This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• I'm guessing FUCK YOU, IT'S ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE US.
  • edited January 2016

Pre-orders will be global, not US only - We have the required certification in 20 countries, more will follow.

— Palmer Luckey (@PalmerLuckey) January 4, 2016
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That's genuinely surprising. Good effort, and really good work that.
  • Churba said:

MATATAT said:

BUT HOW MUCH WILL IT BE?

I'm expecting $500

I'm going to put my chips on somewhere between 300-400.
    I was thinking 400-500 but the more I thought about it I was thinking that it's gonna be a bit higher which is why I was thinking 500. I suppose 300 would be a pretty solid pricepoint, but I also don't really consider that it will be very consumer friendly for a bit.

Or Andrew could just tell us and not worry about having a job :tongue:
  • MATATAT said:

Churba said:

MATATAT said:

BUT HOW MUCH WILL IT BE?

I'm expecting $500

I'm going to put my chips on somewhere between 300-400.
    I was thinking 400-500 but the more I thought about it I was thinking that it's gonna be a bit higher which is why I was thinking 500. I suppose 300 would be a pretty solid pricepoint, but I also don't really consider that it will be very consumer friendly for a bit.
    They're also not including the hand wavey thingers. Those don't come out - apparently - until a few months past the Rift release.
  • Thank god for holiday bonuses, since I'll likely want a new desktop to go along with the Rift.
  • Didn't they say $350 or less? Or was that not definite?
  • Ikatono said:

Didn't they say $350 or less? Or was that not definite?

IIRC, they said they were aiming for a price point between $200 and $400, but that was some time ago. I think the last thing about it was Palmer Lucky saying it would be "at least" $350.
  • Don't know price. Don't care. I'm all-in. Guess it's time to start shopping for GPU upgrades. My PC is only 10 months old, but I went cheapo with a GTX 960.
  • Matt said:

Don't know price. Don't care. I'm all-in. Guess it's time to start shopping for GPU upgrades. My PC is only 10 months old, but I went cheapo with a GTX 960.

Get a 2nd 960 and SLI
  • Hmmmmm... that'd probably perform somewhere between a 970 and 980, but I only have the 2GB card. I assume this is not going to be enough framebuffer on whatever super-high resolution the Oculus displays at.
  • Or maybe not. At least the Wikipedia article puts the resolution at 2160x1200, which is not bananas.
  • edited January 2016
    SLI is not currently supported for the Rift. Also, it doesn't really provide an benefits for the type of rendering we do for the HMD. 970 is the min-spec we support.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew to the rescue.
  • Andrew said:

Pre-orders will be global, not US only - We have the required certification in 20 countries, more will follow.

— Palmer Luckey (@PalmerLuckey) January 4, 2016

Ah, that's pretty cool then. These days Apple seems like the only company to launch stuff outside the US on the same day.

That said, my current computer is a 6 year old MacBook Pro, so I won't be buying an Oculus Rift until it works with whatever laptop I buy next.
  • Andrew said:

SLI is not currently supported for the Rift. Also, it doesn't really provide an benefits for the type of rendering we do for the HMD. 970 is the min-spec we support.

Have you no heart, there is a man out there staring into his GPU and crying out "WHY!!!?".

lulz

I've put off upgrading my PC for exactly this reason. 980ti by summer, to Gabe Newell I pray.
  • edited January 2016
    My hardware's only three years old, but I'm going to upgrade early for Rifty goodness.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I have a 680, and it's been pushing out max frames max settings on every game I've played since I got it. The fact that Oculus needs something better than that means you can add a few hundreds to its price tag for anyone who doesn't have a brand new power gaming rig already.
  • Who kickstarted a DK1? If you did you are getting a free CV1!
  • Wow.

That's about 6000 and change people, assuming they're not sending them to everyone, just those who kicked in enough for a DK1 in the original kickstarter.
  • edited January 2016
    I'm still kicking myself for not doing the kickstarter way back when... oh wait I was poor as fuck in college. (If I recall)

I'm sad (but actually glad) that this will force me to upgrade my 660ti SLI setup for a single bitchin-ass nasty card. I'm thinkin something like a 980 will do me fine.

At least it'll play War Thunder.

Got the Note 4 version Gear VR. I should have gotten it a while back, it's sweet! I do love watching the shorts and movies and what-not.

But maybe my eyelashes are too long? becasue I find they're rubbing on the lenses and leaving all kinds of gross after 20-ish minutes that I have to clean. Also without ability to adjust things I find I absolutely can't read most HUD-text, it just turns into a blurry cluster-fuck and I get massive headaches. Watching the movies are fine though... and the realism of the theater mode is surprisingly immersive.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • $600, Matatat wins for closest.
  • Pre-order acquired. March shipment.
  • Matt said:

Pre-order acquired. March shipment.

Delivery in March? Sitting in the closet with the Virtual Boy, Kinect, Google Glass, DDR pads, and plastic musical instruments by June. July at best.
  • edited January 2016
    I can afford that.

I have almost that exact closet, except for the Virtual Boy. Maybe I'll pick one up soon.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited January 2016
    Churba said:

$600, Matatat wins for closest.

I was listening to the Bombcast that went up yesterday on my way to work today and the first number Jeff Gerstmann threw out was $599. After he said that I was like eh... yeah I could probably see that being the price too.

I may have mentioned this before but I really don't need another Xbox controller. I have two regular One controllers and an Elite now. But I guess I could sell it on eBay or something.

And Steam is making some announcements as CES this weekend so I'll probably at least wait until I hear what they say before I make any sort of decisions. We also have a guy about to start at my company next week who was working on the Vive at HTC in Seattle so I might quiz him on his thoughts as well.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

Pre-order acquired. March shipment.

Delivery in March? Sitting in the closet with the Virtual Boy, Kinect, Google Glass, DDR pads, and plastic musical instruments by June. July at best.
    lul
  • edited January 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on