This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• For the second time, someone on the verge of a suicidal breakdown is coming to me for help and not listening when I tell them that I am not qualified and that they need to find help that holds a prescription pad.

Fuck this noise.
    Good lord, your timing is impeccable... As someone in multiple very similar situations, I feel you there. *Pats on back*
    Yeah, this shit sucks. Apparently it's over rejection or something, I don't know. I just think that in situations like this, you need to recognize that no matter how abrasive a psychiatrist may be, he or she is the source of the help you need.
  • In my experience, the more abrasive, the better. I have some pretty thick-headed friends who won't buy into someone who won't tell them to quit their shit.
  • In my experience, the more abrasive, the better. I have some pretty thick-headed friends who won't buy into someone who won't tell them to quit their shit.
    For reals. It just pisses me off when people stop seeking help because they mistake abrasiveness for "not caring."
    For reals. It just pisses me off when people stop seeking help because they mistake abrasiveness for "not caring."
    Oh really? It's always been "I'm smarter than they are so obviously they can't help me" with me.

I think a communal bitching is what we need for the time being. Lovely.
  • Just spent two hours writing an email to my ex-girlfriend trying to explain to her why I think her turning up next week to cart off most of the furniture from my apartment is a really nasty and inconsiderate thing for her to do. I understand the situation, but why must I put in all the hard work to be reasonable and grownup about all this?
  • I understand the situation, but why must I put in all the hard work to be reasonable and grownup about all this?
    Because being reasonable and grownup only further infuriates those who are not.

Smiling when someone is yelling at you will hurt them more than yelling back at them ever could.
  • The old "Kill them with kindness" approach? I've had reasonable success with it myself as well.
  • edited August 2010
    The old "Kill them with kindness" approach? I've had reasonable success with it myself as well.
    All it did for me was put me in a predictable location, cost me money and a lot of blood. I don't think I'd put my eggs in that basket, unless I had a backup plan. Or I could hit them in the face with the basket.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2010
    The old "Kill them with kindness" approach? I've had reasonable success with it myself as well.
    One time I laughed at the misdirected, childlike anger of someone who was yelling at me and walked away, and she burst into tears. True story.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The old "Kill them with kindness" approach? I've had reasonable success with it myself as well.
    One time I laughed at the misdirected, childlike anger of someone who was yelling at me and walked away, and she burst into tears. True story.
    I have also done this to great effect when the religious types crop up on campus. They are so easy.
  • Smiling when someone is yelling at you will hurt them more than yelling back at them ever could.
    See, this is my problem. I said I was trying to be reasonable. There is no reason for me to want to hurt anyone, or kill anyone with kindness. Is this so bad?
  • See, this is my problem. I said I was trying to be reasonable. There is no reason for me to want to hurt anyone, or kill anyone with kindness. Is this so bad?
    No, that's fine, cause you're an adult. Unlike everyone else here it seems.
  • No, that's fine, cause you're an adult. Unlike everyone else here it seems.
    Yes, but the frightening part is that, outwardly, acting like an adult because you are one, and acting like an adult because it further infuriates the non-adults around you, are indistinguishable.
  • No, that's fine, cause you're an adult. Unlike everyone else here it seems.
    Yes, but the frightening part is that, outwardly, acting like an adult because you are one, and acting like an adult because it further infuriates the non-adults around you, are indistinguishable.
    ...and, thus, exploitable.
  • I dunno. There have been times I've been fighting with people I care about and I'd much rather they'd have smiled than yelled and said some of the things they did. Even if they didn't mean it, some angry things people have said to me during fits have stuck with me for years at a time. I feel that a calm, smiley/mature reaction wouldn't have hurt as much.
  • edited August 2010
    I just found out that the Satanic Surfers do no longer exist. I haven't heard them in a while, but I used to like them when I did. One of the few bands where the drummer was also the singer. :(
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited August 2010
    ...and, thus, exploitable.
    It's the ones who try to do it to be purposely infuriating to people are the most hilariously fun, because all you have to do is ignore their little act, and keep going. They will most often break before you do, and in a far more hilarious/useful fashion, because rather than getting the shits and going off, they've tried to put on their brave face, and when it breaks, it all comes out at once.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • ESPN preempts Around the Horn to show breaking news of Brett Farve getting out of a plane and into a car.
  • edited August 2010
    Two retards decided to fly into restricted airspace while Obama is in town.

