This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hurricane Sandy

Comments

• There's one track on weather.com that has it going right over my head and then looping back for more. >_>

Also it seems someone (not me) didn't quite close the fridge door last night and everything has preemptively perished. <_< Not that there was that much to perish, but I would have liked to eat the cheese.
  • I filled up two fuel cans this morning and bought literally the last loaf of bread and last D batteries at Stop & Shop. I was surprised there's no line for gas yet.
  • Do you have a video camera? If "I would have liked to eat the cheese" doesn't become the viral hit song of this storm, I think we'd all be disappointed.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOM
  • You know, maybe God has gotten impatient and just wants to put a stop to Halloween once and for all...
  • Boy, does the local news love weather like this.
  • Boy, does the local news love weather like this.
    The comments on my local stations' facebook feeds make me weep for humanity.
  • edited October 2012
    Had to do some errands today. Lots of people buying a ton of shit they don't need.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I don't even...
  • This storm is incredibly massive. It's gonna be a big deal, I think.

Wife is already getting super nervous. We've got fuel, firewood, batteries, water, frozen and canned/dry food. I can even run the refrigerator on the generator although that'd be problematic. Feeling pretty prepared.

Wife started rambling on and on about how we need to eat everything in the chest freezer tomorrow and when I told her she was hysterical she got mad and went to bed. *sigh*
  • This storm is incredibly massive. It's gonna be a big deal, I think.

Wife is already getting super nervous. We've got fuel, firewood, batteries, water, frozen and canned/dry food. I can even run the refrigerator on the generator although that'd be problematic. Feeling pretty prepared.

Wife started rambling on and on about how we need to eat everything in the chest freezer tomorrow and when I told her she was hysterical she got mad and went to bed. *sigh*
    Have her start with the chocolate ice cream. Once she finishes that, she'll no longer care about the rest.

• I was perfectly reasonable. I just told Pete we needed to turn the frozen beef chuck into shelf stable sausage. Delicious shelf stable sausage.
  • edited October 2012
    I was perfectly reasonable. I just told Pete we needed to turn the frozen beef chuck into shelf stable sausage. Delicious shelf stable sausage.
    Is it wrong for me to be extremely interested in eating your man's sausage?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • In NYC for my vacation and I've got no idea what to expect. I was meant to meet my Dad tomorrow and hang with him but his flight and all his alternatives have been cancelled. Fuck! I'm also switching hotels tomorrow.

Beyond a few of the folks I've met at Burning Con, I know no one. I'm not sure just how safe I'll be as I've never seen weather like a hurricane before.
  • In NYC for my vacation and I've got no idea what to expect. I was meant to meet my Dad tomorrow and hang with him but his flight and all his alternatives have been cancelled. Fuck! I'm also switching hotels tomorrow.

Beyond a few of the folks I've met at Burning Con, I know no one. I'm not sure just how safe I'll be as I've never seen weather like a hurricane before.
    A truly unique vacation! A rare experience! Go surfing!
  • The MTA is shutting down at 7 PM today. Fuck.
  • Went out and bought a large tarp and some poultry staples to cover the south side of the house where water tends to bleed through the log wall during high winds... but I'm too afraid of heights to get up on the ladder and secure it. So.. oh well.
  • A page I like on Facebook styled after an offensive 1SGT just posted:

"Buckle your chin straps boys and girls. Sandy's comin' in hot.

(And by "buckle your chin straps" I mean have a f*cking plan and do the right f*cking thing. I don't even want to think about what manner of heathenry some of you thought of when you read that... You sick f*cks.)"
  • You guys are cute. :P
  • I'm still waiting for my boss to tell us not to come in tomorrow. Nobody has said anything yet, but the combination of floods in my neighborhood (Zone B) and the lack of transportation doesn't bode well.
  • My management has never and will never tell us not to come in. They use the fact that we work in a hospital, despite the fact that we're non-essential, non-clinical staff, to claim that we must always be at work no matter what. The hospital refuses to have separate inclement weather policies for differing roles. We've been threatened with our jobs in the past and I've almost gotten myself killed trying to get in during at least one white-out blizzard.
  • My management has never and will never tell us not to come in. They use the fact that we work in a hospital, despite the fact that we're non-essential, non-clinical staff, to claim that we must always be at work no matter what. The hospital refuses to have separate inclement weather policies for differing roles. We've been threatened with our jobs in the past and I've almost gotten myself killed trying to get in during at least one white-out blizzard.
    How can a hospital have such little regard for the safety of their staff?
  • Management at my place is extremely dysfunctional. I only stay there because 99% of the time, it meets my needs in terms of hours, pay, and mental share. I have no ambition with regards to my day job. :-)
  • Management at my place is extremely dysfunctional. I only stay there because 99% of the time, it meets my needs in terms of hours, pay, and mental share. I have no ambition with regards to my day job. :-)
    Yeah but telling non-essential personnel (I'll go out on a limb and say that's anyone who is not medical staff) they have to be at work come hell or high water seems like the quickest way to get your ass sued off if someone does in fact lose life or limb during a disaster trying to come to work.
  • I'm gonna go out later and fill my gas tank. Then I'm becoming a shut in until this shit blows over.
  • edited October 2012
    So, the office manager IM'd me saying she'd get in touch with the bosses (who are in L.A. and San Francisco this week, respectively) and see if we have to come in tomorrow. Since maybe 90% of my coworkers use the subway, I'm pretty sure that nobody's going to make it to work anyway.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Am I the only one with no worries about this?
  • I'm not that worried, but I'm also very cynical.