This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2010. East Coast. Be there.

Comments

• Well I see from Google Maps it gives 3 suggested routes. Any recommendations?

Massechusettes 1A S

I 90 W

I-90 W and MA-9 W
  • Well I see from Google Maps it gives 3 suggested routes. Any recommendations?

Massechusettes 1A S
    I 90 W
    I-90 W and MA-9 W
    Based on the map, I would pick #2, but I know little about Bostonian driving.
  • Is anyone adverse to the idea of making this meet-up idea a Wave topic?
  • From the Enforcers forums: PAX Annotated Map of the Hynes and surrounding area. Extremely handy.
  • The T is the least on-time train in the country. Can't find the article I got that from, but I remember reading it! It does work, and it's better than no train at all, but I'm not riding it unless I have to.
    The joke around here is that the T is the thing you take if you want to be exactly five minutes late for everything.
    Well I see from Google Maps it gives 3 suggested routes. Any recommendations?

Massechusettes 1A S
    I 90 W
    I-90 W and MA-9 W
    Based on the map, I would pick #2, but I know little about Bostonian driving.
    90 is the Mass Turnpike, so you're going to run in to tolls. I don't go to the airport that often, so I can't help you more than that.

((Also, protip: Saying things like I-90 or MA-9 will get you made fun of. It's Route 90, Route 9, Route 1A, etc.))
  • Here's a copy-and-paste of my guide that I made for the Enforcers. Figured I'd share it with you, as this is probably a first trip to Boston for more than a few of you:

Here's a quick guide to Boston, from a local. I know a lot of people are coming in from out of town, or don't make it in often enough to know it like the back of their hands. So, I'm gonna write up this quick guide. I'm going to focus on the Back Bay (the area where the con is being held), but if anyone wants to know where the more touristy things are anywhere else, feel free to ask.

Culture guide:

* Don't ask anyone to say "Park the car at harvard yard". Nobody talks like that anymore.
    * If you're at a bar, and sports come up, the good teams are the New England Patriots, the Boston Bruins, and the Boston Red Sox. Bad teams are anything from New York. Everything else you'll get a ribbing for, but no major danger. Seriously, there have been bar fights between Yankees fans and Red Sox fans. Don't even joke about it.
    * Seriously don't ask anyone to say "Park the car in harvard yard."
    * You might get some weird looks if you ask for where the "subway" is, and may get directed to a sandwich shop instead of a below-ground light rail system. Ask where the "T" is and you'll get a better answer.
    * If you get lost or confused, or just want to know where something is, ask someone. Bostoners love helping people from out of town. We're really proud of Boston and will give you awesome restaurant recs and all sorts of stuff if you even look a bit confused. Yelp is also pretty handy.

Foods:

* Trident Cafe: A pretty decent little cafe on Newburry street. Nice breakfast, decent all-day fair. Also has a nice book and magazine selection. A decent quiet place to get away from all those people that are everywhere.
    * The Prudential Center Food Court: this is going to be CRAZY. PACKED. because it's five minutes from the convention center. If you're insane or suicidal enough to go here, though, there's a Panda Express, a decent bakery, a Qdoba, a Pizzaria Regina, a chowder place, a burger place, and a japanese food place. Not terribly expensive, either.
    * Steve's: This place is just between Newburry street and Boylston (the street that you're looking at if you walk out the street entrance to the Hynes). Go down to the fire station on Boylston and walk down the little side street there. Decent, tasty greekish food at not to terrible prices.
    * Men Tei: Right next to Steve's. Ramen, Japanese curry, that kind of stuff. Very small, but very good.
    * Wagamama's: Right across the hall from the Pru Food Court. Similar food to Men Tei, but closer and with a liquor license. The Sake there is pretty decent.
    * Emack and Bolio's: Probably the best ice cream in town. On Newburry, a little ways down. If you're facing with your back to the convention center, go to Newburry then go right. It's a little hole-in-the-wall type place, but so. freaking. good.

Bars:
    The only bar I've really heard anything good about in the area is the Pour House, right across boylston from the Pru. You can see it from some of the outside windows in the Hynes. I've never been on a pub crawl, so I wouldn't know if it lives up to the hype. I'll ask some friends (goons, but those count as friends, right?) and get back to you guys on this one.

Pour House is nice, but busy. Whiskeys is okay. Bukowski's Tavern is fun, but it's small.

I will forever love the Pour House because once I ordered a drink after 1am and they gave me a free hamburger.

The Other Side Cafe has a good microbrew beer menu. They recently changed their wine menu though and it blows now. They were also doing $4 drafts but I'm not sure how long that is lasting.