Earlier today at work, I was surprised by two very large booms that felt and sounded like something hit the side of the building. The whole building shook, and I could hear it through my headphones. I later found out that it was two F-15 fighter jets creating a sonic boom heading from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA, where Obama currently is visiting.

It was pretty crazy to experience a sonic boom. At first I thought it was the military doing their normal routines and drills since my work is located near an army base, marine camp, and air force base, but it was apparently way more than the normal booms I am accustomed to.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited August 2010
    It was pretty crazy to experience a sonic boom.
    There was one here a few months back -- Twitter immediately blew up with Street Fighter jokes.

That's pretty crazy, though. I'm sure 99.9% of the time something like this happens it's just some hapless person wandering into restricted airspace, but the whole situation must be pretty intense.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • That's pretty crazy, though. I'm sure 99.9% of the time something like this happens it's just some hapless person wandering into restricted airspace, but the whole situation must be pretty intense.
    Yeah, Police already apprehended the people and they are being questioned.

Once people at my work found out it was two F-15, we were like, "Oh snap! It's on!" However, I'm surprised they didn't come from the local AFB.

Also lol@SF jokes.
  • I later found out that it was two F-15 fighter jets creating a sonic boom heading from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA, where Obama currently is visiting.
    Um, actually he's here today for a fundraiser. We had helicopters flying all over the place.
  • Um, actually he'sheretoday for a fundraiser. We had helicopters flying all over the place.
    Ah, well he was in town.
  • See, this is my problem. I said I was trying to be reasonable. There is no reason for me to want to hurt anyone, or kill anyone with kindness. Is this so bad?
    I didn't want to hurt this person, or even cause them any significant disrespect. They just threw a screaming tantrum and made a scene because I sat down in a chair that (unbeknowst to me) they had been sitting in--and she was 17 years old. I don't have time for that, which is why I walked away, and the fact that this was happening over a situation that could have been remedied with a simple "Excuse me, I was sitting there," was what made me laugh--and only just a bit. It wasn't mocking, callous laughter. Merely a chuckle, and then I left.

It's exactly what Rym said: being the more mature party was misconstrued as an attempt to infuriate and harass. Please don't presume to know how mature I am based on a single line of text conveying a high school anecdote.
  • I later found out that it was two F-15 fighter jets creating a sonic boom heading from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA, where Obama currently is visiting.
    Um, actually he'sheretoday for a fundraiser. We had helicopters flying all over the place.
    "It was a beautiful thing," said Brentwood resident Myles Berkowitz, commiserating with his neighbors on Montana Avenue. "Young, old, black, white -- everyone was pissed off."
  • They are going to open a Starbucks here, claiming to finally bring gourmet coffee here, to Costa Rica, where they get their fucking coffee from...
  • Being rousted from your sleep with a phone call is always bad. When that phone call comes from a friend of a friend who you've only spoken with on the internets (and thusly don't know their voice), and that person recently noted that they might be on the verge of a complete mental breakdown, it's worse. When they call to ask if you can get lunch and then get abrasive when the answer is "No, I can't, I'm in the process of moving," that's when you start severing ties.
  • Twitter immediately blew up with Street Fighter jokes.
    Some of the Twitter responses from the sonic booms.

Some were using #Obooma as a tag and a few other tweets made me giggle.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    As I was updating my iPhone 3G to version 4.0.2, an error suddenly occurs while the iPhone is flashing the "connect to iTunes screen". Now the phone is bricked, cannot be detected by either Windows or iTunes, and there is no possible way to restore the phone. At first I ran diagnostics to see if it could direct me to a solution through Apple Support, but none of the steps it recommended work. Even though it's still under warranty and I can get it replaced, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a victim of the instability issues that 3G users complain about when installing version 4.0 on it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • As I was updating my iPhone 3G to version 4.0.2, an error suddenly occurs while the iPhone is flashing the "connect to iTunes screen". Now the phone is bricked, cannot be detected by either Windows or iTunes, and there is no possible way to restore the phone. At first I ran diagnostics to see if it could direct me to a solution through Apple Support, but none of the steps it recommended work. Even though it's still under warranty and I can get it replaced, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a victim of the instability issues that 3G users complain about when installing version 4.0 on it.
    I find the instability issues to more often be apps taking a while to load then crashing, long random freezes while browsing, and sluggish response times.