This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Hockey Thread

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
With only five gamedays left in the regular season, the NHL is closing in on the playoffs. Personally I think the last playoff seats in the eastern conference will not be set until the final gameday. I think only Scotts Rangers are safe so far with 3 points ahead, three games left and two scheduled with the Islanders.

Unfortunately my favorite team, the Flyers, doesn't have that luxury and probably have the toughest final games of all teams, twice the Penguins and one against the Devils. On the upside, if they win two of the games, they are through.

I also find the games for the SE division title very interesting. The Capitals are tied with the Hurricanes, but Carolina has won more games. This means, while both teams play the Panthers and the Lightning once, the Caps have to win both to have a chance at the title and ultimately the playoffs.

How's your club doing?

P.S.: Yes, Rym we know how good the Red Wings are and that they will probably get the Presidents Trophy this year again.

Comments

• I think only Scotts Rangers are safe so far with 3 points ahead, three games left and two scheduled with the Islanders.
    Don't jinx it, you fool!
  • I also find the games for the SE division title very interesting. The Capitals are tied with the Hurricanes, but Carolina has won more games. This means, while both teams play the Panthers and the Lightning once, the Caps have to win both to have a chance at the title and ultimately the playoffs.
    Let's go Caps! This season has just been crazy for us with a really shitty beginning and firing our head coach. Let's hope we carry through this year.
  • Let's go Caps! This season has just been crazy for us with a really shitty beginning and firing our head coach. Let's hope we carry through this year.
    Damn you and your Ovechkin. He's too damn good.
  • Damn you and your Ovechkin. He's too damn good.
    63 goals and rising...
  • But it will mean nothing if the Hurricanes the Bruins and the Flyers each gain four more points in which case the Caps are completely chanceless :P
    One more loss and the Caps are pretty much gone, but Kudos on the win against the Hurricanes yesterday.
  • Hockey? You mean ice-boxing right?
  • Hit-some-body!
  • At our games, there's something of a call-and-response on that theme:

Everybody!
    Hit somebody!
    Anybody!
    HARD!
  • Go Bruins Go! I just hope they don't meet the habs in the post season...the season series hasn't been kind.

I would love to see the Caps finish 8th and the Pens finish 1st...what a series that would be.
  • I would love to see the Caps finish 8th and the Pens finish 1st...what a series that would be.
    Fuck off douche. Not my problem all the Bruins fans are little girls.
  • Okay, not sure why I should fuck off or why I'm a douche for suggesting a Crosby Vs. Ovechkin first round match. But anyway.
  • Okay, not sure why I should fuck off or why I'm a douche for suggesting a Crosby Vs. Ovechkin first round match. But anyway.
    I'm just messing with you haha. Hopefully we will even get into the playoffs...
  • This is the closest race I can ever remember this late...the caps, philly, b's, sens...it's going to be interesting.
  • w00t, the Flyers are in.
    The Panthers upset the Hurricanes 4:3 and the Flyers clinch it with a shutout and three goals against the best goalie in the east.
    Andrew, now it's sink or swim. Good Luck :)
  • I don't know or care much about hockey. I only know enough to say GO FLAMES! :D

*is shot by more knowledgeable hockey fans*
  • Andrew, now it's sink or swim. Good Luck :)
    Ok, we need a win or overtime loss...
  • At our games, there's something of a call-and-response on that theme:

Everybody!
    Hit somebody!
    Anybody!
    HARD!
    *Looks around* Hi grandma...*smack*
  • Fuck yes. Playoffs.
  • I think it goes without saying that Detroit has a pretty damn good shot at winning it all. Our goaltending is superb this year and, oh look, we've clinched the President's Trophy. ^_^
  • edited April 2008
    I think it goes without saying that Detroit has a pretty damn good shot at winning it all. Our goaltending is superb this year and, oh look, we've clinched the President's Trophy. ^_^
    This brings up an interesting point. While they do have an amazing team, I just don't feel like they will win the Cup. I guess it's just a feeling, but I believe Detroit is more of a team to make it two or three rounds in; not win it all. Don't bring up the point of how they won a few cups in a row a couple seasons ago.

Mathematically though, they do have a great chance to win it all.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Congrats Andrew. I must say that cross-ice backhand pass to Federov for the breakaway goal was excellent.
  • Congrats Andrew. I must say that cross-ice backhand pass to Federov for the breakaway goal was excellent.
    Great comeback season or greatest comeback season?
    Great comeback season or greatest comeback season?
    I think that one could also apply to the Flyers making the Playoffs this year after being the worst team in the NHL the year before :P

On an interesting note, tomorrow could be the first game in two playoff series if you will. The Rangers will definitely play the Devils in the Conference Quarterfinals and tomorrows game will decide the home-ice advantage. And the Flyers play the Penguins. If the penguins win, they will place first and the Flyers eighth.

However, if the Flyers win it, they will place sixth and play the Capitals, leaving the bruins for the Canadians and Ottawa against Pittsburgh.
    See you in the Playoffs, Andrew ^^
  • I think it goes without saying that Detroit has a pretty damn good shot at winning it all. Our goaltending is superb this year and, oh look, we've clinched the President's Trophy. ^_^
    The number of President trophy winners that also won the Stanley cup: 0. Best of luck Rym.
  • edited April 2008
    The number of President trophy winners that also won the Stanley cup: 0. Best of luck Rym.
    I have no clue where you got that from, but the winners of the Presidents Trophy reached the Stanley Cup finals eight times in 21 years and won it six times. Wikipedia has a nice table for that but you are free to compare the Presidents' Trophy Winners with the Stanley Cup Winners from the NHL homepage.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • *Checks trivia book again*

Man, I can not read the "not since 2002" next to it, shame on me....Detroit goes to the finals due to my error.
  • Well Andrew, let's see how Ovechkin and crew will do against the Broad Street Bullies. The Flyers won it 2-0 with fantastic penalty killing and Biron is hot with two shutouts in a row.
  • w00t! What a rally back against the Flyers. Ovechkin is most certainly a god. Two goals in his first playoff game.
  • w00t! What a rally back against the Flyers. Ovechkin is most certainly a god. Two goals in his first playoff game.
    Yeah, that game was pretty sick.
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah yeah, rub it in :/
    The Power play goal was rather unfair as the Flyers where two man down after Thoresen literally busted his balls to block a shot.
    Ovechkin only scored one goal though. Unfortunately it was the game winner.
    We'll get you tomorrow.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on