To follow on what Buffer was saying about expanding out: A shortish walk away from Hynes and around scary rape drug park (I lived on Park Drive for years and never learned the name) there is Cambridge, 1 and Church of Boston. Church is alright for a beer although it was better when it was the Linwood. Cambridge, 1 is good for some yuppie pizza and they have some good beer on draft.

Pour House has super home fries, which are awesome. One thing you should include is Cigar Masters on Boylston. It has an okish beer list, nothing special, but you can smoke there(with a Tobacco purchase).

Top of the Hub isn't horrifically unreasonable, and you get the free view from the Pru with your drinks. Summer Shack isn't a bar, but it's good seafood if you want to avoid Legal for some reason.

It's actually next to impossible to go wrong when it comes to bars serving beer in this city. Outside a few sports bars they all have decentish selections. Might want to expand out a bit. There's a ton of stuff within 10 blocks of Hynes.

Also, Bukowski's will be fairly hostile if it starts getting flooded with con goers. We're talking about a place that does Anti-Valentines day and which gives you a dollar at the door(reverse cover) and a shot of PBR for new years.
    General weird/cool stuff:

* Newburry Comics: A neat little music/comic/video/nicknack store. Nearish to Mass Ave.
    * CondomWorld: If you're bored, it's a weird little place that's exactly what you think it is.
  • 90 is the Mass Turnpike, so you're going to run in to tolls. I don't go to the airport that often, so I can't help you more than that.
    So first one is probably my best bet. Thanks!
  • * CondomWorld: If you're bored, it's a weird little place that's exactly what you think it is.
    WHAT.

I don't even think I have to say that this will be on my agenda.
  • I don't even think I have to say that this will be on my agenda.
    I will go with you if you want a buddy!
    I think I might have to join, too....
    Absolutely! You're all day shifts, right?
    I am. Lyddi isn't working PAX, so anytime after 3!
  • Sweet. We will do a little field trip. Have to see when the store is open, since their website is kind of shit.
  • Newburry Comics: A neat little music/comic/video/nicknack store. Nearish to Mass Ave.
    Being a punk kid, I used to shop at Hot Topic for knicknacks. After I found this store, I saw the light. I'm still pissed that there isn't one closer to my town.
    If anyone likes discount DVDs or CDs, they tend to have 'lightning sales' from time to time that last a day and typically slash prices by a good amount.
    And stop in if you're in the area April 17th for Record Store Day, they give out the best free shit.
    I am. Lyddi isn't working PAX, so anytime after 3!
    I want to go too! I'm free all day till about 8:30.
  • OK, so brewery tour and then CondomWorld tour? Or do the ladies want to have lady time? Us dudes can always go to a bar and get liquored up.

I can go both ways.
  • I have no problem with guys coming along, but of course the entire Female Conspiracy has the final say here. It'll probably be an afternoon or late night thing, depending on hours of operation and everyone's schedules.
  • Fine with me the more the merrier.
  • Well, since I can't go to a bar, CondomWorld sounds like a good idea.
  • Looks like we're going to CondomWorld.
  • Looks like we're going to CondomWorld.
    Now that's a level I want to see in Super Mario Galaxy three.
  • Just a warning: They do check ID. And because they sell "water pipes", don't make drug jokes. :3
  • WOOT!!! I think we should get ice cream before going to Condom World!

Maybe after an earlier dinner Friday? After the tour, We should check out the con, and Ro works till 3.
  • Oh god. I want in on this CondomWorld trip!
  • WOOT!!! I think we should get ice cream before going to Condom World!

Maybe after an earlier dinner Friday? After the tour, We should check out the con, and Ro works till 3.
    PERFECT!
  • edited March 2010
    Meet up at 4, head to dinner at 4:30 ish, hit up the shop, come back to the con by 7/8? There's a panel I'd like to hit at 7, but it's totally optional.

Alternatively, we could do the shop first and get dinner afterward if necessary. However, I am thinking an earlier dinner will help us avoid crowds and long waits. We can always snack later in the evening.

Who knows a good place to meet?
    Post edited by Nuri on

• Who knows a good place to meet?
    This guy. There's a Barns and Noble with a cafe that opens right into the hallway down the Hunnington Arcade (That'll make more sense when you actually see how the Pru is laid out). It's pretty easy to stand out there, and the early birds can drink some coffee.
    My enforcer shift friday doesn't start till 9, so I can hang out too.
  • My enforcer shift starts at 9 pm.
  • There's a Barns and Noble with a cafe that opens right into the hallway down the Hunnington Arcade
    Okay then! Let's say meet up at the BN cafe between 4 and 4:30. We can decide what order to do what once we're there. Anyone who wants to come but can't make it until after 4:30, let me (or someone else) know and we'll get you the contact info to meet up with us.