This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Ok, so I said to not complain, and you guys complain. I'm serious about the not complaining. I will punish complaints. If you want to complain, go complain on the Vanilla forums.

If we had just switched from this to Vanilla 1 you would be complaining that everything is too wide or that there were all these useless cluttering buttons in the way. Or that it was too hard to post Youtube because you had to type in more than just a link to the video.

Adjust and shut up. Real bug reports only.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • How are missing insert buttons NOT a bug?
  • Missing features are not bugs. Also. Learn HTML.

I like it. I really like the fixed width.
  • edited October 2011
    How are missing insert buttons NOT a bug?
    If you don't know HTML you don't deserve to be putting anything in this forum that isn't text. It's an intentional barrier to entry.

Also, what do you need to insert besides images and videos? You don't even need html for links anymore. The only tag you ever need to use is img. Also, if you try to rebut this, that's a complaint, so don't.
  • edited October 2011
    Looks like the avatar resolution changed slightly, so now everyone's avatar is blurry.

Edit - Just checkin' to see how editing works.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited October 2011
    Looks like the avatar resolution changed slightly, so now everyone's avatar is blurry.
    Truth! Also, if you don't have an avatar uploaded, Gravatar will be used. FYI

Time to resize my hockey man.

I think the new size is 40x40, not 100% sure yet.
  • If we had just switched from this to Vanilla 1 you would be complaining that everything is too wide or that there were all these useless cluttering buttons in the way. Or that it was too hard to post Youtube because you had to type in more than just a link to the video.
    Accepting things like posting a youtube video is now just copy paste of a url would be easier if those things were explained in a clear way somewhere other than a random post in the middle of this thread.

Maybe a post in the rules and tips thread that explains the most used formating features. Youtube videos, pictures, spoilers, links.

Actually I don't think that there is a clear mention anywhere that you are supposed to use HTML in your comments.
  • edited October 2011
    Scott, you are deleting posts? Really? People bringing up a point or requesting a change isn't "complaining," it is constructive criticism. If you can't handle constructive criticism from friends by doing anything but deleting their posts or ignoring any valid points they raise, then your position must not be that strong to begin with.
    I'm deleting them because this is the wrong place for the criticism. Go complain on the Vanilla forums, not here. I didn't write this software, I just installed it. Also, baleeted!

Here is the place you can go to complain.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussions
  • Can we say what the upgrade did right? Like the 5min comment edit lockout.
  • edited October 2011
    Problem: When hitting back to the main discussion index, it doesn't force a refresh. So it's back and then refresh instead of just back.

Speak of the devil. After posting this comment, it worked fine. Maybe there's some trouble on the back end with updating the index.

Also: As far as the buttons thing goes, what we could really use is code autocomplete.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I feel like the image resizer is doing a shitty job. My icon looks crappy even though I re-uploaded. I guess I'll try resizing the image to 40x40 manually with Photoshop?
  • I kinda dig the new look and feel of the forum, I do miss the "insert" buttons, as a designer I'm a bit more click centric than type centric.
  • edited October 2011
    Ok, so I said to not complain, and you guys complain. I'm serious about the not complaining. I will punish complaints.
    Also, what do you need to insert besides images and videos? You don't even need html for links anymore. The only tag you ever need to use is img. Also, if you try to rebut this, that's a complaint, so don't.
    Scott, you're really being quite despotic with this complaining thing. I can understand that you think Vanilla 2 is legitimately better, but some people don't. And, so long as they aren't being annoying about it and they have solid reasoning, why shouldn't they express their opinions? I personally don't care one way or the other, but what you are doing is blocking the path to rational discourse. You can ignore them if you feel that their opinion doesn't have merit, but to try to silence them by threats? I don't think that's right.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I feel like the image resizer is doing a shitty job. My icon looks crappy even though I re-uploaded. I guess I'll try resizing the image to 40x40 manually with Photoshop?
    There is no image resizer. What's happening is your old image is loading at its original size and your browser is stretching it to fit in the box. If you want it to look good then you must upload something that is the right size. I'm still trying to determine if that size is 40x40 or not.
  • Scott, you are deleting posts? Really? People bringing up a point or requesting a change isn't "complaining," it is constructive criticism. If you can't handle constructive criticism from friends by doing anything but deleting their posts or ignoring any valid points they raise, then your position must not be that strong to begin with.
    I'm deleting them because this is the wrong place for the criticism. Go complain on the Vanilla forums, not here. I didn't write this software, I just installed it. Also, baleeted!

Here is the place you can go to complain.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussions
    You're the one that implemented the new software, knowing it has these issues. You make it sound like this is completely out of your hands.

