This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2010 Investment Shenanigans

edited January 2010 in Video Games
You have $100,000 and one year to make as much cash as you can in the markets.

Game ID: FRC2010
Password: ohmans
Period: 1/13/2010 - 1/13/2011

http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/GameOverview.aspx?id=FRC2010

This game uses real market conditions to simulate investing in the markets. JOIN TODAY.

Comments

• Can I trade in bonds, futures, etc, or is this strictly stocks? Can I count my dividends as part of my earnings?
  • I'm fairly certain that it's as open as the real market is, so stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and the like should all be open to invest in - you just have to find them first.
  • I'm in, for shits and giggles.
  • We did this in high school Economics class.
  • I did this in 7th grade, and I won.
  • I am unable to participate due to the nature of my work.
  • Quite tempting, but I am trying hard to have less clutter in my life.
  • I find it funny that Tanhauser bought stock in the company I work for.
  • Why couldn't we start this yesterday? I would have made the captain obvious baidu purchase.

My plan is to wait for the next captain obvious, and go all in on it.
  • edited January 2010
    Finally I can practice my evil on the whole of the FRC forum before the world!

And for my aftermarket advice today: Kraft is not a good choice, but their target is a different matter.....
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I'm Terminus Grover.
  • edited January 2010
    The Day's trading is closed, and it's time to update the non-players on the game.

Tenhauser leapt into the lead, laying his bets on a diverse Tech portfolio, with only one stock - Google - taking a loss, driving his net worth up to $101,093.40, a 1.09% return on his investments.
    Cremlain is trailing him, with a Somewhat less broad portfolio, holding only 200 shares in a Drug development Corporation, which made a surprising two dollar jump during the day, pushing his net worth up to $100,086.05
    In third is Churba - A Suprise leap from the back, being at a disadvantage with time-zones and American market savvy, Taking the middle ground between Cremlain and Tenhauser in terms of portfolio diversification, Taking part in only three Corporations ranging from Internet technology to Nuclear Power, but still making a Gain in net worth to the tune of $100,046.14, with only one of his corporations making a loss, Akamai Technologies, with a twelve cent drop at the close of trading.

Three players - lackofcheese, Terminus Grover, and Apreche are playing cautiously, making no move on the first day, purchasing no assets, but keeping their initial $100,000 in capital.
    At the Back of the leaderboard, but only barely, are VHDblood and ElJoe, Making slight losses on McDonalds and Google Respectively.

The Full Leaderboard
    Current Rank | Nickname | Net Worth | Today's Return
    1. Tenhauser | $101,093.40 | +1.09%
    2. Cremlian | $100,086.05 | +0.09%
    3. Churba | $100,046.14 | +0.05%
    4. lackofcheese | $100,000.00 | +0.00%
    5. Terminus Grover | $100,000.00 | +0.00%
    6. Apreche | $100,000.00 | +0.00%
    7. Vhdblood | $99,957.49 | -0.04%
    8. ElJoe0 | $99,956.90 | -0.04%
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Awesome recap Churba! :D
  • Awesome recap Churba! :D
    If only my market skills were as impressive, I only made forty-six bucks. Let's just hope I can keep this up for the next year >.>
  • But keep in mind that all of my stock was bought at market closing, and when we re-open later today I expect a big jump in my investments in Real Networks and Cadburys
  • edited January 2010
    But keep in mind that all of my stock was bought at market closing, and when we re-open later today I expect a big jump in my investments in Real Networks and Cadburys
    I can't really summarize the future, or else I'd be doing a LOT better - I'm at a time Zone disadvantage, so I can't do things like Buy a stock on a daily low, and sell it for a profit, or anything like that - I can only analyze past results and trends, and try to figure out what's going to happen in the future. I actually Did BETTER than I expected at this point - I didn't expect Exelon to do nearly as well, nor did I expect Akamai to drop like it did, rather than gain, it was a risky one to begin with, as it's starting to find competition with amazon, though, Amazon currently lacks the infrastructure to seriously compete, and Akamai are looking at buying out a smaller company to increase their own, so I'll just have to see how that one goes.

Edit- Also, it should be interesting to see how the google china news will continue to effect it's stock price, though I think you're right, Cadbury will take a leap.

Also, It shits me severely the way that site works, it tries to make me look at one thing at a time, all the time, unless it's stock tickers.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You get used to it, or, at least, indifferent to it.
  • I should have invested all my money in my company...
  • I took some wild gambles based on very cursory glances at a graph or two. I'm pretty sure they won't collapse overnight, though.
  • This game is going to be a year long. No rush.
  • edited January 2010
    You get used to it, or, at least, indifferent to it.
    I already am, kinda - I'll propably never get used to the whole "Middle click a bunch of stuff, realise I have 5 tabs that say Javascript-somethingorother, grunt in annoyance" but it's just getting less annoying than "Urgh, stupid site. Keep going."
    I should have invested all my money in my company...
    Dude, You would have insane capital if you'd have done that.
    I took some wild gambles based on very cursory glances at a graph or two. I'm pretty sure they won't collapse overnight, though.
    I did a bunch of research and analysis of trends, upcoming news and developments, expert recomendations, and then pretty much took a few wild guesses anyway. I'm pretty sure that after the first month or two, I'll have a hard time getting past middle or high-bottom of the table.
    This game is going to be a year long. No rush.
    My prediction - Scott forgets about the game, Never buys a single share, lingers at the bottom of the table, and loses.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My prediction - Scott forgets about the game, Never buys a single share, lingers at the bottom of the table, Koi pond industry bubble pops dragging world economy into epic fail, all investments drop to zero, and loses wins.
    FTFY
  • Perhaps I have a fundamental lack of understanding here, but how did Tenhauser manage to make money from a stock drop in a single day of trading? Does not compute. Does not compute.
  • edited January 2010
    Perhaps I have a fundamental lack of understanding here, but how did Tenhauser manage to make money from a stock drop in a single day of trading? Does not compute. Does not compute.
    I suspect that it took a bump between when he bought it, and when trading closed. It dropped to $573.90 during the day, but it closed at $587.09, for example - if you bought at the low or near to it, you still closed with a gain.

Trading opens in six minutes, right as I'm about to go to bed, goddamnit.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Perhaps I have a fundamental lack of understanding here, but how did Tenhauser manage to make money from a stock drop in a single day of trading? Does not compute. Does not compute.
    Google had a fairly decent bump after I bought it, but fell a little after that bump, though not enough to the point where I actually lost money yet.
    This game is going to be a year long. No rush.
    My prediction - Scott forgets about the game, Never buys a single share, lingers at the bottom of the table, and loses.
    Shorts gains are nice, but the long haul is where it's really at. Getting stocks in a company that could see an upswing over the course of a few months or more, and just leaving them alone, is always a good idea. Just make sure to check in at the end of every fiscal quarter to see how they are doing, and to adjust accordingly.
  • Timo's all in with Apple, and I'm all in with Intel. Interesting.
  • I of course bought a crap ton more of my drug company only to see it lose two dollars :-(
  • edited January 2010
    schezar is doing well with Google, Microsoft, and Sony. Isn't that Rym?
    Based on the performance, it probably is. It's not fair, he knows what comes before!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Can I jump in late?
  • Of course, and may suggest a purchase of Real Networks (RNWK) and Intel (INTC) stock for you?