This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Hockey Thread

Comments

• edited July 2009
    The good: Chris Pronger traded to the Flyers, signed extension with a 5 million dollar cap hit.
    The bad: He's now signed until he's 42, and his cap hit will not come off the books if he retires before that. But hey, don't panic.
    The ugly: The rest of the Atlantic division after the 2009-10 season :)

In other news:
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • #1 in the League on a six game win streak baby! C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
  • Well, didn't have much fun recently as the Flyers sunk in the standings but they are riding a 4-game win streak into the Winter Classic, including a 6-0 beating on the Rangers tonight to leapfrog 5 teams back into eight place of the conference.

Now we're shipping up to Boston :)
  • edited December 2009
    The really cool documentary Pond Hockey can be watched on Hulu.
  • Baker's Dozen
  • I got a fucking sportgasm. Absolutely amazing game. Too bad it had to end in a shootout but I take it. Lundqvist played amazingly, but in the end it was not enough. Flyers in the Playoffs.
  • I got a fucking sportgasm. Absolutely amazing game. Too bad it had to end in a shootout but I take it. Lundqvist played amazingly, but in the end it was not enough. Flyers in the Playoffs.
    Rangers not in the playoffs :(
  • edited April 2010
    I got a fucking sportgasm. Absolutely amazing game. Too bad it had to end in a shootout but I take it. Lundqvist played amazingly, but in the end it was not enough. Flyers in the Playoffs.
    Rangers not in the playoffs :(
    The Rangers made it really close with the win on friday, but this game was a completely one sided affair. Flyers outplayed, outchanced and outshot the Rangers completely and Lundqvist was really the only reason that they even got to the shootout. Also, the Flyers hit the crossbar at least three times.

Anyways, it came down to a shootout and was most surprising was Tortorella choosing Jokinen ahead of Gaborik for the final shooter. Real headscratcher and analysts have already picked that one out as the reason the Rangers lost.

Edit: Highlights of the game, if anybody cares.
  • Hoping my home team The Washington Capitals makes a deep run this year. Their first round opponent is Montreal. They did get the President's Trophy this year, but every sportscaster points out that only one team in the past several seasons (seven or eight) has won the trophy and gone on to win the cup. That was Detroit.
  • edited April 2010
    Speaking of Washington: lol at Ovechkin missing out on both the Art Ross and the Richard Trophy, mostly due to getting himself suspended.
  • And Speaking of Detroit, the last time the Capitals went to the Stanley cup finals was against Detroit, and Detroit swept them 4-0.
  • I honestly don't think the penalty warranted a suspention. Just another situation of people hating the best player in leauge and throwing fuss that wasn't deserved.
  • I honestly don't think the penalty warranted a suspention. Just another situation of people hating the best player in leauge and throwing fuss that wasn't deserved.
    I disagree with that. Both times were questionable hits, one knee on knee collision and one completely unnecessary boarding hit from behind. Both were high risk plays with little to no real purpose of making them this dangerous and seeing that Ovechkin only got two games for the 2nd time despite having been suspended once before this season, I'd say he got a bit off the hook there.

While I have disagreed with Colin Campbell about supplementary disciplinary measures often, Ovechkin's were warranted. Also, Ovechkin is probably the last person the NHL willingly takes off the ice for any reason. Compare this with Dan Carcillo's second suspension of the season which earned him a match penalty and two games, something I think to be completely unwarranted:
  • In regards with the Campbell hit, it wouldn't have been nearly has horrible if he didn't try to finesse his way out of it. Take a look at his right skate and how he tries to spin out of it. If he didn't try that, he probably would have stayed on his skates. From that point of view, I would hardly call a suspension warranted.
  • edited April 2010
    In regards with the Campbell hit, it wouldn't have been nearly has horrible if he didn't try to finesse his way out of it. Take a look at his right skate and how he tries to spin out of it. If he didn't try that, he probably would have stayed on his skates. From that point of view, I would hardly call a suspension warranted.
    What? Ok, they're on the goal line, Ovechkin pretty much knows that the puck is gone since Campbell looked at him a second before, and Ovechkin deliberately shoves him right on the numbers forward into the boards. That is what is called boarding. That is what a dangerous and completely unnecessarily play looks like. That is what a play that should definitely get a suspension looks like.

And where was Campbell supposed to go anyway? He's trying to skate behind the net as you normally do as a defenseman. There was no "finessing your way out". That was routine. And if he was angled toward the boards, he would have ridden full frontal into the board, probably head first which could have resulted in something worse than going into it with the shoulder, and it would have still been dangerous boarding play.

Sorry, but that is a cheap attempt of blaming the victim. You simply can't shove a guy on the goal line from behind into the boards and expect to get away with it.

Edit: BTW, it was certainly not the first time Ovechkin made such a dangerous and unnecessary hit and it is really strange that he escaped suspension for so long. Take the hit on Danny Briere for example. That was also such a dangerous play (puck is gone, right between the numbers, into the boards) which should have been worth a suspension but was not awarded.
  • Well, Carter and Gagne both have broken feet. Carter's done for the season and Gagne may return in 3 weeks, should the team survive that long. Fuck!

