This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
Dating. What do you think about it? Doing it now? Any horror stories or sugary stories of cutesy lovey bits? Any tactics?

My only horror story is going on a date and the guy smelled. It was a mixture of fanboy funk and hot dogs. His car smelled like it and he smelled like his car which was also ew on the inside. Being that I'm straightforward I told him I can't date a guy who smelled. We continued for a little bit after he started taking showers but he was too....scary fanboy for even me! Dude, I'm a super fangirl and he really creeped ME out! Damn!

On the non horror side most dates go okay. Just today I went to a Japanese restaurant with my boyfriend. Awesome food and an really awesome guy! <3

Comments

• Haven't really been interested.
  • Not so much a dating story, but an end of dating story - I'd been dating a girl for about 11 months or so, when out of the blue, she dumps me - By inviting me to her wedding. To someone else.
  • Been out of the scene for a little while now but I remember a truly ridiculous story with one particular girl I dated:

She took me for a drive out of the city, said it was a surprise. Turns out the surprise was I was about to meet her entire family after only 3 weeks of dating. Now this would have been fine had I not lied about being able to play piano during the early courtship period. Her mother very quickly pointed to a grand piano and said "I hear you play piano too, would you like to show us some". After my excuses were rebuffed, I sat at the piano with everyone watching me. I hit a few keys as my mind was racing to think of a way to get out of this ridiculous situation without looking like a dirty liar. It then occurred to me that I could play the high and mighty card, I hit the 8 keys of a tune I remembered from music class as a boy, and then looked at the piano disgusted. I asked the mum "Is this in tune?". She went bright red and confessed that it might be a little out of tune. I promptly got up, apologized and said I couldn't play on such a piano as it would kill the music. The rest of the evening went well but I did the safe thing and broke up with the girl the next week.
  • Not so much a dating story, but an end of dating story - I'd been dating a girl for about 11 months or so, when out of the blue, she dumps me - By inviting me to her wedding. To someone else.
    Ouch.
  • It then occurred to me that I could play the high and mighty card, I hit the 8 keys of a tune I remembered from music class as a boy, and then looked at the piano disgusted. I asked the mum "Is this in tune?". She went bright red and confessed that it might be a little out of tune. I promptly got up, apologized and said I couldn't play on such a piano as it would kill the music. The rest of the evening went well but I did the safe thing and broke up with the girl the next week.
    If this is true, and not a scene from a sitcom you saw once, it's frackin' brilliant.
  • The rest of the evening went well but I did the safe thing and broke up with the girl the next week.
    That's a very Seinfeld thing to do. =D
    Damn. That's so movie like.
  • edited April 2008
    If this is true, and not a scene from a sitcom you saw once, it's frackin' brilliant.
    Sadly it is very true. The entire month long relationship (if you can call it that) was odd. The break up went badly, she cried when I told her it wasn't working out and perhaps we'd be better as friends. I did the whole "it's not you it's me", it was all fairly standard besides the large outpouring of emotion for such a short relationship. Then the next week I got a knock on my door and it was her. I asked her what she was doing coming past, thinking perhaps she might have forgotten something. She looked at me very oddly and asked why she needed a reason to come over to which I replied that it might be weird seeing as we had broken up. I could not believe the waterworks that ensued. It was ridiculous. For whatever reason she thought we had just had an argument so I had to go about doing the entire break up again. Luckily the second time stuck. She was a pretty girl though I can't help but feel I dodged a bullet by bailing out early.
    Post edited by sime on
  • Sime. Here is your mission, should you choose to accept it. You have to find that girl and tell her:
    1) You cannot play the piano and were using it as a way to impress her.
    2) You broke up with her simply because of this.
    3) Your relationship meant that little to you.
    And get the whole thing on video.
  • I have had no luck with women whatsoever.
  • Sime. Here is your mission, should you choose to accept it. You have to find that girl and tell her:
    1) You cannot play the piano and were using it as a way to impress her.
    2) You broke up with her simply because of this.
    3) Your relationship meant that little to you.
    And get the whole thing on video.
    If he does I hope the girl would kick his ass. I mean, what kind of guy are you if you lie about your skills just to impress a girl. If she wouldn't like you because you couldn't play the piano, she's shallow, if you lie about it to impress her, you're a bastard. You were lucky, but I now wish that piano was in tune and the mom was 100% certain about it.
  • I don't think hes the only bad one there. I don't know but it seems like that girl introduced you to her parents way too early!
    It makes me think she was clingy. It was a bad thing to lie to impress her but it was only the first 3 weeks. I guess it all depends on how much he stressed that he played the piano.
  • edited April 2008
    ..yeah, no such luck for me.

