This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Hockey Thread

Comments

• CTV now has control over the Hockey theme. At least it won't be used for selling credit cards or other products.
  • edited September 2008
    TLAPD has come and gone. Most camps have started or start today. The preseason is just around the corner. Hockey is in the air. I'm looking forward to the new season.
    Gagne is back and we got a fantastic new rookie in Claude Giroux. I hope I can get a torrent of the Spectrum farewell game between the Flyers and their AHL affiliate Philadelphia Phantoms.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I am definitely getting some Rangers tickets this year. I should check now.
  • I am definitely getting some Rangers tickets this year. I should check now.
    Yes. This year is the year of watching some fucking hockey. ^_^
  • edited September 2008
    I am definitely getting some Rangers tickets this year. I should check now.
    Yes. This year is the year of watching some fucking hockey. ^_^
    Too bad the Rangers play the Red Wings in Detroit this year. I'd like to hear the show after The Wings play the Rangers at MSG and you two are in the crowd :)
  • Too bad the Rangers play the Red Wings in Detroit this year. I'd like to hear the show after The Wings play the Rangers at MSG and you two are in the crowd :)
    Yeah, I just looked at the schedule.
  • Opening game for the Caps is down here in Atlanta! I'm definitely going to try to get tickets.

Looking for some awesome post-season action this year for Ovechkin and the other Caps.
  • I found out something pretty awesome recently. You can watch full hockey games, as well as highlights, on Hulu
  • I found out something pretty awesome recently. You can watch full hockey games, as well as highlights, onHulu
    Damn you Hulu, why must you be so good yet unavailable to me?
  • Just watched the first of the Wachovia Spectrum farewell games on a not entirely legal stream and it was great. Too bad the arena will be demolished after this season. The game itself was fantastic with our new captain Mike Richards sinking not one but two shorthanded goals, and we got four promising young talents already lined up. Can't wait for the season to start.
  • edited September 2008
    I think there was some Rangers pre-season action at MSG today. Lot's of jerseys on the train.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hey guys! Guys!

What's the difference between a HOCKEY mom and a pit bull?!
  • Hey guys! Guys!

One's a really ugly breed of dog. The other's a mom.
  • edited September 2008
    Hey guys! Guys!

One has a son who plays hockey. The other is a pit bull.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Paul Newman died yesterday. Rest in peace Reggie Dunlop.
  • edited October 2008
    The season is now fully underway and the Tortoise (Toronto) beats the Hare (Detroit) in the season opener. Way to spoil the raising of a Stanley Cup banner :D

On another note, I'm torn about Ed Snyder. I love him for establishing the Flyers, but now I kinda hate him for inviting Sarah Palin for the ceremonial first puck drop in a Flyers game against the Rangers. She will certainly get booed in a region where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2 to 1 by a few estimates I have seen. I hope the crowd starts chanting "Obama" when she steps on the ice.
    I also heard that Palin almost went out into Philadelphia in a Rangers jersey before she was stopped by someone in the hotel elevator. Lynch mob closely avoided.
  • I also heard that Palin almostwent out into Philadelphia in a Rangers jerseybefore she was stopped by someone in the hotel elevator. Lynch mob closely avoided.
    She's from Alaska, well north of the Messier line. How could she not know?
  • edited October 2008
    It's Palin. She doesn't even know what newspaper she is reading.
    Another article about the incident
  • edited October 2008
    AND she's a "hockey mom"! Completely inexcusable
    Edited to add quotes to the puke worthy term
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • I think she doesn't know shit about hockey. Only her son and her future son-in-law play the game. I think she picked the rangers because her thought process goes like this: "Oh, it's blue and it got red and white stripes, kinda like the american flag. Oh, and it spells 'Rangers' in the front, like park ranger or army ranger".
  • edited October 2008
    Well, she got bood pretty hard and the description of it varies from news outlet to the other, but they are very audible even though Palin tried to use her daughters as shields from the boos.

At least we know that every single promo picture coming out of this will have the an Obama-Biden sign in it.

As for the game: The first 10 minutes were crap and I give the fault to Biron and the fact that the Rangers had already played 3 games in the season. However, after Niitty was put between the pipes, it was a whole different story. He and Richards really deserved 3rd and 2nd star respectively. I'd even argue that Richards deserved the 1st star over Zherdev. He was simply on fire, making a fight to turn the momentum, constantly driving to the net, and the end to end hustle where he initiated the play and finished it off as well for the goal was fantastic. He even stayed really calm and collected after the first period knowing that penalties won't help anybody (even though the refs gave him one for basically not doing anything). Nobody should ever question his captaincy.

Also great to see Gagne score his first goal of the season after him being out for so long.

It was a real nailbiter at the end but they just couldn't jam the 4th one behind Valiquette. I'm still looking forward to the season and next time the blueshirts won't be this lucky.
  • edited October 2008
    Palin passes on the curse to the Blues. The Flyers went 0-3-3 since Palin dropped the puck. Yesterday, she drops the puck in St. Louis. The Flyers win 6-3 against the Devils, the Blues lose 0-4 against the LA Kings. And on top of that, Blues goaltender Manny Legacy trips over Palins carpet and gets himself injured, let's in 2 goals on 12 shots in the first period and doesn't return for the second or third.

• Seems like I'm the only one who's watching hockey anymore, but Carolina @ Philadelphia tonight was simply the absolute insanity.
  • I went to a Blues @ Thrashers game a couple weeks ago. Atlanta got rocked but at least there were a couple of good fights.
  • Seems like I'm the only one who's watching hockey anymore, butCarolina @ Philadelphiatonight was simply the absolute insanity.
    I would be watching hockey if I had cable television. However, $50+ per month is too much a price to pay just for hockey. I'm still keeping an eye on it, though.
  • edited December 2008
    Seems like I'm the only one who's watching hockey anymore, butCarolina @ Philadelphiatonight was simply the absolute insanity.
    I would be watching hockey if I had cable television. However, $50+ per month is too much a price to pay just for hockey. I'm still keeping an eye on it, though.
    Hehe, I've been watching 26 of the 28 Flyers games in full, 24 of those (and a preseason game) live. And I live six timezones away :P
    Haven't payed a dime for that. Thanks internets.

Addendum: The four games I didn't watch live were not due to blackouts or something but simply me having scheduling difficulties.
  • My home team is celebrating it's centennial this season and they just won their 29th national Title. w00t.

Also, NHL playoffs are almost upon us. For Scott's Rangers it will all come down to their games against my Flyers and somehow I think Florida is going to steal the Rangers playoff spot :P
  • Flyers and Carolina look like a good setup for the flyers, here's hoping Pit and NJ beat themselves up in a 7 gamer so that we can be rested in the run.
  • Southeast Division Champs ftw.