This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Faith keeps some people from doing stupid things. I'm okay with faith as long as it keeps certain elements of the population docile and kind.
  • edited December 2012
    Does it really?

Moreover, even if it does, does that outweigh any negative consequences, and are there better ways to keep people docile and kind?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited December 2012
    Setting the analogy aside, though, I really don't see any real value to be had in faith, unless you're being sneaky with the definition.
    Well, "faith" can vary. I mean, the guy who wrote the line was an atheist (although the character who said it was a Catholic Monk, so there's some wiggle room as to what he meant in that particular situation). Then again, another of his favorite lines was "faith manages." If by "faith" you mean specifically faith in a supreme deity or something, that's probably not what he's talking about in the general case. The more general case can be faith that working on something you believe in will at least help make it come true if you put the effort into it. It's faith that humanity, despite all its warts, is fundamentally good. It's faith in the legal system. It's faith that scientists making exciting new discoveries are legitimately making new discoveries and not cooking the books for fame and fortune. "Faith" itself is a very broad term.

In the writer's case, it was faith that his magnum opus (at least at the time), Babylon 5, would be finished. It wasn't certain that it would be as it was almost cancelled every year it aired, but someone, despite the naysayers and critics, it managed to complete its scheduled 5 year run (though with some hiccups and speed bumps along the way, admittedly). The final frame of the final episode of the show consisted of a single title card that served as a big fuck-you to everyone who put the show down during its five year run: "To all of those who thought the Babylon Project was doomed to fail: Faith manages."
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • The thing is, "faith" in that sense is not something separate from reason.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    But "faith" in that sense is never what is actually being referred to when most people bring up faith in the context of religion or spirituality. In that context, faith almost always means something along the lines of "believing despite a lack of evidence or in the face of contrary evidence."

I have zero faith in "scientists" as a general class: I have consideration in proportion to the evidence of proper scientific practice and reproducibility.

I have zero faith in the US government: I have evidence of past good and bad behavior from which to extrapolate future predictions.

I have zero faith in my friends: I have evidence in the form of a history of friendship.

The pedantic arguments about the nature of "faith" are useless in religious or spiritual discussions, as it is extremely rare that the word is used in any context except specifically as blind belief in something specific.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2012
    Does it really?

Moreover, even if it does, does that outweigh any negative consequences, and are there better ways to keep people docile and kind?
    You're asking if people believing blindly in something that keeps them from hurting others, provided they practice their faith in a limited manner that doesn't impinge upon the freedoms of other people, has any negative consequences?

I mean, say what you will about the propagation of mass ignorance through the vehicle of organized religion, but I am so jaded about the possibility of fixing the majority of the stupid people around the world that I am entirely indifferent about precisely how I keep them from meddling with my affairs.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Carbon fiber Codabow arrived today! it is awesome.
  • I got an email back from my senator. It was a form letter but it made me feel better that he'd reply.
  • My dad just had me act as witness to his signature of an exclusive, irrevocable, ONE MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT!

Now, to GET the money.

• GREAT. Now you're gonna be Republican, aren't you.
  • edited December 2012
    Bite your tongue, proletariat scum.

Seriously, though, I will be encouraging them like all get out to sock most of it away. We'll probably get new cars, though. The Caddy is hanging on by a shoestring and I gave my car to Victoria when she moved out (she has since wrecked it twice, but that's her problem).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • NASA fellowship application is submitted!
    Good luck, and godspeed sir.
  • edited December 2012
    That predictive gliding project you were talking about sounds absolutely incredible. So many potential applications for autonomous flight with minimal energy consumption. If anyone deserves a NASA fellowship, it's you, dude.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    Good luck, and godspeed sir.
    Best of luck! Are you applying to JPL, perchance?
  • edited December 2012
    It's a general NASA fellowship, but JPL is the best lab fit for my research. More than likely I would work there for a couple semesters.

Now, to write an NSF grant proposal due in a week on the same project. #FML
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited December 2012
    Know what I love about Dungeons and Dragons? As a Wizard at level 5 I utterly frustrated the DM for Encounters, using four AOE attacks in an encounter, obliterating all the mooks he sent against my group. I'm a force of nature. I'm reminded of Sarda at a time like this:
    Know the best part about magic?
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited December 2012
    I am getting paid to hack today. This is pretty rad. My biggest problem is that my headphones aren't loud enough.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Grades for Newcastle have been processed. GPA jumped a full tenth of a point. Registered to graduate, May 2013.

• Know what I love about Dungeons and Dragons? As a Wizard at level 5 I utterly frustrated the DM for Encounters, using four AOE attacks in an encounter, obliterating all the mooks he sent against my group. I'm a force of nature. I'm reminded of Sarda at a time like this:
    My friend's DMing the current season of Encounters. It sounds like an awesome season. I wish I were back at my home FLGS so I could be DMing it.
  • Know what I love about Dungeons and Dragons? As a Wizard at level 5 I utterly frustrated the DM for Encounters, using four AOE attacks in an encounter, obliterating all the mooks he sent against my group. I'm a force of nature. I'm reminded of Sarda at a time like this:
    My friend's DMing the current season of Encounters. It sounds like an awesome season. I wish I were back at my home FLGS so I could be DMing it.
    It's spawned some awesome moments, including my wizard out-rolling a rogue on stealth checks and this last session where I set the world on fire.
  • So the GF and I realized last night that my roommate is basically grumpy cat the human. :P
  • So my CFI uncle-in-law, who is part of a small plane owning partnership, got his plane back from its annual maintenance/inspection and it passed with flying colors. Weather permitting, he's going to take me up for a lesson when I visit his neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.
  • So the GF and I realized last night that my roommate is basically grumpy cat the human. :P
    Yup.
  • My stupid fucking mashup made the front page of Reddit again and just broke a million hits. On Soundcloud.

Seriously it's not even that good you fools
  • You're right, it's okay.
  • edited December 2012
    My stupid fucking mashup made the front page of Reddit again and just broke a million hits. On Soundcloud.

This is how I feel whenever one of my stupid pony videos gets tens of thousands of views while FNPL videos get only a hundred or so. Good job, though.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited December 2012
    Sourcefednews called me an "enterprising young soul." WTF guys.

-EDIT- Or wait maybe they took it down? What?
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • My stupid fucking mashup made the front page of Reddit again and just broke a million hits. On Soundcloud.

This is how I feel whenever one of my stupid pony videos gets tens of thousands of views while FNPL videos get only a hundred or so. Good job, though.
    I almost know that feel, however, I never get that many views, so I'm left saying "fuck you and your first world problem!"
  • Well done, sir.