This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• That's gotta be ultra rare. Who would work in one place for ten years?
    In two weeks, 8 years at the lab. They keep giving me raises! Why leave?

Even if my job were to have sex, play games, and eat delicious food all day, I would still quit and go to a tropical place once enough money was saved up. That assumes the job isn't located in a tropical place. Then I would truly never leave.
  • I've had 3 different jobs in those 10 years, if that counts for anything. The raises have been decent, the benefits are most excellent. Also my 401K is not too shabby either.

Even if my job were to have sex, play games, and eat delicious food all day, I would still quit and go to a tropical place once enough money was saved up. That assumes the job isn't located in a tropical place. Then I would truly never leave.
    So would I. Haven't hit that point yet.

So would I. Haven't hit that point yet.
    Truth.
    I interned at Wegmans' corporate office, and everyone's nametag has the length of time they've been with the company. Lots of people had been with the company for 10+ years, some as long as 25-30 years.
    I interned at Wegmans' corporate office, and everyone's nametag has the length of time they've been with the company. Lots of people had been with the company for 10+ years, some as long as 25-30 years.
    Isn't Wegman's supposed to be one of the best places to work?
  • edited March 2013
    That's gotta be ultra rare. Who would work in one place for ten years?
    Isn't Wegman's supposed to be one of the best places to work?
    Yeah, they're near the top of Forbes' "Best Companies to Work For" list every year. They treat their employees well, and it's a very friendly atmosphere. I found that working for a more tech-oriented company would probably be better for both my career and my personal enjoyment, however.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Also, the more time you put in at one place, the most likely they are to take you back if you're honest with them about your plans. Sabbaticals, y'all.
  • The only job I would work at for ten years or more would be my own company. Cause then I can choose whatever job within it that I want.
  • The only job I would work at for ten years or more would be my own production studio. Cause then I can choose whatever job within it that I want.
  • edited March 2013
    There are companies I would work at for ten years when I'm older. If I was fifty, I'd totally work for Plan-It-X or Asian Man Records for 10 years.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited March 2013
    Asian Man is run by one guy out of a garage. Plan-It-X is similar. I don't think either have employees.

[Edit] Just checked, Mike Park has exactly one full-time employee for Asian Man. The dude who runs Plan-It-X apparently pays his friends part-time to assemble CDs and such and that's it. DIY punx, man.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Like everyone else on here on the government teat, I'm a long-term guy as well. About to hit 7 years, although I nearly left for that job with Blip earlier in the year.
  • Asian Man is run by one guy out of a garage. Plan-It-X is similar. I don't think either have employees.

[Edit] Just checked, Mike Park has exactly one full-time employee for Asian Man. The dude who runs Plan-It-X apparently pays his friends part-time to assemble CDs and such and that's it. DIY punx, man.
    I know, but everywhere else I could think of hasn't been cool in at least 30 years, sometimes up to 50
  • I just want a woodshop and a professorship. Tenons and tenure.
  • I wanna make things forever, because I fear if I don't let the ideas out of my skull it'll back up and my head will blow up. I'm not particularly picky about the definition of "things".
  • Self serving plug and attempt to get an audience.

A Random History of Dice: Sunday from 12:30 to 1:30 in the Tabletop Workshop room:

Who invented dice? All we know for certain is he or she lived at least 5,000 years ago and was likely bored of throwing animal bones for fun. (Like Pass the Pigs except with real pig.) For some reason, Mr. or Ms. Paleo Gamer then started using cubes with dots on them. From there it was a short step to the modern 20 sided-dice. Wait, did I say modern? Because those were actually invented by the ancient Egyptians, as was the D12 - meaning they likely also invented D&D. Find out more about everyone’s favorite gaming essential, including the development (for reasons unknown) of the three, five and seven-sided die. If you’d like to find out how to make crooked dice, if you’re curious if it’s possible for someone to talk for an hour about dice or if you’re only other choice is a Dora The Explorer marathon, then this is the panel for you!

PANELISTS:
    Constantine von Hoffman [Writer, CBSNews] (Mr. ShadowOrc)
  • Also I am bringing my complete Memoir 44. RYM: I CHALLENGE YOU to see how great this game really is... unless that challenge might in anyway be considered confrontational or maybe upset one of the rabbits in which case I withdraw it and will now go hide in the corner or maybe just hug my giant Perry the Platypus pillow and whimper.
  • I'll be working such that I won't have time for panels, but otherwise I would go.
  • Also I am bringing my complete Memoir 44. RYM: I CHALLENGE YOU to see how great this game really is... unless that challenge might in anyway be considered confrontational or maybe upset one of the rabbits in which case I withdraw it and will now go hide in the corner or maybe just hug my giant Perry the Platypus pillow and whimper.
    That's almost exactly the same game as Battlelore, which Rym does not like.
    That's almost exactly the same game as Battlelore, which Rym does not like.
    On a recent show, he said that he thought the minor variations were interesting enough to warrant trying it.
  • Memoir 44 is kinda meh, too much reliance upon drawing the proper command cards to be a meaningful wargame.
  • I've always thought that it wasn't a good wargame, but it is a very good simulation of macro tactics. The randomness was intended to recreate human unreliability in combat.
  • Is the PAX East "Practical Game Theory" the same panel as Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design ()?
  • Is the PAX East "Practical Game Theory" the same panel as Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design ()?
    No.
  • I've always thought that it wasn't a good wargame, but it is a very good simulation of macro tactics. The randomness was intended to recreate human unreliability in combat.
    A really good wargame that also involves cards, but feels like it gives you a lot more control is Combat Commander (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21050/combat-commander-europe). It's probably the most played wargame on my shelf due to it's high replayability. I recommend this much more than Memoir '44.
  • In exactly one week, I will be getting in my car to drive up to Boston. Hnnnnnnngh.

Officially time to break out the suitcase. Hmmm what games to bring?
  • The two lectures are completely, utterly different.
  • Games to bring has been decided:
    X-Wing
    Love Letter
    Ground Floor & Skyline
    Martian Dice
    King of Tokyo
    Village