This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Wow, ac is ridiculously fast. But apparently n is still faster than my Internet connection, so whatev. I'll get it some time on down the road.
  • Plus I have heard that ac kind of needs to be line of sight so if its in the other room and the wall is in the way you'll probably just end up on n anyway.
  • Plus I have heard that ac kind of needs to be line of sight so if its in the other room and the wall is in the way you'll probably just end up on n anyway.

I don't know enough about it, but that sounds very un-true.
  • Well, higher frequency implies less range per watt, and more attenuation per foot of stuff in the way. Dunno how drastic the effect is with home routers.
  • Starfox said:

Well, higher frequency implies less range per watt, and more attenuation per foot of stuff in the way. Dunno how drastic the effect is with home routers.

I don't think it's a higher frequency. It's 5Ghz, which is what I'm using now.
  • edited October 2015
    AC has a special part of its spec called "beamforming" which allows your router to increase signal concentration over points of use, so you should see an overall strength improvement throughout your house especially since ac was designed to perform well through walls and interference (the 5GHz band is relatively interference-free)
    That being said, speed for single-antenna devices like you ipad or phone should double, conservatively.
    N is 12.5 MB/s on a single antenna, the limit for AC is 50, but 25 is most realistic.
    Post edited by Alaric728 on
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Well, higher frequency implies less range per watt, and more attenuation per foot of stuff in the way. Dunno how drastic the effect is with home routers.

I don't think it's a higher frequency. It's 5Ghz, which is what I'm using now.
    Huh. Where does the extra bandwidth come from then?
  • Anyone else having trouble with Nvidia lately? Geforce experience won't download any drivers, and I can't download drivers or geforce experience updates from the website.
  • Starfox said:

Anyone else having trouble with Nvidia lately? Geforce experience won't download any drivers, and I can't download drivers or geforce experience updates from the website.

Works for me. Even ShadowPlay is nice.
  • Whatever it was, it's fixed now. Latest updates downloaded. Firefox wouldn't even start the download before. Just sat at 0/however many bytes.
  • So my PC BSoD on me this morning, and thankfully I caught the code this time: f4. I won't be able to start googling for answers until later, but if someone has a suggestion on what to do it would be appreciated.

Unless that suggestion is more time consuming and stressful than just reinstalling Windows 7, or installing Windows 10.
  • Banta said:

So my PC BSoD on me this morning, and thankfully I caught the code this time: f4. I won't be able to start googling for answers until later, but if someone has a suggestion on what to do it would be appreciated.

Unless that suggestion is more time consuming and stressful than just reinstalling Windows 7, or installing Windows 10.

The #1 cause of BSoD is bad RAM. It might be a dead stick or just having to re-seat the RAM.

The #2 cause it some corrupt file, usually a driver. If you can figure out which file it is and overwrite it with a not-corrupt file, you'll be all set.

The #3 cause is another piece of hardware being glitchy. Might just be a cosmic ray. Might be something that needs replacing. Hope it isn't the motherboard. (It's probably the motherboard)

The #4 cause is running bad software, like Windows ME. Just upgrade already.
  • Thanks for the advice Scott. I'll have time to go through those on the weekend.

One question: how would you check the hardware (besides RAM)? I'm assuming there's some tool that one can run that does it for you.
  • Banta said:

Thanks for the advice Scott. I'll have time to go through those on the weekend.

One question: how would you check the hardware (besides RAM)? I'm assuming there's some tool that one can run that does it for you.

The process of elimination.
  • I've had several accounts stolen recently so it's time I revamped my passwords from the 3 or so that I used everywhere. What's the best solution for this? Do I generate a different, random password for everything I care about (I'll still use a single throwaway for things that don't matter)? Use a simple formula to generate a password for each website? Or is there a password manager that is both functional and reasonably secure?
  • If you don't trust lastpass you could use Keepass and then just sync your database to your phone or something. It's still encrypted afaik so it should be secure if you use a good password for it.
  • I'm using LastPass right now. Chrome's also introduced auto-password-generation to its own password manager, and so despite being down on having your browser save passwords in the past, I might switch to that.
  • edited January 2016
    Would keepass still work if I need to access log into a computer I don't own? Would I need my phone or a flash drive? What about Lastpass?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Lastpass you can log into the Lastpass website.
  • Oh I use Lastpass too, its just some people just don't trust any service like that or don't like the people that recently bought them. Keepass is a local password manager so you need your database with you to get at your passwords. Syncing it with Dropbox or Google Drive is fine in most cases but yeah you'd need a portable version on a flash drive or something if you wanted it on another persons computer. For a while I used Lastpass for most accounts and stuff in-browser, and Keepass for a local stuff and on mobile since I didn't want to pay for premium. The nice thing is you can export Lastpass into Keepass and lots of other stuff so you're not stuck with them if want to switch or they go away and you have a ton of accounts in there.
  • Ikatono said:

I've had several accounts stolen recently so it's time I revamped my passwords from the 3 or so that I used everywhere.

WTF it took multiple steals for this to happen?
    Not to be disparaging but this is the kind of question I would get from a random 60+ year old.
    20 character randomly generated passwords for everything.
  • Pick an easy base password, preferably a long one. Then, develop your own complicated, yet easy to remember, algorithm for modifying that password based on the website you are logging into. You can also add a a variable factor to that algorithm that is "how much do I care about this account." That should let you create unique passwords on every site that would be damn near impossible for anyone to see the pattern in.

Odds are if you get an account info stolen, it will be you and thousands/millions of others, so no individual eyeballs are looking at your password. They will just try to plug your email and password combo into every other website on the internet. Literally *anything* but using the same exact password will save you here.

For the accounts you actually care about, two factor authentication.
  • sK0pe said:

Ikatono said:

I've had several accounts stolen recently so it's time I revamped my passwords from the 3 or so that I used everywhere.

Not to be disparaging but this is the kind of question I would get from a random 60+ year old.
    There's no way I'm actually remembering long, random passwords for every site, so the question was really "is the extra security from long, random passwords worth the loss of security from using software to remember them". I never seem to hear anything good about these programs.
  • Ikatono said:

sK0pe said:

Ikatono said:

There's no way I'm actually remembering long, random passwords for every site, so the question was really "is the extra security from long, random passwords worth the loss of security from using software to remember them". I never seem to hear anything good about these programs.
    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html
  • Ikatono said:

sK0pe said:

Ikatono said:

No, no, no. You remember *one* long password, and then two or three rules that are simple, but really weird. Weird enough to not be guessed what the rules are just by staring at your plain-text password.

• Ok, I was mostly making sure that that method is actually secure. Time to reset everything.
  • I'm trying to hook up my TV's optical audio out to my speaker's 3.5mm audio in. How would I do this? I wasn't expecting the TV to only have digital out.
  • Maybe get an adapter?