This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• My the bass pedal for my Rock Band drum kit is about to break again. Just ordered another. I think it's #12 or something. At least it's free of charge, but is it really too much to ask for them to finally release the reinforced pedal in Europe?
  • edited June 2010
    Fail #1: My parents didn't pay Time Warner. My house has no internet. Thankfully, I live in a complex so there is always at least one insecure AP near by.

Fail #2: My parents tell me that, come September, I may have to quit my job because if I don't my whole family might lose their health care coverage. The only way for me to keep my job and for them to not lose their coverage is if I move out. This is my first real job since I moved here and I'm not giving it up. Problem is, during the school year I can only work 20hr/wk, versus the summer where I can work up to 40hr/wk. So I have to find a place to accommodate my reduced income (about $800/mo max).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • My the bass pedal for my Rock Band drum kit is about to break again. Just ordered another. I think it's #12 or something. At least it's free of charge, but is it really too much to ask for them to finally release the reinforced pedal in Europe?
    You can get some nice metal ones that you screw into the plastic base.
  • @Sonic: Does anything good ever happen to you?
  • @ Sonic: Student loans - get them. They suck, but they will help with your financial situation. Also, you can seperate yourself from your parents and get better/more student loan money if they "kick you out" (other possible ways to have yourself seperated from your parents for student loan purposes: 1) turn 24, 2) get married, 3) have a kid, or 4) join the military).
  • edited June 2010
    @Sonic: Does anything good ever happen to you?
    I live and experience the world in all it's beauty every day.
    @ Sonic: Student loans - get them. They suck, but they will help with your financial situation. Also, you can seperate yourself from your parents and get better/more student loan money if they "kick you out" (other possible ways to have yourself seperated from your parents for student loan purposes: 1) turn 24, 2) get married, 3) have a kid, or 4) join the military).
    Due to reasons I feel uncomfortable discussing on a public forum, it would be difficult to get a non-fafsa student loan. Also, the military didn't want me last time I checked (4 years ago).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • After 4 years of trying alternatives, I have switched back to antiperspirant. Nothing else works on my tremendously active armpits. This is the first day since it got hot that I haven't reeked by mid-afternoon. :(
  • I decided to drink a soda for the first time in several months during lunch today because I was feeling tired and thought the caffeine would help. I was wrong; I'm now experiencing a horrific headache and I'm probably going to swear off soda permanently now.
  • I decided to drink a soda for the first time in several months during lunch today because I was feeling tired and thought the caffeine would help. I was wrong; I'm now experiencing a horrific headache and I'm probably going to swear off soda permanently now.
    Nooooooooo..... What about when you reached over and drank my coke those few times? :-p
    Your assumption that soda is to blame for your headache is not logically sound.
    Your assumption that soda is to blame for your headache is not logically sound.
    Do you eat candy or consume caffine? If so, then the headache causing ingredients in soda are already a part of your diet.
  • Dinner at 10:30.. and now I have to try and get to sleep.
  • Watched my cousin's short film...It was...Mediocre...
    I really wouldn't care if it wasn't my cousin with the extremely rich father. Basically, this father has spoiled his five children, and only one of the five is currently in college, despite them all being of age to be in college. He has bought a recording studio for one of his kids, a dance studio for another, and funded a film company for one of them, the one who made the short film. He collaborated with his sister's dance studio. The fact is, none of these small companies make any money, and they are all apparently mediocre. I will never get to make a game that just 100% what I wrote and planned, but these kids just get the funding to turn their ideas into real-life stuff without earning it, or having the proper training. It's just rather frustrating...
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Watched my cousin's short film...It was...Mediocre...
    I really wouldn't care if it wasn't my cousin with the extremely rich father. Basically, this father has spoiled his five children, and only one of the five is currently in college, despite them all being of age to be in college. He has bought a recording studio for one of his kids, a dance studio for another, and funded a film company for one of them, the one who made the short film. He collaborated with his sister's dance studio. The fact is, none of these small companies make any money, and they are all apparently mediocre. I will never get to make a game that just 100% what I wrote and planned, but these kids just get the funding to turn their ideas into real-life stuff without earning it, or having the proper training. It's just rather frustrating...
    I might not have any knowledge of the inner-mechanisms of the industry. However, It's usually a rule of thumb that buying your way in to something usually does not end well; especially if you've not had any formal training.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Watched my cousin's short film...It was...Mediocre...
    I might not have any knowledge of the inner-mechanisms of the industry. However, It's usually a rule of thumb that buying your way in to something usually does not end well; especially if you've not had any formal training.
    Yeah, I know. That's why it bothers me.
  • edited June 2010
    I will never get to make a game that just 100% what I wrote and planned
    Why not? One person can make a game.

