This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Andrew said:

This is why Oculus is putting a non-trivial amount of effort into building a research team dedicated to innovating ten years out.

Because that's prevented others from failing in the past?
  • We'll see what happens in ten years :)
  • The psychology student part of me wonders if VR could lead to a new vector for psychological disorders and/or possibly treatments.
    I thought of this because many people use video games as an escape, could using VR as an escape and coming to identify with a body that isn't your own lead to cognitive dissonance and depression?
    It seems a less likely issue for adults, but video games are still seen as largely children's toys. What happens when Lil Timmy who grow up imaging himself as under warrior 9000 in a video game is predisposed to obesity, acne etc. And he looks nothing like he envisioned and never will.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, I'm curious if anyone has had any thoughts on this?
  • I swear I saw some sort of anime a while ago that had some themes about this. Don't remember what it was though.
  • Psycho diver?
  • There are more fundamental issues. Our health and safety warning states that children under the age of 13 should not use a VR headset. This is due to the issue of their eyes and physical head dimensions not being developed enough to use the headset without it affecting their eyesight.
  • Andrew said:

There are more fundamental issues. Our health and safety warning states that children under the age of 13 should not use a VR headset. This is due to the issue of their eyes and physical head dimensions not being developed enough to use the headset without it affecting their eyesight.

Hrmm, true I had forgotten this point. I do hope whenever the inevitable advertising comes there is something in it saying above X years. But I kinda know regardless of any warning some ignorant parent with more money and less sense who takes no(or little) interest in their child's hobbies will end up getting it for them. Sucks that that seems like an inevitably when it comes to video game type things.
  • Dubyaz said:

Andrew said:

There are more fundamental issues. Our health and safety warning states that children under the age of 13 should not use a VR headset. This is due to the issue of their eyes and physical head dimensions not being developed enough to use the headset without it affecting their eyesight.

Hrmm, true I had forgotten this point. I do hope whenever the inevitable advertising comes there is something in it saying above X years. But I kinda know regardless of any warning some ignorant parent with more money and less sense who takes no(or little) interest in their child's hobbies will end up getting it for them. Sucks that that seems like an inevitably when it comes to video game type things.
    The 3DS, while not VR, has warnings for similar reasons in all the ads
  • Yeah, the age on 3DS is 7
  • New website/logo! Only 48 hours left...
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
  • Getting my wallet nice and ready.

I shouldn't have cheapened out by getting a 960 when I was building my HTPC a few months back.
  • Looking forward to spending all the monies eventually.

But not in the next 48 hours.
  • Looking kinda slick
  • edited June 2015
    Some guy in the comment on GameSpot said "I was up in the air between the Valve VR and Oculus but I don't want a garbage Xbox controller. So I'm getting the Valve VR".

I had a good chuckle about it.

EDIT: That being said I don't necessarily need another Xbox One controller, but I'd probably just sell it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I can't believe the presentation led with the XBox stuff. Talk about shitting the bed. We all wanted to hear about having great original VR experiences, gaming and otherwise.

To get there, we had to listen to 10 minutes of "XBox for you face." It's the equivalent of trying to get excited to go see a 3D screening of a movie filmed with 2D cameras.

Hopefully not much of the audience is turned off, because Oculus still has all the cards. I know I'm buying one. I just want to see it catch on, not get sidelined as a Microsoft gaming accessory.
  • I wonder if that means Oculus will work for Halo 5. If it does, I may kind of have to sell my soul and buy an Xbone (maybe).
  • So, is it a suitable replacement for the Kinect?
  • So will I be able to VR-bone Cortana?

Is that what this means?

Because as much as I'm no-longer 17, that might be a killer app.
  • edited June 2015
    SWATrous said:

So will I be able to VR-bone Cortana?

I can pretty much guarantee that someone will make that for Source. The hard part will be interfacing the teledildonics.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Daikun said:

So, is it a suitable replacement for the Kinect?

The Hololens actually has 2 Kinect sensors builts in, but as they face out, it's used for mapping your environment rather than tracking your body.

I imagine Microsoft will still want to keep the Xbone Kinect in combo with Hololens. Whilst Oculus is a seperate endeavour.
  • Henry should be the company mascot for Oculus like how Luxo is for Pixar. Think about it, small, interesting looking, awkward, and hard to wear.
  • People wear Luxo?
  • I'm comparing henry and the oculus rift.
  • edited July 2015

awkward, and hard to wear.

It's really not.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Other than actually using one, is there a good way to get a feel for how sensitive one is to Oculus motion sickness?
  • "Henwy the Hedgehog" is cool and all but the advertisment seems to be selling me the 21st century equivalent of ELIZA.
    "Is Henwy doing that because you're there?" - yes his eyes are programmed to follow a point of focu right which is a point on the screen.

I would still get this device to see what it actually is rather than pass judgement without seeing it or I will convince the University computer club to buy 2 or 3. If the audio is good and comfortable (which it can't be, because it's on ear) I would buy my own or wait till I can use whatever headphones I want

Why make a hedgehog, all Oculus had to do was not choose a hedgehog, bandicoot or a plumber of Italian descent.