Well, I guess they can still finish off New Jersey, the way the Devils have played, but for the 2nd round it's gonna be tough.
  • I just realized that The Zambonis are tragically under-represented in this thread.

• edited April 2010
    Well, Flyers won by shutting out New Jersey 3-0 and ended the Devils season with a 4-1 decision in the series. I don't normally pat myself on the back, but epic pwnage ensued.

As for hockey songs, during yesterday's game in the third period when the Devils were already down 3-0, they played "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden over the arena sound system in New Jersey. I wonder if they wanted to tell the team something. They were eliminated for the third year straight in the first round and haven't seen the conference final for six despite usually finishing on top of the Atlantic Division.
  • Hockey Monkey = James Kochalka
  • Well, Flyers won by shutting out New Jersey 3-0 and ended the Devils season with a 4-1 decision in the series. I don't normally pat myself on the back, butepic pwnage ensued.

As for hockey songs, during yesterday's game in the third period when the Devils were already down 3-0, they played "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden over the arena sound system in New Jersey. I wonder if they wanted to tell the team something. They were eliminated for the third year straight in the first round and haven't seen the conference final for six despite usually finishing on top of the Atlantic Division.

When I was a kid I loved Iron Maiden (still do, at least Fear of the Dark and anything before it). Anyway, since this is the hockey thread, Go Bruins Go!
  • Death and destruction is coming. Game 7 in Washington (the Caps have not had a playoff series last less than 7 games since 2008) and Phoenix.
  • I did have a bet going with a friend of mine down in Atlanta. Whose team went to the post season would buy the other a beer. So next time I see him I'm going to be getting a free beer. He offered me to go double or nothing if the Capitals made it to the stanley cup final, but I hate to admit I was a bit doubtful about it at the time. So I decided to just go with the one free beer since I knew I was getting that already. I just hope the Capitals can do it tonight at home.
  • Well shit
  • How 'bout those Mets, eh?
  • Jaroslav Halak: Holy fucking shit.

Well, I guess Boudreau is getting fired. Fourth straight series that went to game 7, 2nd time in three years they were ousted in the first round, have not even made it to the conference finals in that time and with a team as stacked as that, there is simply no excuse. However, it just reinforces what I've been thinking for some time now: Washington is not a playoff team. They are pretty much built like the Sharks and play like the Sharks. A lot of offence, mediocre defence and mediocre goaltending. Not a formula that lends itself to playoff success.

I hope Montreal can do the same thing to Pittsburgh that they did to Washington. As for Boston Philly: Boston is probably the opponent most similar to New Jersey of the remaining opponents which could be in the Flyers favor. However, they should not be underestimated and the Flyers injuries (Carter, Gagne, Laperriere) could also hurt in this series.
  • Washington is not a playoff team. They are pretty much built like the Sharks and play like the Sharks. A lot of offence, mediocre defence and mediocre goaltending. Not a formula that lends itself to playoff success.
    Yeah, I think you're right. The teams that are always deep in the playoffs have the big name goalies. Wayne Gretzky on the LA Kings got to the finals once, but never won it. He won his cups in Edmonton with Messier and friends. Ovechkin is in an LA Kings Wayne Gretzky situation. He either needs a Mark Messier to give so much offense that they can't lose, or they need a big name goalie and defensemen behind him. Otherwise, I don't see his name on the Stanley Cup anytime soon.

Also, he's gotta stop with the shenanigans. You can't be the enforcer and also the star. It's one or the other. That's how hockey works. Gretzky never fought anybody, he let the big guys do all that stuff. If they sat out two minutes, not a big deal. Ovechkin getting sent off the ice, or suspended, that's not the path to the finals. You don't see Crosby doing that shit.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually I don't think that "Big name goalie" necessarily means playoff success or that playoff success necessarily requires a big name goalie. Chris Osgood certainly isn't and the Red Wings have seen two finals and are going for a third (though Osgood certainly isn't their #1 anymore). If the big name goalie was required to go to the finals or win the cup, Miller and Brodeur would still be playing. The goalie needs to be good no doubt, and a goalie stealing a game or two is fantastic, that alone will not get you into the next round. Look at Anderson or Rinne in the first round. Brodeur played very well too for most of the series though the numbers don't show it.

What I think is most necessary is playing good team defense while having a balanced roster and that's the Caps and Sharks failure. They are too frontloaded betting on being able to outscore the opponent which is a problem when their goalscorers are being effectively contained or simply don't show up. If Green is on the ice, the Caps are virtually playing 4 forwards and one defenceman.

Ovechkin though is not really an enforcer. He is a phyiscal powerforward. Problem is that he is pretty much the only one on the team. The Caps are a pretty soft team. There is nothing wrong with playing with an edge but if you're the only one and nobody else does, it's simply not enough edge. I don't think the Caps really have an enforcer. Ovechkin certainly isn't. He hasn't even fought anybody this season. I do agree though that Ovechkin has to stop with the shenanigans such as late hits, hits from behind and knee hits.
  • such as late hits, hits from behind and knee hits.
    It's not just that the hits are sneaky, it's that they are so fierce. Concentrate on putting the puck in the goal, not putting the other team in the hospital.
  • Must say I'm glad I decided to stick with one beer than go for double or nothing. Guess its another season where the team that wins the president's trophy doesn't make it to the cup finals.