This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• The headphones are removable so you can replace them with (likely) more inferior headphones. The built in audio is pretty nice.
  • MATATAT said:

Haha, oh wow.

Those damn kids and their Facebooks...
  • Drink the kool-aid
  • The art tools are legit.

Watching Netflix? Really? Are you really going to say it's a better experience to lay on the couch with this thing strapped to my face than to just have the video on my TV?

Even if it's really really comfortable to wear, there's another problem. I can't see anything else. I have to take it off and stop hearing and seeing the video to do anything else at all. With a TV I can see the food I am eating while the movie plays.
  • Apreche said:

Watching Netflix? Really? Are you really going to say it's a better experience to lay on the couch with this thing strapped to my face than to just have the video on my TV?

No, but watching netflix on the train or airplane might be legit. Also, the killer app for the video tools is going to be the social, networked viewing capabilities. Want to watch star wars with me in the same theater and chat about it from across the country? Let's do it!
  • Andrew said:

Apreche said:

No, but watching netflix on the train or airplane might be legit. Also, the killer app for the video tools is going to be the social, networked viewing capabilities. Want to watch star wars with me in the same theater and chat about it from across the country? Let's do it!
    Yeah, the portable watching could be legit, but won't you need a lot of power? What's the battery situation?

Networked viewing is cool, but really has nothing to do with VR. It can be done just fine with LCD screens, but nobody is really doing it well.
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

Apreche said:

Yeah, the portable watching could be legit, but won't you need a lot of power? What's the battery situation?

Networked viewing is cool, but really has nothing to do with VR. It can be done just fine with LCD screens, but nobody is really doing it well.
    Battery life is several hours (note: that I don't work on the mobile product so I cannot confirm usage stats).

You cannot get 3D positional audio or the ability to turn and chat with people. The basic presence you get from mobile is actually quite compelling on the social aspect.

Let's not forget the best announcement, Oculus Arcade!
  • I'm not all that interested in strapping it to my face to watch a normal video. But I'm all about checking out a 360 degree video.
  • Kids use to say they were surfing the web.

Now they'll be saying they're strapping on.
  • edited September 2015
    Bullet Train is hella fun
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • *bursts through the wall*

OOHHH YEAAHHHHHHHHH
  • Holy shit, someone made this in Medium at the conference today in like 20 minutes.
  • A look into Toybox

• I know the touch is far more sophisticated and capable, but for video games what was wrong with the Wii remote?

Even the PlayStation Move didn't seem to add much more to gameplay in terms of innovation. What great games have I missed?
  • The Wiimote doesn't actually work and provide the precision needed for this type of content.
  • Andrew said:

The Wiimote doesn't actually work and provide the precision needed for this type of content.

I know that. Look at the space required for these types of experiences. Part of the reason why the Kinect, PS move weren't so popular is that it takes up space in order to use it properly. The Wii only needed that crappy infrared sensor bar. You can play from your sofa unless you were bowling.

Yes you have increased precision, but you require more space and hardware. Unless you're playing a legit surgical simulator, or are a digital artist doing some form of sculpting, I see the Touch (as cool as it is) being very niche compared to the Oculus on its own.
  • The wiimote's controls were basically:

1. Waggling
    2. Not waggling
    3. Vague shakey pointing.

It did nothing else. It was worthless for any game.

I've used the controls in this thread. They are amazing and freakishly immersive in ways you can't even imagine.
  • Oculus Touch is designed to work with both standing and seated experiences that require various different play space requirements.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Andrew said:

The Wiimote doesn't actually work and provide the precision needed for this type of content.

Yes you have increased precision, but you require more space and hardware. Unless you're playing a legit surgical simulator, or are a digital artist doing some form of sculpting, I see the Touch (as cool as it is) being very niche compared to the Oculus on its own.
    Note that is this also why it's being sold as a separate add-on to the Rift itself.

• edited October 2015
    Not completely related, but I just got a message on LinkedIn from someone recruiting for HBO, who are apparently doing something with bringing their content to the Rift. Game of Thrones was mentioned specifically. And all I could think was, "so... interactive boob exhibit?"
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Not completely related, but I just got a message on LinkedIn from someone recruiting for HBO, who are apparently doing something with bringing their content to the Rift. Game of Thrones was mentioned specifically. And all I could think was, "so... interactive boob exhibit?"

• So tangentially related to Oculus, but I got in a set of the Wearality Sky lenses with the phone frame.

I love that I have a simple tool that just leverages the phone I already have for doing minor things like watching 360 surround videos or playing VR apps. But I immediately see the need to use this as a full-blown display for 3D design and for flight-sim games and the need is so strong I am starting to wonder what I need to do to get this new Rift bizness going. For just using it as a professional tool as in the Oculus Medium video, would probably be reason enough.

But War Thunder beckons me as well.

At any rate, I love the view on the Wearality, the lenses show great promise though the Fresnel aspect takes something from it as much as it gives. No doubt as this type of tech improves we'll likely see lenses that border on perfect for the eye.

For now, as much as I probably would get a Rift for the amazing tech and the controllers and plug-and-play factor I am curious to use my 3D printer and an OEM 1080 screen to make a homebrew VR headset using the Wearality lenses.
  • Not completely related, but I just got a message on LinkedIn from someone recruiting for HBO, who are apparently doing something with bringing their content to the Rift. Game of Thrones was mentioned specifically. And all I could think was, "so... interactive boob exhibit?"

HBO has been working with Oculus for quite some time. I think it was two years ago that they started doing a demo, on DK1, where you walk along the top of The Wall. I remember them bringing it to SXSW and similar events. I then remember them upgrading it for DK2. Cool to see they are keeping at it.

• So I just bought a crappy google cardboard headset and got it working with pc games. Future time is now.
  • edited October 2015

So I just bought a crappy google cardboard headset and got it working with pc games. Future time is now.

More like congratulations, you've finally adopted some 1991 tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuality_(gaming)
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

So I just bought a crappy google cardboard headset and got it working with pc games. Future time is now.

But having it so widely accessible. I paid $20 for mine.
  • Apreche said:

You can probably get some of that old junk for $20 on eBay.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

You can probably get some of that old junk for $20 on eBay.
    That's like saying the raspberry pi isn't neat or important because you can get an Apple II for around $40 on ebay.
  • Dear Oculus Rift, when can I spend money on you?