This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• We were talking about this on the GroupMe, but might as well put it in a more public form. Here's what I'm bringing, game-wise, to ConnectiCon:

Spot-it
    Dixit
    Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil and expansion
    Carcasonne
    Bananagrams
    Order of the Stick Adventure Game
    Cards Against Humanity

And probably a few assorted miscellaneous games. What's anyone else bringing?
    I know we'll be bringing Spot-It, Jungle Speed, and Bang! We'll probably bring Cash 'N' Guns and paper-craft Vegas -- plus anything else the other TvHs want to bring.
  • Here is a working link to maps!

http://connecticon.org/maps2
    That's fantastic! I wonder why it's not live. Because of their host throttling issues? Seems like the convention is big enough to afford a host with adequate bandwidth, but I don't really understand how convention budgets work.
    Has nothing to do with budgets.
    Explain? I'm not taking shots, I'm just wondering aloud. Did they just get a bum host? I've only ever been throttled on discount hosts, but then I've never pulled down Connecticon level traffic, either.
    They're just not too smart technologically speaking. We have nothing to do with that. We are panels only.

That's fantastic! I wonder why it's not live. Because of their host throttling issues? Seems like the convention is big enough to afford a host with adequate bandwidth, but I don't really understand how convention budgets work.
    Has nothing to do with budgets.
    Explain? I'm not taking shots, I'm just wondering aloud. Did they just get a bum host? I've only ever been throttled on discount hosts, but then I've never pulled down Connecticon level traffic, either.
    They're just not too smart technologically speaking. We have nothing to do with that. We are panels only.
    Got it.

I'm still excited for this con. I wish I had attended as a normal attendee first at least once, but I'll find chances to escape. :)
  • We were talking about this on the GroupMe, but might as well put it in a more public form. Here's what I'm bringing, game-wise, to ConnectiCon:

Spot-it
    Dixit
    Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil and expansion
    Carcasonne
    Bananagrams
    Order of the Stick Adventure Game
    Cards Against Humanity

And probably a few assorted miscellaneous games. What's anyone else bringing?
    I know we'll be bringing Spot-It, Jungle Speed, and Bang! We'll probably bring Cash 'N' Guns and paper-craft Vegas -- plus anything else the other TvHs want to bring.
    I'll probably bring a spare Jungle Speed. I figure everything else we can borrow from the library and get mad tickets for!
  • I figure everything else we can borrow from the library and get mad tickets for!
    I'm being a noob again, can someone translate this Greek for me?
  • Upon returning a game to the Connecticon game library, player are awarded tickets (bunny money) for having played it with a minor bonus going to the victor. These tickets can be turned in at the prize table for games and gaming accessories like an arcade.
  • That is probably the coolest thing I've ever heard.

I'm really sad now that I've been missing out on this aspect of geek culture all my life.

That's what I get for being a misanthrope I guess. :)
  • Upon returning a game to the Connecticon game library, player are awarded tickets (bunny money) for having played it with a minor bonus going to the victor. These tickets can be turned in at the prize table for games and gaming accessories like an arcade.
    You get more tickets the longer you play with the more people. Last year, Phil & I got Oshi, Tsuro, 7wonders expansion, and Samurai, for free. This year, we're aiming for Power Grid expansions, and Hinterlands, hopefully Carpets or Alhambra.
  • Ya know, with the website almost nonfunctional, it would be really handy if the schedule were in the Conventionist/Guidebook.

Not that I'm cranky or bitter or anything.
  • LOL@Carpets. :3

That is a great way to get free games.
  • Ya know, with the website almost nonfunctional, it would be really handy if the schedule were in the Conventionist/Guidebook.

And this is the new improved completely redone web site that completely replaced the old also nonfunctional one!

And this is the new improved completely redone web site that completely replaced the old also nonfunctional one!
    I did get a little skeptical when they were still talking about developing the registration system 4 days from when registration opened for AC...

Ironically enough, one might speculate that the improved functionality of the site actually brought about the huge increase in site traffic they were talking about over on Facebook. There wasn't much cause to go to the site before there was info on it; I'd just download the PDF of the program book once it went up.
  • Hey, we (Providence party of 4) are hoping to arrive in Hartford early (Thursday evening), but didn't book a hotel for Thursday night. I need to find crash space for 2 people. Does anyone have some room? Even floor space will work -- we can bring sleeping bags.
  • Worst-case, you can crash with us on the floor at the Residence Thursday. We're getting in around 8:30pm Thursday on Megabus.
  • I'd offer but between the dogs, the toddler, and my wife, it would not be pretty. :-)
  • For anyone getting in Thursday night bring something fancy to wear. There is a formal dance for anyone pre-registed that we are nicknaming 'Nerd Prom'.
  • What if you're staff and not pre-reg'd?
  • For anyone getting in Thursday night bring something fancy to wear. There is a formal dance for anyone pre-registed that we are nicknaming 'Nerd Prom'.
    Staff too?
  • Yes, staff too. Staff have the ultimate badge. But normal attendees can't come unless they're pre-reged.

Also, if you want to 'chaperone' I think we're still looking for help...
  • Staff are on The List to get badges already from Con Ops. (Scott and I won't be there until 9:00pm or so on Thursday, so either find Con Ops or try to find Kristin. ;^)

I'm assuming staff can join in on that.
  • Writing parodies of anime descriptions for our So You Think Your An Otaku game show. Do you have any idea how hard it is to parody descriptions of anime?
  • I'm assuming that anyone who can pick up a badge Thursday (either from Con Ops or Pre-reg) can go to the Nerd Prom. But I fear the Nerd Prom. Anybody wanna play board games instead?
  • I'm assuming that anyone who can pick up a badge Thursday (either from Con Ops or Pre-reg) can go to the Nerd Prom. But I fear the Nerd Prom. Anybody wanna play board games instead?
    Yes please.
  • I'd like to go to Nerd Prom, but I don't think we're gonna get in until at least 10 pm.

Panel 3 has a typo, or do we really have two Panel 2's?
  • Typo. Scott and I both reported that within 15 seconds of seeing the interface. ;^)
  • It comes up as Panel 3 when you click on it, but I'm sure we'll get a million questions if it's not fix.
  • edited July 2012
    Interesting that the numbering start from the farthest panel room on the left side, but the nearest on the right.

Also, the table top RPG people are going to be really unhappy that they're in the loud cafeteria area this year.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • The numbering appears to be simply counterclockwise around the building.

As for TTRPGs, that wasn't my call. As best I can tell, they were moved to one, create more panel rooms, and two, get them more exposure. People seemed to have a hard time finding those rooms, and it was often quiet up there during the day.

This whole "more, smaller" panel rooms thing is an experiment in general. We'll see how it goes. At least there are several larger rooms (a 250, two 200s, and a 125), and popular things have been scheduled accordingly as much as possible.