Otherwise, if your ideas are good enough, you might get other people interested enough to get a lot of what you want in a collaborative project.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I will never get to make a game that just 100% what I wrote and planned
    Why not? One person can make a game.

Otherwise, if your ideas are good enough, you might get other people interested enough to get a lot of what you want in a collaborative project.
    Those are true. But my cousin's movie, despite being short, was still very high quality, and the only reason people attached to it was because he had the funding to back it. The idea wasn't very solid and it was executed poorly. Really, I just know that if I ever want something high quality that requires a team, I'll need the best idea ever if I want them to do it perfectly my way, otherwise it will be a joint effort. And since I want to be a game designer as a career, I'll probably get hired by some company where I will never get 100% control over the direction of a game, which is fine, it's just sad that I will put in the effort and go to college for four years, but my cousin won't and he will get more creative control than I will.
  • Nickelback is coming to Rock Band next Tuesday.

I hope this is just trolling, but otherwise...

• edited June 2010
    Well, there is always the option to not buy those songs.

Nickelback sucks. Stupid people will buy it nonetheless. Hopefully HMX makes some money to bring us better songs in the future. Let's just hope there is no track by them in RB3.
    I just feel sorry for the people who had to chart it though. Then again, it was probably easy.
    "Ok, one song done. Select All, copy, paste, paste, paste, paste, paste. All done."
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I've been spewing out bad poetry all day. Urgh.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, there is always the option to not buy those songs.

Nickelback sucks. Stupid people will buy it nonetheless. Hopefully HMX makes some money to bring us better songs in the future. Let's just hope there is no track by them in RB3.
    I just feel sorry for the people who had to chart it though. Then again, it was probably easy.
    "Ok, one song done. Select All, copy, paste, paste, paste, paste, paste. All done."
    I'm no DLC whore, but, I really thought Harmonix had more musical taste than that. Hell, they joke on that band all the time and Nickelback is even against rhythm games. And not only is it a 6-pack, but they picked some of the worst songs they ever did like Photograph or Rockstar. Granted, Burn It To The Ground is on there and that has awesome guitar and bass in it, but Kroeger is seriously one of the worst songwriters in music.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I'm not particularly fond of Nickleback, but I do think the song writer is very clever. I once heard him talk about his writing, and I found it quite interesting, if a bit cynical and clinical. But it does work, so I've got to give him credit.
  • Reddit is allegedly being trolled by a white supremacist group.

I don't know who fails more here, the trolls or Reddit.
  • Every time I'm reminded of the existence of Stormfront.org, I wish I hadn't been.
  • Every time I'm reminded of the existence of Stormfront.org, I wish I hadn't been.
    I know the feeling.
  • 35% rent increase. Boo, but no yah.
  • 35% rent increase.
    And I thought my 10% increase was outrageous. Sorry dude, I'd go and haggle, it worked for me.
  • And I thought my 10% increase was outrageous. Sorry dude, I'd go and haggle, it worked for me.
    Ahhh, rent-stabilized building. Aaaahhhhhh.....
  • Ahhh, rent-stabilized building. Aaaahhhhhh.....
    What?