This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I got to my hotel at 5am this morning, which meant I slept a way into the afternoon. I decided to do the done thing in India, and hire a tuktuk and driver. I spent four hours riding around Cochin, mainly the Fort Kochi part, looking at old stuff and taking photos. So far I'm really enjoying India, and I can see myself coming back to this part of the world for an extended holiday, not just a few days as part of a work trip.

Tomorrow I'll continue with the Indian cliches and go to an elephant training center. I hope I'll be able to wash some baby elephants in a river, and also take an elephant ride.

(I love my job.)
  • and also take an elephant ride.
    Must... resist... posting luke's ride pic again....

Oh well:
  • Found my wayward pin protector! Warranty-covered motherboard replacement, here I come!
  • I am almost moved into my new apartment! All of my furniture is here, and I'm sleeping here now. I just need to move kitchen stuff (pots and pans, dishes, food) and bathroom stuff (curtain, toiletries. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll be all moved in. So much space I have now!
  • An old friend and I just made plans to go to a British expatriate pub for the first British World Cup game this year. Nothing says friendship like shepherd's pie, the roaring of a huge percentage of Chicago's British expats, and loud soccer chants.

I can't wait for the Cup.
  • An old friend and I just made plans to go to a British expatriate pub for the first British World Cup game this year. Nothing says friendship like shepherd's pie, the roaring of a huge percentage of Chicago's British expats, and loud soccer chants.

I can't wait for the Cup.
    Although it will be only the English supporting England in the World Cup, the rest of the British Expats will be supporting the team we are playing because they are too shit to get to the world cup.
  • Although it will be only the English supporting England in the World Cup, the rest of the British Expats will be supporting the team we are playing because they are too shit to get to the world cup.
    I didn't understand that at all.
  • edited March 2010
    Although it will be only the English supporting England in the World Cup, the rest of the British Expats will be supporting the team we are playing because they are too shit to get to the world cup.
    Yeah, I didn't get it either. I am personally supporting Brazil, Portugal, USA, and Spain:P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I didn't get it either. I am personally supporting Brazil, Portugal, USA, and Spain:P
    I think it's the English will support England, but expats will support whomever they play against. Maybe? I'll be supporting Denmark, and maybe USA a little, if I get to see any of it.
    Post edited by Shiam on
  • I think it's the English will support England, but expats will support whomever they play against. Maybe?
    My friends would all disagree.

I'm supporting the US and Spain.
  • After a week of trying to punch my way through a mental block, I finally beat it, and cracked out a short song in about five minutes.

Now I just have to get My housemate and Neb to sort out some guitar riffs that fit, and get LDB to get a good drumline, and we're good to go.

The only problem is convincing what is ostensibly a metal band to help me record what is probably closest to a punk song...
  • So, who has two thumbs and just purchased Katamari Damacy from a Zooey Deschanel lookalike with a triforce tattoo in a Transformers tee?

This guy.
  • So, who has two thumbs and just purchased Katamari Damacy from a Zooey Deschanel lookalike with a triforce tattoo in a Transformers tee?

This guy.
    Did you get her number? If so, double booh yah.
  • Did you get her number? If so, double booh yah.
    She works at that GS; I will be going back. On the downside, we're on a college campus. It's very possible that she's a grad student, has a boyfriend, or is otherwise uninterested in me. And she's definitely not a freshman.
  • 1. Possibly just aced a physics test that I was TOTALLY unprepared for, including bringing the wrong cheat sheet-handout that I was allowed to use.

2. Am now in a relationship that I've been vying for over the past few months. Ahhhhhh.
  • 2. Am now in a relationship that I've been vying for over the past few months. Ahhhhhh.
    Don't you just love when that happens?
  • 2. Am now in a relationship that I've been vying for over the past few months. Ahhhhhh.
    Don't you just love when that happens?
    Oh, do I ever. :) Anything like this in the past has just ended in flames for me, before it even began. A nice breath of fresh air, I say.
  • Holy week in a Catholic country = Long weekend!
  • Added booyah to my last one - my housemate has agreed to loan me his band to record. shweet.
  • 1. Possibly just aced a physics test that I was TOTALLY unprepared for, including bringing the wrong cheat sheet-handout that I was allowed to use.

2. Am now in a relationship that I've been vying for over the past few months. Ahhhhhh.
    3. Pulled a fairly spectacular April Fool on my Facebook friends, by convincing them that I was in a relationship with the person referred to in #2 of the above quote. She was in on the joke, and it was great.
  • My friend just informed me that Bill Nye is speaking at Occidental College next Saturday. I'm so going.
  • My friend just informed me that Bill Nye is speaking at Occidental College next Saturday. I'm so going.
    I heard that guy's an asshole in person. Report back.
    I heard that guy's an asshole in person. Report back.
    I've heard the same; please do.
  • edited April 2010
    Y'know, I've heard the same thing, but never from anyone who had a firsthand experience. And the one person I know who has met him said he was very polite.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I heard that guy's an asshole in person.
    He came to RIT a few years before I got here. Upperclassmen I've spoken with have confirmed that he's an asshole. Definitely report back.
  • I heard that guy's an asshole in person.
    Ah. That probably means he's a real scientist.
  • Y'know, I've heard the same thing, but never from anyone who had a firsthand experience. And the one person I know who has met him said he was very polite.
    Firsthand experience: My 7th grade science teacher used to work with him at the Pacific Science Center (in lovely Seattle). She confirmed that he is, indeed, an asshole, though she didn't use those words around us 12 year olds.
  • I still want to go see him talk.
  • Has anyone been more specific than "he's an asshole"? I'm curious what kind of behavior this is, exactly. I suspect that a lot of famous people are accused of being assholes just for not being super friendly to absolute strangers -- something no "normal" person would be accused of being an asshole for doing.
  • edited April 2010
    Has anyone been more specific than "he's an asshole"? I'm curious what kind of behavior this is, exactly. I suspect that a lot of famous people are accused of being assholes just for not being super friendly to absolute strangers -- something no "normal" person would be accused of being an asshole for doing.
    Exactly. I think the same, however, often goes for people claiming a famous person to be "super nice" when all they displayed was a basic politeness. Something about celebrities makes people want to tag them in a very black-and-white way.

Besides, I really don't care if he's an asshole or not. His role in my life is extremely comparable to that of Carl Sagan for a lot of people here. I grew up with his show and it got me interested in science. Asshole or not, he will no doubt have some interesting things to say.
    Post edited by Sail on