This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• An episode about the Quest for Glory series. You can't not do an episode about this.
  • In the NAS episode, you guys said we'd never have to use a SAN, so you wouldn't talk about it. Well, now I work in an Enterprise environment and there are SANs everywhere. I have no idea how/why they work. Everyone I ask says that, from outside the SAN, it's a NAS, but from inside the SAN, it's a network.

Please make a show explaining what a SAN is.
    edited July 2010
    SAN = remote hard drives that appear to be local on which you store shit.
    NAS = remove server that stores your shit for you.
    With SAN you're have control over the storage space from your client, with NAS the server is in control of the storage space. Another example, you have to tell the former everything from how to store shit (what filesystem to use) to what to store, and the latter can only be told what to store (documents).

So from what I gathered, SAN is slave and NAS is master. Now go attach a SAN to a NAS.

EDIT: And make your san check.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Your insights are not very insightful.
  • edited July 2010
    Your insights are not very insightful.
    But the weather outside is frightful.
    Since we've no place to go,
    let him troll, let him troll, let him troll.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    SAN CHECK FAILED! NOW ROLL FOR SAN LOSS!
  • Did you talk about "the Semantic Web" yet? It's so trippy!
    But the weather outside is frightful.
    Since we've no place to go,
    let him troll, let him troll, let him troll.
    I <3 this post. ^_^
  • Nice to see my creative genius doesn't go entirely unappreciated.
  • Tintin. No excuse for there not to be a show. Timo sent you guys the comics, read those, it would make me and many fans here very happy.
  • They'd better watch the animated films based on some of the books too when they do that. For completion's sake.
  • They'd better watch the animated films based on some of the books too when they do that. For completion's sake.
    Absolutely. Actually, the show is quite impressive as it is very faithful to the books and makes few deviations (the only glaring one being Snowy not able to talk).
  • Absolutely. Actually, the show is quite impressive as it is very faithful to the books and makes few deviations (the only glaring one being Snowy not able to talk).
    I remember the show ran on Cartoon Network in Japan, and I watched it dubbed in Japanese. Why is it not on cartoon network here?
  • edited July 2010
    dubbed in Japanese
    Out of curiosity, how did they pronounce Tintin?
  • Absolutely. Actually, the show is quite impressive as it is very faithful to the books and makes few deviations (the only glaring one being Snowy not able to talk).
    I remember the show ran on Cartoon Network in Japan, and I watched it dubbed in Japanese. Why is it not on cartoon network here?
    Because Cartoon Network doesn't show cartoons anymore . Seriously though, that does strike me as somewhat odd because they were really into showing foreign cartoons (Canada or otherwise) back in the day. They even did a Month of Miyazaki (Laputa, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, and Mononoke-hime I believe). With that kind of diversity, you'd think they'd show it on there, right? My theory as to why I think they didn't show it is that Nickelodeon actually got there first and showed it around '95 or '97? That's actually what introduced me to it and I loved it.
  • Out of curiosity, how did they pronounce Tintin?
    Heh, I see what you did there. They approximated the French word. TI-TI no CHI-CHI
  • I have asked for podcast version of Beyond Dungeons & Dragons and I understand that it won't happen any time soon. But now I'm asking for any topic that you cover in your panels that could be made into podcast, but you haven't already. Main reason for me asking this however is your How to run a Panel panel. Considering that I'm going to be running a panel at a con next weekend for a first time, it would have been nice to hear your tips and tricks. Not that I need those, but it would still be nice.

And if it really is impossible to talk about your panel topics in the podcast, stop your "We might make some video-version but we don't promise anything so we won't shittalk" shittalk and make some video versions of your panels, please. I don't ask much, just the audio (doesn't need to be from actual con, you could make it in your studio) and the slides of panel made as a video. Actually I don't even need that, audio and slides as a separate files will be enough for me.
  • Out of curiosity, how did they pronounce Tintin?
    Heh, I see what you did there. They approximated the French word. TI-TI no CHI-CHI
    ..and there was a collective sigh from ten year old boys across the nation.
    Tin Tin was on Nick a long time ago if I remember.
  • Whatever happened to hacking.

I feel this has already be mentioned but a show on it would be fun.
  • Whatever happened to hacking.
    What do you mean hacking? That's not nearly specific enough at all.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Whatever happened to hacking.
    What do you mean hacking? That's not nearly specific enough at all.
    While hacking can be applied in any context, I think he was implying that he wants a show on hacking in the way that most people associate the term with: computers.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • computers.
    Computer hacking is incredibly boring. We could talk about the ethical issues I suppose, the the technical reality is interesting to a very small percentage of even our listeners, let alone the population at large.
  • Computer hacking is incredibly boring. We could talk about the ethical issues I suppose, the the technical reality is interesting to a very small percentage of even our listeners, let alone the population at large.
    Unfortunately, that's absolutely correct. Even the hackers like mitnick, their exploits running from the law, and the high points of paranoia with the lawmen who practically thought he had magic powers, and things he's said and done afterwards - that's what's interesting to many people. Even then, you'd end up with talking for about as long as you spoke about Max headroom and the Max Headroom TV hijacking.
  • edited July 2010
    This should probably be put in the meta mango for a while.
    For future reference, if anybody out there notices us being mentioned anywhere, let us know. Especially let us know if we are mentioned somewhere that we wouldn't normally know about. For example if we're mentioned on Anime World Order, you don't really need to tell us that, we know. If we're mentioned on local news in Montana, then tell us right away.
  • Do another Thunderdome episode.
  • I assume you mean an episode where they organize a thunderdome.
  • I assume you mean an episode where they organize a thunderdome.
    Either that or an episode on the Mad Max series.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd like to see another anime show soon, maybe an Utena Final Thoughts or an overview of the Macross franchise.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • As far as I can tell you haven't done a review of 20th Century Boys yet.
    Also, Ninja Turtles franchise.