This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Matt said:

Dear Oculus Rift, when can I spend money on you?

Spring 2016 I'm guessing
  • Muse just released their latest music video as a 360 virtual reality production. Using the Vrse app you can look around the camera angles pretty well. I'd be happy to watch concerts like this in the future, I think. They got the duration per shot just right to be able to take a look around each view, and then it fades between the viewpoints slowly enough to not get confused or disorientated.

Also racing. The sooner they have individual VR feeds from each driver in a race, the sooner VR will take off. Formula is planning this already:

• Also racing. The sooner they have individual VR feeds from each driver in a race, the sooner VR will take off. Formula is planning this already

When I watch F1 now, I only watch the start, the end, and highlights. With that, I'd probably watch entire races.

• edited November 2015
    Oops, wrong button.

I was going to edit my above post to say "Formula E".
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Did someone say... Formula E?
  • Oops, wrong button.

I was going to edit my above post to say "Formula E".

Formula E looks to be much more open to experiment than it's older brothers.
  • So one of my friends has a DK2 and he invited myself and bunch of our friends over to play some Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. It was a ton of fun. Brilliant concept, though the design is a little rough around the edges. It was my first time using VR of any kind, and it was interesting. I had to keep my glasses on because it was too much trouble to switch lenses out since everyone else has good vision, which made using it more difficult than it normally would be. I didn't have any of the common issues with nausea and such, but I would need to play something that has movement in it to really say if that affects me or not. Overall I definitely want to use it again, but it didn't get me on the bandwagon yet.
  • Consumer version GearVR Pre-Orders are up! $99 and they ship later this month

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/gear-vr/
  • Andrew said:

Consumer version GearVR Pre-Orders are up! $99 and they ship later this month

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/gear-vr/

• Juggling in VR:

• Any chance of getting a Nexus 5X to work with a Gear VR?
  • Matt said:

Any chance of getting a Nexus 5X to work with a Gear VR?

Nope, Samsung is pretty shitty at understanding how to attract users.
  • Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, etc. strategy; domination via proprietary BS
  • Dazzle369 said:

Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, etc. strategy; domination via proprietary BS

The stupidity lies in already having access to a potential user base of all Android devices, the entire platform rather than just their devices.

The more realistic reason is that they only have to worry about hardware which they have tested. Not sure abou the cost benefit.

Samsung also fails to understand that no one is locked into Samsung, you can still move to another handset without changing the platform, no one wants your buggy Samsung bloatware or Tizen watches.
  • I figured that was the answer, but I also figured that smart people may have figures out a way to make that shit work.
  • I have a Note 4... is the Gear worth the price of admission?

I'm still looking for a good setup to run War Thunder and other flight Sims with full head tracking VR and HOTAS input, not sure I can be arsed to DIY at this point, but if there was a pretty direct wading to hack a gear plus phone into a monitor setup that'd be cool.
  • SWATrous said:

I have a Note 4... is the Gear worth the price of admission?

I'm still looking for a good setup to run War Thunder and other flight Sims with full head tracking VR and HOTAS input, not sure I can be arsed to DIY at this point, but if there was a pretty direct wading to hack a gear plus phone into a monitor setup that'd be cool.

I've only used the Oculus I haven't had access to Samsung VR but your setup sounds awesome.
  • For $99, you need to jump on this thing.
  • Meanwhile, if you have an iPhone, you can pick up the my3D by hasbro at the dollar store. I'm trying to figure out how to shoehorn my beefy Note 5 into it.
  • So, I bought a Gear VR. Once you figure out how to wear it comfortably, this thing is amazing. I watched a 2 hour movie in Netflix in it handily. That being said, it is difficult to eat or drink while wearing it and every little smudge or fleck of dust (either on the lenses or your phone) is noticeable and MUST be dealt with. Screen door effect was negligible, but the effect of seeing those mountains outside the window of the Netflix log cabin and not being able to get up and look at them closer is a tad infuriating.
  • Second game bundle has been announced! If you get a Rift, you'll be getting Eve Valkyrie AND Lucky's Tale out of the box!

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/luckys-tale-to-be-bundled-with-every-oculus-rift/
  • I thought Lucky was a fun game when I played it. Pretty simplistic from the demo I played but I think it makes for a solid first experience.
  • I ordered a innovators Gear VR for Note 4. I'm pretty hype to combine them with my Bluetooth headphones and vibe out to some movies. Are there any other killer apps tho you would recommend?
  • edited December 2015
    My advice: Don't use your bluetooth headphones. I used mine with my Note 5 and Gear VR on some apps and they resulted in stuttery audio.

Apps-wise, Smash Hit is awesome.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • BUT HOW MUCH WILL IT BE?

I'm expecting $500
  • MATATAT said:

BUT HOW MUCH WILL IT BE?

I'm expecting $500

I'm going to put my chips on somewhere between 300-400.