Cards Against Humanity

And probably a few assorted miscellaneous games. What's anyone else bringing?
  • "We will be adding maps shortly."

LIES
  • I will bring Ascension and it's first expansion for those interested. Perhaps also Yomi and Puzzle Strike.
  • "We will be adding maps shortly."

LIES
    It's CTcon, the layout isn't complicated.
  • Having never been, it'd be cool to know the layout before I get there. Especially since my ventures out of my booth will be short and few.

If it's simple, great, but maps would still be nice.
  • Panels are on the top floor to the left and right, main event and artist alley is square in the middle on the top as well. Ignore the middle since there is no room. Bottom floor has the tabletop area on the right, video game area in the middle, and dealers room on the left. It basically hasn't changed for about 3 years now.
  • Artist Colony is straddling video gaming this year, isn't it?
  • Unless things have changed Artists Alley has usually been on the top floor, while video games took bottom, so you guys will have at least a floor or two of space between the two. This is of course assuming Connecticon hasn't completely changed things around this year.
  • That's what I'm saying. They have reportedly completely changed things around this year.
  • Connecticon publications in terms of print and website have always been godawful.
  • That's what I'm saying. They have reportedly completely changed things around this year.
    No worries, ask one of us staffers and we'll help ya. ~_^

Seriously, even if they moved everything it'll take all of 5 minutes to figure out the new layout. The convention center has a very simple layout that's easy to get the hang of. It's definitely no Otakon. :P
  • edited July 2012
    That's what I'm saying. They have reportedly completely changed things around this year.
    No worries, ask one of us staffers and we'll help ya. ~_^

Seriously, even if they moved everything it'll take all of 5 minutes to figure out the new layout. The convention center has a very simple layout that's easy to get the hang of. It's definitely no Otakon. :P
    I guess my frustration is with the dearth of communication generally. I'm still not sure what the booth looks like precisely, the dimensions of the included table, etc. I'm going to bring a bunch of mostly modular stuff and hope it all fits well and looks OK. I could plan better with a diagram or at least specific answers to the repeated questions about AC booths this year. I know the overall external dimensions but the explanation of the sides and back is a little baffling without a visual reference.

It feels like the registration fee is a little high relative to other venues, which I'm giving the benefit of the doubt because everyone says it's an awesome con (well mostly everyone), and the proximity to the dealer room is promising, but for the fee it'd be nice to get consistent, clear, early communication on key things like booth/table dimensions with a diagram, etc.

It could be the best convention in the world but the slipshod, late, or absent communication gives a really bad impression. I'm reserving judgment and I don't want to burn any bridges with over-criticism but I think this is a pretty valid one.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • That sucks bro. I only work with the panels department, so I don't know anything that can help you. :(
  • I'm just trying to qualify my bitching a little, that's all. :-)
  • And I like helping people so I haz a sad.
  • Here is a working link to maps!

http://connecticon.org/maps2

That's fantastic! I wonder why it's not live. Because of their host throttling issues? Seems like the convention is big enough to afford a host with adequate bandwidth, but I don't really understand how convention budgets work.

That's fantastic! I wonder why it's not live. Because of their host throttling issues? Seems like the convention is big enough to afford a host with adequate bandwidth, but I don't really understand how convention budgets work.
    Has nothing to do with budgets.

Has nothing to do with budgets.
    Explain? I'm not taking shots, I'm just wondering aloud. Did they just get a bum host? I've only ever been throttled on discount hosts, but then I've never pulled down Connecticon level traffic, either.