This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How much would you pay for this forum?

Comments

• This is phase one of some bigger changes for GeekNights in the coming months.

Shit talking in 5,4,3,2,..

I would kick in £5 a month or so but dependent on what I'd get. ie exclusive content and that junk or a T-shirt.
  • Potential reward for chipping in: membership in the second row crew. SRC-only subforum, SRC CS:GO tourneys, SRC grand prix part deux?
    Project ST
    Rym will surely deliver, let's just wait.
  • Rewards; we will be fed scraps from the mighty Scrym table, Rym grows a mustash, Scott grows a mustash.
  • I want a messenger bag and the French press coffee mug.
  • I would put down some mad monies for a messenger bag if (I had any and) it featured a forum in-joke. Maybe a negapreche reference.
  • Wahm Taday msger bags go!
  • Wahm Taday msger bags go!
    Wahm Today bathing suit. Woman! wool hats.
  • How long should we expect the forum to be down for? Maybe this'll get us to actually use the FRCF IRC.
  • Last I checked, the IRC wasn't all that dead. I've been in there a fair number of times, and there's always been someone else in there, and that someone else has always included Bronzdragon.

Haven't logged on in a few months, though.
  • How long should we expect the forum to be down for? Maybe this'll get us to actually use the FRCF IRC.
    Less than 24 hours I hope.
  • How much money would I have to pay to make sure nobody else gets access to any members only area or any exclusive content?
  • How much money would I have to pay to make sure nobody else gets access to any members only area or any exclusive content?
    Sounds like a bidding war is in order?
  • I'm just seriously unimpressed by the idea of people paying for restricted content or features. Paying for swag is fine, but every other forum I've been on with different tiers of participation really sucks. In groups and out groups don't have any benefits. I'd much rather everyone be happy to pay and let everyone else, even those who don't pay, share the good stuff. If you don't want others to benefit, fuck you.
  • Well, the only "member's only" area on the forum at all is actually just a private topic for the original FRC and some associated friends. It's used almost exclusively to plan events and has basically no other conversation. ;^)

One of the best aspects of this forum is that, with the exception of that one private area, it's fully accessibly to everyone, even people without accounts. I don't really want to change that.
  • I don't mind that you have a private bit of the forum for friends. That's a lot different from people paying to be in an exclusive part of the forum.
  • I've been on another forum (which coincidentally also ran Vanilla) where a private for-friends forum grew and grew and eventually killed the whole thing when the community got bisected and there was loads of resentment.

So, that dynamic obviously doesn't exist here right now, but it's another way that sort of thing can go.
  • I have private areas on my forum but none of them are paid to enter. Due to the nature of Pokemon players (and their ages) I have a separate area for confirmed adults with less restrictions to talk about subjects of a more adult nature. I also have a ladies only area that is accessible only by women (not even I have access).

All of these areas have one or two people in charge of the group and anyone can apply to join the group. Within these areas of the forum the discussion is 99% not Pokemon. Well, there is one thread in the adult forum that is Pokemon related but the discussion is not kid friendly.

What is interesting is that since the forum has been around for over seven years some of the people who started out as kid members are now in college. Some of those folks have commented about how embarrassed they are to see what they wrote seven years ago!
  • Thought of some reward ideas for people who contribute moneys.

Running tabletop RPG for you, Google Hangout or at convention.
    Teaching how to play, or how to win, at a game of your choice (that we know).
    Playing a co-op video game with you.
    You choose GeekNights episode topic (Monday/Thursday please)
    You choose book club book, anime to watch, etc.
    Help you with some programming or technology of some kind (very expensive).
    Build a computer for you on Newegg (also expensive).

Can anyone think of anything along these lines? If Rym or I were your dancing monkeys, what dance would you make us do that we would willingly do?
  • These are all very good...So hard to choose.
  • Win a date with (Insert)!
  • Those actually sound pretty good. Would we get to choose between Rym or Scott for the chosen reward? I can think of a few things that would be a better bargain if one performed the task but much hilarity would ensue if the other.
  • Hmmm.. none of these reward ideas work well with me, I could get them all without contributing :-p If I contribute money would you come and clean my house before a party? :-p
  • Hmmm.. none of these reward ideas work well with me, I could get them all without contributing :-p If I contribute money would you come and clean my house before a party? :-p
    Yes, but it would be cheaper to hire an actual maid service or use taskrabbit.
  • I think we've found the one way to get Scott to talk politics on Geeknights.
    Yes, but it would be cheaper to hire an actual maid service or use taskrabbit.
    Cheaper however if you get Scott to wear a maid outfit whilst cleaning. Priceless.
  • Could teach me how to win Hacienda? Right now?
  • Could teach me how to win Hacienda? Right now?
    Its not like there is a geeknight episode on this game or anything...
  • You're assuming people listen to the show!?
    Actually, I do remember listening to the Hacienda episode, just not any content thereof...
  • I haven't played it in so long, I would probably need to listen to that episode to remember.
  • edited October 2013
    You choose GeekNights episode topic (Monday/Thursday please)
    Zombies Part 3.

I'm joking, of course.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on