This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Find out what sort of ajax requests they're doing to load content and just load the relevant content pages? Depending of course on whether it's dynamic or something?
    Most sites that do this load everything at once and just hide/show divs to transition between the different "pages." Search engines can usually read things like this. However, the fact that a user can't send a friend a link to a specific "page" of the site is definitely harmful.

BTW: The way to achieve this effect without being dumb is to do what GitHub does:
    https://github.com/blog/760-the-tree-slider
    Wait, they're not using History API? Not even hashbangs? pushState those motherfuckers!
  • @YoshoKatana Are you talking about GitHub? GitHub is using the History API.
  • No, that other weird site that MATATAT mentioned. One-page sites that want to be serious but have no deep-linking (via History API or hashbangs/hashes) make me sad.
  • death to websites that put all their content on one page and have javascript transitions.
    I use noscript, and there's no way in hell I'm going to bother giving them an exception.
  • Got food poisoning and went to work. Not a good time.
  • Watching a two player game of Munchkin has to be the saddest sight in gaming and I could think of no better thread to put this thought in.
  • One of my dear friends is an admitted alcoholic (and a very visible one) and is seemingly at ease with how destructive his habit is.
  • edited January 2013
    One of my dear friends is an admitted alcoholic (and a very visible one) and is seemingly at ease with how destructive his habit is.
    I had friend like that in the past. We did everything we could to show him better ways to deal with his problems and how much it was an actual problem that affected his life as well as his friends. In the long run the only thing we could do was remove him from our lives as one can only watch the same train crash so many times.

I hope your friend gets the message and realizes just how much his habit not only affects him but those around him.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • death to websites that put all their content on one page and have javascript transitions.
    I use noscript, and there's no way in hell I'm going to bother giving them an exception.
    You realize that most of the Internet is only going to get harder for you to use, yeah?

You realize that most of the Internet is only going to get harder for you to use, yeah?
    Yeah, you're only screwing yourself for zero reward on that one. We frontend web engineers only want to make things prettier and more pleasant for you.
  • Watching a two player game of Munchkin has to be the saddest sight in gaming and I could think of no better thread to put this thought in.
    I was given that game for Christmas.

It's still in its shrink wrap.

• Yeah, you're only screwing yourself for zero reward on that one. We frontend web engineers only want to make things prettier and more pleasant for you.
    Truth. The only real priority with javascript-less clients is screen readers (accesability), and even they are getting better at dealing with the modern web. Manually disabling Javascript is like telling your browser not to load css files: The site will probably still work, but you shouldn't expect it to be something a human can parse.
  • Are you ready to get pissed?

http://www.theatlantic.com/sponsored/scientology/archive/2013/01/david-miscavige-leads-scientology-to-milestone-year-/266958/
    What was that about? When I go there now I'm greeted by the following: "We have temporarily suspended this advertising campaign pending a review of our policies that govern sponsor content and subsequent comment threads."
  • The Atlantic had a sponsored article supporting the Church of Scientology, including obvious astroturfing in the comments.
  • It's kinda cool to think that this might become the religion in the background of the dystopian cyberpunk future.
  • edited January 2013
    I forgot my mouse! >_<
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • My bank seems to be getting DDOSed. >_>
  • And the crazy continues in the comments section.
  • Facebook friend of a friend's solution to the problem of mentally ill people potentially getting guns and going on a shooting spree: "Just shoot them" -- as in, summary execution.
  • Facebook friend of a friend's solution to the problem of mentally ill people potentially getting guns and going on a shooting spree: "Just shoot them" -- as in, summary execution.
    That's one of the more horrible things I've ever heard.

Nice to know there are people who want me dead and don't even know me.
    Nice to know there are people who want me dead and don't even know me.
    That's been true of all of us for a while. :P
  • Sounds like trolling?
  • My maternal grandmother fell and broke her right arm at the ball joint in the shoulder. My dad informed me that her Alzheimer's has progressed to the point where she no longer has any short term memory. The second a conversation with my grandmother ends it is completely gone. She had no idea she broke her arm and tried to keep moving it even after it was restrained.

On top of that, according to my mom I'm responsible for the lack of progress in the treatment of MS, Alzheimer's, Crohn's, and cancer. I'm apparently the only person that's capable of doing any research in these fields even though they aren't my specialty at all. -_- If it weren't for my son I don't think I would have anything to do with her anymore.
  • On top of that, according to my mom I'm responsible for the lack of progress in the treatment of MS, Alzheimer's, Crohn's, and cancer.
    WOW. I really hope that is the stress of seeing her mother degenerate talking, and not her general attitude. Watching someone you love go through that is extremely taxing, but I don't know your mom.

*hugs* You know that you are doing as much as you can to make the world a better place.