This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How much would you pay for this forum?

Comments

• I been here for 6 years. I would pay a bit per month. No more than 2 dollars or so. This place gave me a lot! You guys gave me a lot. ...

*starts hugging people and sobbing happily*
  • Frankstein Scrym will be just the beginning. After that Davel and Joel will be next!
    In the final phase JoelDave-Scrymbot is created and the world is overthrown.

• Frankstein Scrym will be just the beginning. After that Davel and Joel will be next!

I think that's the plot to the long awaited sequel to Atomic Warrior: Valiant Denim.

Choosing to power the robot with Entenmann's Donut Water was considered humanity's Final Grand Mistake.
  • edited September 2013
    EDIT: I've been a member of this forum for eight fucking years.

Holy shit.
    This account is over 2 years old.

I might need to shed some skin soon™. That might get Scrym to sell fire jackets in bulk to finance the forums.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Well, Vanilla just raised their prices to $200 a month...
  • Shit...
  • Why don't you just make a thread that's visible on all the sub-forums that contains a link to PayPal so people can start donating as the mood strikes them?
  • Having moderated a bunch of forums, I think you could handle this same user load for a hell of a lot less than $200/month. I know you bulleted the compelling features of Vanilla hosting some time ago, but...

Migration, of course, sucks. Especially on a forum where apparently necroposting is sacrosanct. :P
  • edited October 2013
    Wait, are you hosting this on their cloud based services? Herpderp
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I assume that's what he meant. Vanilla licensing doesn't cost anything if you self host.
  • edited October 2013
    Nobody should pay that. That's insane.

Disclaimer - I have no idea if that's actually insane.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't pay nearly that much in colocation fees for my server. With the added benefit that I can use my server for whatever I want.
  • So I started a free trial of the hosted Vanilla. It is just better. Come try it out. Know that the whole thing will be deleted with a month.

http://frc.vanillaforums.com/
  • For testing purposes I denied somebody. Let me know that the denial worked. Then apply again to get approved.

Actually I just mis-clicked and that's an excuse.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm gonna say yes.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Ok, so from what I can tell the cloud hosted vanilla is the same as what we have, only all of our problems are fixed, including search. It's just now even more expensive than it used to be. Even if I upgrade our Vanilla to the latest open source release on Github, it will still not have the good search which they will not open source.

The choices we have are:

1) Stay with this and suffer, and perhaps wait for another solution to appear.
    2) Pay money, but all other problems are solved except money.
    3) Find another kind of self-hosted forum that doesn't suck and find a way to migrate it. May not exist.
  • By "we" you mean "you"? Ultimately it is your decision.
  • By "we" you mean "you"? Ultimately it is your decision.
    Sure, but my ability to choose #2 depends on how many dollars other people have, because I don't have enough.
  • I thought of another option. What if we locked this forum in place for all eternity and started a new blank one at frontrowcrew.com/forum instead?

• The choices we have are:

1) Stay with this and suffer, and perhaps wait for another solution to appear.
    2) Pay money, but all other problems are solved except money.
    3) Find another kind of self-hosted forum that doesn't suck and find a way to migrate it. May not exist.
    1) From looking at other forum solutions there really is no other real option outside of a weird commenting system. For what its worth I don't mind what we have at the moment.

2) For $200 a month I could see maybe doing an annual drive plus a tip jar solution, except for the fact that once it goes up the ivory may lose a small amount of sheer.

3) Does not exist currently online without lots of BS no one wants.
  • I don't mind this forum for its few problems, but I am willing to donate a small amount of money per year for what it's worth.
  • I thought of another option. What if we locked this forum in place for all eternity and started a new blank one at frontrowcrew.com/forum instead?
    Would that actually solve anything?

• /r/frontrowcrew
  • Invade the Fast Karate forums.
  • I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea that a forum with an acceptable search function costs $200/month for like.. <100 regular users.
  • Invade the Fast Karate forums.
    It's too large already. One of the things I like most here is that the low number of actives keeps the pace of conversations followable.

Would that actually solve anything?
    If yes, then I'm fine with this option. We can re-establish any important info easily enough.