This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How much would you pay for this forum?

Comments

• What issues are there other than the broken search and signups? I mean we've lived with shitty search for this long.
  • /r/frontrowcrew
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but this seems to be a not-terrible idea in some respects. We're already a circlejerk.

• /r/frontrowcrew
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but this seems to be a not-terrible idea in some respects. We're already a circlejerk.

We are a clean circlejerk with good hygiene. Do you really want to change that?

• What's interesting is how much god damned google juice you guys have generated over the years. This forum is a force of nature in terms of influencing Google on some things.
  • /r/frontrowcrew

I like it dirty.
  • edited October 2013
    What's interesting is how much god damned google juice you guys have generated over the years. This forum is a force of nature in terms of influencing Google on some things.
    Really? Interesting.
    /r/frontrowcrew

I like it dirty.

Post edited by Banta on
  • (200 * 12)/ (subscribers) = ?
  • Can all of the content on the current forum be migrated to the hosted Vanilla forum? If yes, I say we go with that and have subscriptions/paypal donations/amazone payment bhutan.

We really only need 20 people to donate $10/month to pay for it completely.
  • We've had about 150 unique registered users visit the forum in the past week. 200 in the past month. That does not count lurkers who are not registered. It does not count those people that come back once every few months.
  • Can all of the content on the current forum be migrated to the hosted Vanilla forum? If yes, I say we go with that and have subscriptions/paypal donations/amazone payment bhutan.

We really only need 20 people to donate $10/month to pay for it completely.
    Yes, they will migrate all the things.
  • I thought of another option. What if we locked this forum in place for all eternity and started a new blank one at frontrowcrew.com/forum instead?
    Different hosting? I don't see how this solves it. If it does, though, I'm all for it. Not the first time we've migrated from a forum.

Hey, remember Planet Zebes? Good times.

• edited October 2013
    Yes, they will migrate all the things.
    And I assume we can switch forum.frontrowcrew.com over to the new system while retaining all the permalinks (thus keeping our search engines optimized)?

I say do it.

EDIT: In fact, I'll publicly state right now that, for at least the next year, I'll put in $20/month.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • What's interesting is how much god damned google juice you guys have generated over the years. This forum is a force of nature in terms of influencing Google on some things.
    In my experience, most moderately sized forums are like this. I think part of it is that you tend to search things phrased how you've seen them. I find lots of my other forums come up in my Google searches, although you have to remember that Google does some per-user tailoring, too.
  • Are those lurkers or bots? I know my forum always shows around 50 to 100 'lurkers' but they are actually search bots.
  • Are those lurkers or bots? I know my forum always shows around 50 to 100 'lurkers' but they are actually search bots.
    I think I completely explained the number of users.
  • Just an idea.

On the website, have a donation pot that everyone can see, if the pot is empty, someone can put in X amount.

Once the pot is full, donations can stop being made, till next month when there's an empty pot again.

Or if one pot fills up really quickly, just show an empty pot next to the full one, to go towards the following months bill.

At least then, if the funding is coming from the forum users, we can see if to worry about donating or not since not everyone can if they want to, or they really can but it's not necessary.

If donations are slow, then have a shaky pot animation, "donate please".

Contributors need no incentive other than they want to keep this forum alive and well. New users shouldn't feel pressured into donating. So hiding the pot completely for newbies is a thing to consider.
  • I negotiated a deal with Vanilla over the phone. We will decide if we will go with it. Waiting for deal in writing.
  • 4) Use the open source option + a google search box?

• If donations are slow, then have a shaky pot animation, "donate please".

Let the advise not fall victim to a bad trend on angel fire.
  • I negotiated a deal with Vanilla over the phone. We will decide if we will go with it. Waiting for deal in writing.
    Will that deal include ads on the podcast for Vanilla forums?

Will that deal include ads on the podcast for Vanilla forums?

No, never.
  • Ad blocker ftw
  • Ad blocker ftw
    I don't think you understand how Ad Blocker or podcasts work...
  • How about this? Scott, if you can negotiate a decent deal, I will straight up pay for the Vanilla hosting myself. No joke.
  • Ad blocker ftw
    I don't think you understand how Ad Blocker or podcasts work...
    You can manually select what you block.
  • I've got money. I'll throw at least $5 a month your way to pay for the deal, possibly more. This forum is worth at least that much to me.
  • edited October 2013
    How about this? Scott, if you can negotiate a decent deal, I will straight up pay for the Vanilla hosting myself. No joke.
    I negotiated it back to the old price. It's still $150 a month. But I also negotiated to get us the not-crap search, which is typically only an enterprise feature, and also free migration assistance, so we can keep all our data.

If they would offer me a truly decent deal, I would have paid for it myself.

I'm thinking we might just go through with it and slap a donation button on the sidebar.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Seriously. I've been messing with this free trial. The upgraded Vanilla is pretty much everything you guys want. It even has this groups feature that we didn't even know we wanted, but you guys definitely would use the fuck out of it.

http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/getting-started-with-vanillas-groups/
  • It's too large already. One of the things I like most here is that the low number of actives keeps the pace of conversations followable.
    Haha, what. My forum gets like 20 posts a day.

• It's too large already. One of the things I like most here is that the low number of actives keeps the pace of conversations followable.
    Haha, what. My forum gets like 20 posts a day.

Would you consider going in with us on this? =P (Not 100% joking).