Though I did ask someone the day after we went on a long 1 and a 1/2 hour walk, but she said no. *sigh*
    Post edited by Infinity on
    edited April 2008
    I don't think hes the only bad one there. I don't know but it seems like that girl introduced you to her parents way too early!
    It makes me think she was clingy. It was a bad thing to lie to impress her but it was only the first 3 weeks. I guess it all depends on how much he stressed that he played the piano.
    Wait, you're saying the girl is also at fault for potentially having fallen in love head over heels? Come on. We can all agree here that Sime was a liar and bailed out the moment his lies became hard to maintain. As if this girl was merely a flight of fancy, merely a plaything for the moment.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Dude, you have to be kidding with this white knight shit. He wasn't being especially nice, but it's hardly the crime against human decency you've made it out to be. People lie in relationships, it happens. It's not a big deal. It wasn't even that bad, he wasn't dating her that long and he broke it off before anyone reasonable would've made a serious emotional connection. Tons of people have done worse. Shoot, I've done worse on a regular basis.
  • Honestly, if you're unhappy in a new relationship (and they'd only been together for three weeks) bailing quickly is a reasonable thing to do. Yeah, he was an ass to lie about the piano but he would have been doing far worse if he had kept leading on a girl he knew he wasn't actually that interested in.
  • edited April 2008
    Heh, lying about being able to play the piano! How dare you! =P Next thing you know he'll be saying "No hun, your ass doesn't look big in that", the audacity.

Anyway, I've never been good at dating. I got into my first relationship when I was 18 (ish) and that was with some chick online, where I now come to realize she was obviously cheating on me, but I don't blame her... I was just a guy on the net who she happened to like, but I was in London whilst she was in California. My next relationship was a year later with a chick called Hayley, I met her on a role playing forum and we met up in real life, I remember not being attracted to her at all but we got along alright but nothing great, I'm pretty sure I only stayed with her because I figured she was one of the only girls who ever showed affection towards me in that way.

3rd and not least, at all, is my current girlfriend of *calculates* 17 months. I live in London, she in Miami and we're as close as two people could be. I've been to see her 3 times and she has been here once (and is demanding that she will come again, during summer this time) and her family loves me and my family love her. It's one of those weird relationships where everything just seems to go right. We have the same personality and sense of humor, but with a little variation from both of us.

So there you go, I'm 22 and have dated 3 girls =P technically 2 since I never met the first one! And technically 1 since I only went on one date with the second one... to McDonalds. I'm such a catch.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I have some funny dating stories, but here is one that is near and dear to my heart.

After a bad break-up and before I met my husband, I dated a young man.... let's call him Darryl. He was nice, cute-ish, and geeky. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but pleasant. I dated him knowing that I wouldn't fall for him. I told him that I was only interested in dating casually (not dating multiple people, just not getting serious), so I was upfront about my intentions and he was fine with it. He was addicted to some online game (it was a space game, I forget the name) and he would ignore me (even when I was clearly offering physical intimacy) to play it. Eventually the weak attraction that was there died away and I went over to his place to let him know that I wanted to be just friends. He started to cry... a lot. I felt horrible, and I hugged him and told him that I would always be his friend, that I never expected him to fall for me, etc. I started to tear up, I never intended to hurt such a nice guy! Then, as he sobbed on my shoulder he looked up at me with big, earnest eyes and asked "Can we still fool around?"
    I couldn't believe it! I laughed in his face, threw him off me, and left the apartment.
  • I don't think hes the only bad one there. I don't know but it seems like that girl introduced you to her parents way too early!
    Wait, you're saying the girl is also at fault for potentially having fallen in love head over heals? Come on. We can all agree here that Sime was a liar and bailed out the moment his lies became hard to maintain. As if this girl was merely a flight of fancy, merely a plaything for the moment.
    Sime did lie to impress her but so did my boyfriend, when I met him. Little lies aren't bad. We all play it up a bit when we meet someone we like. Obviously, saying that he plays the piano got him into a little bit of a mess. I don't know Sime in person so I cant say that he's a jerk. Depending on how high he played his game up makes him more or less a jerk. I can't come to that assumption . I do know that she tricked him into meeting her whole family... perhaps not thinking how intimidating that could be. With in three weeks your still only getting to know a person. I'm not saying she's a jerk either but shes sounds a bit unrealistic.
  • I've found that many people in relationships don't seem to learn anything from them. I've had..wow, 6 girlfriends(?) in the past few years, but I've learned from each one.