Deleting posts is inflammatory and rude. If you genuinely want people to go to the Vanilla forums, that is fine, but deleting posts is infantile.
  • Seriously, you already deleted my other post? Scott, this is counter productive and my report of the "edit" issue was not a complaint.
  • Ok, so I said to not complain, and you guys complain. I'm serious about the not complaining. I will punish complaints.
    Scott, you're really being quite a despot with this complaining thing. I can understand that you think Vanilla 2 is legitimately better, but some people don't. And, so long as they aren't being annoying about it and they have solid reasoning, why shouldn't they express their opinions? I personally don't care one way or the other, but what you are doing is blocking the path to rational discourse. You can ignore them if you feel that their opinion doesn't have merit, but to try to silence them by threats? I don't think that's right.
    Listen people. I'm not trying to censor you. I do not think Vanilla 2 is legitimately better in every way. I actually agree that it's missing a ton of shit that I will add as soon as I can.

The reason I don't want you complaining is because I can't do shit about it. I don't write this software. I had to do a fuckton of work just to get us this far. I knew in advance you were all going to be babies who complain immediately when anything changes. If we wait five years and I add buttons, you would complain about that too. So for right now, please shut up. If you want something then write your own Vanilla plugin or go complain to the Vanilla people.
    There is no image resizer. What's happening is your old image is loading at its original size and your browser is stretching it to fit in the box. If you want it to look good then you must upload something that is the right size. I'm still trying to determine if that size is 40x40 or not.
    There must be an image resizer. The only way to change your avatar is to click "Change my picture," and then edit your thumbnail based on a selection from that picture.
    There must be an image resizer. The only way to change your avatar is to click "Change my picture," and then edit your thumbnail based on a selection from that picture.
    What size is the image you are uploading? If you upload an image that is smaller than the avatar size, of course it is going to be blurry. It's impossible to make an image bigger without it being shittier.
  • I'm uploading the original photo, which is a significantly larger resolution.
  • edited October 2011
    Listen people. I'm not trying to censor you. I do not think Vanilla 2 is legitimately better in every way. I actually agree that it's missing a ton of shit that I will add as soon as I can.

The reason I don't want you complaining is because I can't do shit about it. I don't write this software. I had to do a fuckton of work just to get us this far. I knew in advance you were all going to be babies who complain immediately when anything changes. If we wait five years and I add buttons, you would complain about that too. So for right now, please shut up. If you want something then write your own Vanilla plugin or go complain to the Vanilla people.
    Then instead making yourself look like an asshole by telling people they aren't allowed to complain and deleting posts, maybe you should just post that "Look, I know some stuff is missing; I'm working on it."
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • More appropriate banner message might be:
    "Hello and welcome to the new forum. In the first few weeks we will be experiencing some issues adjusting and appreciate your patience as we work out issues and restore functionality."
  • Listen people. I'm not trying to censor you. I do not think Vanilla 2 is legitimately better in every way. I actually agree that it's missing a ton of shit that I will add as soon as I can.

Then instead to creating a sort-of Streisand effect by telling people they aren't allowed to complain and deleting posts, maybe you should just post that "Look, I know some stuff is missing; I'm working on it."

I'm also trying to teach people the lesson of the Citgo sign. They complained when the sign went up, and then they fought to keep the sign up when they wanted to take it down. If you are complaining, YOU are that person! Don't be that person.
  • More appropriate banner message might be:
    "Hello and welcome to the new forum. In the first few weeks we will be experiencing some issues adjusting and appreciate your patience as we work out issues and restore functionality."
    Because that's a lie. I'll add some functionality if things change, but as far as what is available right now in terms of Vanilla plugins, this is it. It isn't changing any time in the near future unless you guys start coding.
  • I suppose I would never expect you to say something and not do it.
  • Meh, I thought it was pretty clear even before the update that stuff wasn't going to work immediately after the update, yes, there are no whispers, but all I needed to do was look at the inbox link on top and presto, there they were. As weird as it feels, I have to side with Scott on this one.
  • I'm uploading the original photo, which is a significantly larger resolution.
    Then yeah, it's probably using the shitty PHP image resizer or something.
  • edited October 2011

While I understand not wanting to be spammed with complaints, complaints serve a purpose. Our complaints let you know what we think is missing. A thread like this serves to let you know what needs to be done, so you can do it when it can be done. We're not asking you to do magic and fix all of the problems with Vanilla 2 in an instant (at least I'm not), but we do want you to take note of them when we bring them up so you can fix them later.

Also; I miss the old forum colors and styling, a moment of silence for the dearly departed yellow and green.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I'm also trying to teach people the lesson of the Citgo sign. They complained when the sign went up, and then they fought to keep the sign up when they wanted to take it down. If you are complaining, YOU are that person! Don't be that person.
    Unless the people were complaining about a typo on the sign instead of the of the sign being there, this is not at all same thing. I don't think anyone has said that go back to Vanilla 1.

Also my complaint had nothing to do with missing features, or bugs that you can do nothing about, but missing guidance for newbs to learn how to comment here. That's something you should be able to do.