This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Yea those E-mails are being blown out of proportion, they mostly deal with the DNC trying to beat up Sanders claims about the DNC.. Seems like you'd want to fight back if someone is calling you out. I mean that's what people do in Elections. Also not surprising that they would lean Hillary for all the 10000 reasons that were mentioned during the primary.
  • I haven't been following the story I just thought it was funny.
  • edited July 2016
    This is a targeted cyber attack by a foreign country to try and alter elections. Unprecedented.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

This is a targeted cyber attack by a foreign country to try and alter elections. Unprecedented.

Yea ironic that this may actually draw fire on the Trump campaign because now everyone is looking and finding a lot of information about how fiscally connected he is to Russia.
  • Andrew said:

This is pretty alarming for sure. A stark example of our modern reality. Such is the power of the Internet.

On the other hand, this is also one of the most cyberpunk things I can imagine; this means we live in a cyberpunk world, and therefore mirrorshades are now stylish.
  • Does that mean it's economically responsible for me to buy a luminescent green visor?
  • So when can I buy my bowel disruptor?
  • And where can I sign up to work for the pizza delivery mafia?
  • You need to find a contact with Papa John.
  • Can I buy a robo attack dog?
  • Today I tried to have a conversation to one of my aunts regarding her reasons of why she won't vote for neither Hillary or "the one who shall not be named". Eventually she told me that her mind is set, and it won't change.
    I should have given up when she let me know that she believed that both houses are controlled by a Democrats.
    But I guess this is what happens when you are fed an unhealthy dose of Faux news for 15 years :(
    This is also my fail of the day.
  • What did she say when you mentioned the house and senate was controlled by Republicans?
  • Cremlian said:

What did she say when you mentioned the house and senate was controlled by Republicans?

She said "Well I thought that they don't change until a new President is elected", and then she didn't say anything else, just that she won't change her mind. She didn't even know that Republicans were the ones stopping any nomination for Judge for the Supreme Court.

Eventually I became frustrated, so I counted to 10 and instead of saying something that I would regret I decided to swallow my words, and leave to go to work.
  • We do have a real problem in that there is a motivated base that is impervious to even bare facts.
  • Rym said:

We do have a real problem in that there is a motivated base that is impervious to even bare facts.

I wonder with Roger Ailes being booted from FOX news whether Murdoch's sons, who are reportedly much more liberal and progressive than their father, will change how the "news" is reported.

• Rym said:

We do have a real problem in that there is a motivated base that is impervious to even bare facts.

I wonder with Roger Ailes being booted from FOX news whether Murdoch's sons, who are reportedly much more liberal and progressive than their father, will change how the "news" is reported.

Honestly, I doubt it. I don't think one guy at the top, who's main job is to keep thing's going as it is, will really be an agent for change.
  • Naoza said:

Rym said:

Honestly, I doubt it. I don't think one guy at the top, who's main job is to keep thing's going as it is, will really be an agent for change.
    Why not? The old one seemed to be a pretty good agent to create the current culture of abuse that rules the network now.
  • So I'm loving this conspiracy theory George Will is putting forth. If Trump has ties to Russia, couldn't that then mean that he was the force behind the Wikileaks emails?
  • Given that Trump's Russian links are mostly them providing him with much of his business capital, I think the leverage primarily goes the other way.
  • Exactly. If they put him in the White House, they will have a lot of leverage over one of the most powerful people on the planet.
  • Gotta love that now that George Will isn't a Republican anymore, he can write all kinds of crazy articles about them too.
  • If we're going to have conspiracy theories about Trump, wouldn't something to do with his mob ties be less of a stretch? Something about actually wanting the border wall put up to limit the flow of Mexican cartel drugs so the Gambino family's drugs can fill that void or something like that.
  • edited July 2016
    I'm waiting for all the conspiracy theories (aka fanart) of this.

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited July 2016
    Naoza said:

I'm imagining he's the scary old guy we're all terrified will vote in an angry beaver with a bad toupee. He's not a terrible person, just uninformed and unwilling to do anything about it.

When one allows oneself to become uninformed and unwilling to become informed and one's actions/inaction based on same directly or indirectly hurt others, then it doesn't matter how well intentioned or nice a person may be. It is a choice, like all other things. A person may not go around kicking puppies, but if they contribute to the defunding of Planned Parenthood they are contributing to the transmittal of HIV/AIDS. If they vote for those who would scale back welfare programs, they are starving Americans of all ages. If they do not support more equitable taxation of the rich, then they are depriving the American people (particularly the poor, minorities, women, children, and the elderly) of necessary services. When I look at puppy kickers v. Republicans, I would actually prefer a puppy kicker - the puppy might survive, the poor and under-served Americans may not.

EDIT: To be fair to your father, at least when you present him with evidence and information, he doesn't ignore it.

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I would like to see a venn diagram of puppy kickers and Republicans. I would be surprised if there wasn't a decent crossover.
  • https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-lot-of-people-are-saying-trump-is-a-putin-puppet/2016/07/26/9978569c-536f-11e6-b7de-dfe509430c39_story.html?utm_content=link&utm_medium=website&utm_source=fark&wpisrc=nl_draw2&wpmm=1#comments

We are just Asking questions here. Nothing wrong with that. :-p

Payback is a bitch Trump.

//8 fucking years of dealing with him talking about Obama's Birth Certificate.
  • I'm going to miss Biden. Not so much the actual Joe Biden as the Joe Biden that The Onion gave us. None of those jokes work with Tim Kaine.
  • He'll always be America's weird uncle to me.
  • Now I'm conflicted, with all this Russia shit would he be a fascist dictator or a communist dictator? Horseshoe theory at work, I guess.