The first and second were simply mutual infatuation, and ended fairly quickly. Those women are now two of my best friends. The third lasted longer, but we seemed to think on different levels, so I ended it. The fourth was quite lighthearted and fun, but she had to go back to Singapore. The fifth was strange, in that it was going great until she sent me an email out of the blue. Saying "we're done," of course. Maybe she met someone else? My sixth (and current) is pretty cool. She has similar enough interests that she isn't turned off by geekery, and is somewhat of a fledgling geek herself (she's been using ubuntu for a few months now).

I've found it's important to be lighthearted about most things in a relationship, and not worry about things. It's also incredibly important to be able to talk with them on the same level. If she can only talk about her day, and you're exploring the meaning of life, you might have a problem.
    edited April 2008
    Dude, you have to be kidding with this white knight shit. He wasn't being especially nice, but it's hardly the crime against human decency you've made it out to be. People lie in relationships, it happens. It's not a big deal. It wasn't even that bad, he wasn't dating her that long and he broke it off before anyone reasonable would've made a serious emotional connection. Tons of people have done worse. Shoot, I've done worse on a regular basis.
    Honestly, if you're unhappy in a new relationship (and they'd only been together for three weeks) bailing quickly is a reasonable thing to do. Yeah, he was an ass to lie about the piano but he would have been doing far worse if he had kept leading on a girl he knew he wasn't actually that interested in.
    You two do not fully understand my anger I assume. From what a person can tell by the posts made by Sime, is that he broke up because he couldn't play the piano, when he said he could. Hell, if he had told her when he broke up with her that he had lied I wouldn't be so angered by this, but he merely used the cliched "It's not you, it's me". Which is just a pathetic cop out to not say "Sorry, I lied to you." He never even said he was unhappy about the relationship! The fact that his lie might be exposed was the reason for him to break up is low. It's pathetic.

As you said Dave, people lie in relationships, and those relationships don't instantly break apart because of it. Not without the relationship already heading for disaster for some time. He could've just admitted he couldn't play the piano as well as they might've expected, merely a song or two, nothing wrong with that.

EDIT:
    I'm not saying she's a jerk either but shes sounds a bit unrealistic.
    True, but she might've fallen head over heels for him as I said earlier, and told her parents a ton about him and wanted him to meet them as soon as possible. Of course, we do not know everything about the mentioned situations, but we can tell that she might've been genuinely wanting to surprise him with the honor of meeting her parents, as if to say "I really like you, please meet my parents." Of course I agree that she might've been a jinx and did that just to make him look bad and toy with him, but we've also been told that she burst out in tears both times he told her it was over. I personally find the head over heels love theory most probable.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I don't have an extensive dating history (2 girlfriends, one when I was 13 - 16, and the other over the course of the past two years), but I can tell you that I've learned a lot about relationships over the years.

I'll say this: dating a coworker for a year and a half is way harder than you think.
  • Hell, if he had told her when he broke up with her that he had lied I wouldn't be so angered by this, but he merely used the cliched "It's not you, it's me". Which is just a pathetic cop out to not say "Sorry, I lied to you." He never even said he was unhappy about the relationship! The fact that his lie might be exposed was the reason for him to break up is low. It's pathetic.
    You're being horribly unrealistic. What kind of sane person would give themselves that kind of extra trouble? He cut things closely enough with the whole piano dealie. So even if he admits his lie and continues the relationship, where would that get him? I would not expect someone who takes their bf or gf to meet their parents after only three weeks of dating to make rational decisions in a serious relationship. Bragging about something that he couldn't back up was a bad move to begin with, but continuing that kind of relationship would have been even worse.
  • So even if he admits his lie and continues the relationship, where would that get him?
    I never said he had to stick around after admitting that he lied. Or at least didn't tell the exact truth and that their expectation was too high.
  • If he wouldn't stick around, then why bother? All it'll accomplish is getting more people pissed off.
  • Oh, give it a rest, the girl had bunny-boiler written all over her. You're not obligated to pour your heart out or even tell the whole truth after just three weeks of dating.
  • If he wouldn't stick around, then why bother? All it'll accomplish is getting more people pissed off.
    Perhaps, it could've also helped in breaking up. Point is, we cannot determine the possible outcomes at this point in time. Only when we can travel to other dimensions we will be able to do so. And even then finding the right branch will be hard.

Once again, from the information we have I can only conclude that at least Sime was a liar and a bastard for breaking up with the reason supplied.
  • I just wanted to see how she would react.
  • *Sigh* I'll never understand morality freaks like you.