This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• Games to bring: Netrunner. I could bring more, but will I need them?
  • Need? No. But if there's something you've been itching to play, can't hurt. The above list is half small games for lines and downtime. The rest are all new-ish games that I've been trying to get to the table, so might as well bring, esp for times like Thursday night when there is no library.
  • If I can get my games back from Pete's brother before PAX East i can bring Dominant Species, Castles of Burgundy, Eclipse, and probably another game I forgot.
  • I'm bringing (so far):

Netrunner
    Glory to Rome
    Bohnanza
    A deck of cards.
  • Damn, Burgundy is such a good game. Would definitely like to play that more. Have you tried it yet?
  • I enjoyed Burgundy greatly.
  • edited March 2013
    I will have Bohnanza, Jungle Speed, possibly Carcassonne, and a lot of playing cards.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I'm probably going to break out Netrunner and Tigris and Euphrates. I haven't played Tigris in an age.
  • Ugh. Still need to figure out what we're bringing.

Definitely:

Netrunner
    Ground Floor
    Skyline
    Viva Java
  • Netrunner, Eclipse.
  • The two lectures are completely, utterly different.
    Thanks, I'll go to it then :)
  • A) There is nothing wrong with card-driven war games. Paths of Glory is a great game and very sophisticated game as are conflict of heroes and twilight struggle. For me having to work around the bonuses and limitations of cards is a great way of replicating the unexpected in combat command situations.

Memoir is not as sophisticated as those but it does do a very good job of replicating the tactical level fighting within the confines of a solid game that doesn't require the degree in advanced math and logic needed for say Squad Leader.

I didn't like battlelore either. I really think the system is far too fidgety with the addition of degrees of experience among the troops and doesn't really adapt that well to pre-gunpowder warfare. Also the whole magic thing just sucks.

However, Battle Cry truly is the best tactical level game about the Civil War I have ever played.

Andrew, it is never about drawing the right cards -- it is about fitting your strategy to the cards you have.

I have played Combat Commander and like it too.

B) SWORD OF ROME!!!!!!!!!!! I truly love that game. Just let me know when you are bringing it out and I will be there.
  • Games bringing:
    Agricola
    Vegas
    Puerto Rico
    Pitch Car Mini
    Can't Stop
    Bang!
    Citadels
    Web of Power
    Battleground Fantasy Warfare
    Memoir 44
    6 Nimmt
  • ROME DEMANDS NETRUNNER!!!
  • I need to figure out a favored deck. I'm so not-experienced at netrunner.
  • On the topic of card-driven war games, some of them do have their problems (see Battlelore) but I did have a good time the few times I got to play Command & Colors: Ancients. Again, same system as BL and M'44 but I thought C&C was the most refined.
  • In exactly one week, I will be getting in my car to drive up to Boston.
    Hmmm! How are you arranging parking? I am seriously considering saying "fuck it" to my bus tickets and driving up to get the whole day in Boston on Thursday.
  • Parking in Boston is always a bad idea.
  • ROME DEMANDS NETRUNNER!!!
    this.
  • edited March 2013
    Parking in Boston is always a bad idea.
    In fact, driving in Boston may even be less advisable than driving in NYC, due to the road layout making no fucking sense.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited March 2013
    The pro move is to find a T station near where you are driving from, (Riverside for myself) park there, and just take the T in. Saves a ton of money.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • edited March 2013
    At some point, I'm getting dinner at that Mexican restaurant just a little ways from the convention center. That was the best meal I had last year. The Whiskey Priest also served admirably. Legal seafood was alright, but cost vs reward wasn't amazing.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • The pro move is to find a T station near where you are driving from, (Riverside for myself) park there, and just take the T in. Saves a ton of money.
    This. We often park in Quincy when going by automobile.
  • We used to do that for Katsucon in DC (the only city in the East with worse driving conditions than Boston). We'd drive to greenbelt, park for free, and ride the Metro downtown.
  • On the topic of card-driven war games, some of them do have their problems (see Battlelore) but I did have a good time the few times I got to play Command & Colors: Ancients. Again, same system as BL and M'44 but I thought C&C was the most refined.
    I am stuffing my car full of people and we are all splitting the ludicrous $40 per day valet parking at the hotel. We've done that for every PAX and, split that many ways, it's just worth it for the convenience and time spent at PAX rather than executing whatever other parking scheme people do.

• In fact, driving in Boston may even be less advisable than driving in NYC, due to the road layout making no fucking sense.
    Resident of Boston sez: YES.
    The pro move is to find a T station near where you are driving from, (Riverside for myself) park there, and just take the T in. Saves a ton of money.
    Resident of Boston sez: See above.

• Oh, I'm also bringing Diamond Trust of London.
  • I can bring my werewolves of millers hollow set if people want extra complicated mafia clones. Barely takes up any space. Someone should bring a jenga set just because.
  • D'OH!!! He's bringing Glory to Rome, not Sword of Rome. Well then I'm bringing Sword of Rome. It's a better game.

Also the best inexpensive seafood restaurant in Boston is near the Convention Center and we locals hate to tell outsiders about it but since you are all my best friends I will share with you:
    No Name Restaurant 15 Fish Pier St W
    http://nonamerestaurant.com/
  • edited March 2013
    Limited on space because I'm only bringing my go-bag, but here's what I'll probably have:

Netrunner
    CaH (w/ First Expansion)
    Hive Carbon

Thinking about bringing Bananagrams or a dice-based game. Cthulhu Dice or King of Tokyo?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on