This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Fail: I seem to have caught some sort of throaty virus type thing this weekend (who knows when or where).
    Booh Yah: Said virus type things has given me the deepest of voices. I've got to teach tomorrow and I've got no choice but to sound like Vin Disel.
    Also: I'm $22 up from poker ($5 buy in) over 3 games.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited November 2011
    Booyah: Last week, I was asked by the Radio Television Digital News Association on campus to give a guest lecture/workshop on digital audio and audio editing tomorrow at 5pm since I'm a professional audio engineer.
    Fail: It's 12:43am and I haven't finished the curriculum. >_<
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Fail: Got into a somewhat liberal vs. conservatives on education cuts discussion with my brother on FB.
    Fail: He claimed liberals would rather spend their money on social programs vs. education. 'Nuff said.
    Boo-Yah: I then called him out to provide evidence to support his claims then continued with a wall of text linking various articles of Conservatives making education cuts throughout the many states in the nation. Cited that 29 of the US Govenors are Republican and linked how private funding from The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation are helping with this.
    Fail: He deleted my post.
    Boo-Yah: That just tells me he was too ashamed and a coward to leave it on there to show the world he got owned by his little sister.
  • Boo-Yah - I have people who were previously all but baying for the blood of journalists asking all sorts of good questions about the general media industry and journalism. It's fun!

Fail - many of them are extraordinarily silly. And there is also the requisite "Oh, the 1% are just telling the media what they want to say, and that's why there is a media blackout on the Occupy protests, and so many lies!"
    In response to one such post, I replied, and I quote - "That cartoon makes me want to beat my head against my fucking desk. Or more accurately, beat whoever came up with it with a fucking spade handle till they admit the error of their ways, because when a person is that stupid, I really don't actually consider them a person anymore."
  • I approve of both Rochelle's and Churba's Boo-Yah. Also Churba's Fail.
  • I was waiting for the outbound train when I see an inbound train and think "the inbound train always runs 3 times more frequently. I wish I took that instead." It's at this point that I remember that in fact I did need to take the inbound.

Most minor fail and minor boo yah ever
  • Oh snap Ro, Imotowned.
    Above: New Caledonia.

I love my job! I get paid to juggle, and as a cool side effect, I get to see the world. Sometimes I see more of the world than I first expect, and sometimes I see more than I want. For example, on my next flight between ships.

I’m currently on the HAL Zaandam, sailing from Hawaii to Pago Pago, American Samoa. This takes about six days, with five days at sea in a row. That’s cool, because I had a few amazing days in Hawaii.

My schedule said I would leave the Zaandam on the 14th of November, and join the HAL Amsterdam in Sydney on the 15th. Then I’d stay on the ship in Sydney overnight, and sail out on the 16th. Shouldn’t be a problem. Right?

But someone at head office didn’t think this through, and I didn’t catch the mistake either. Not at first. I realized that due to crossing the International Date Line, I’d lose 24 hours. If I set off from Pago Pago on the 14th, I wouldn’t arrive in Sydney until the 16th. But if the flights worked out, I could still make the ship.

The flights didn’t work out. There’s good news and bad news.

Good news:

My flight from Pago Pago isn’t until 2320 on the 14th. This means instead of going directly from the ship to the airport and seeing nothing in American Samoa, I’ll be able to explore the island for the entire afternoon.

The bad news:

I have an overnight flight to Honolulu. I arrive at 0530 on the 15th.

The good news:

I have 5 hours free in Honolulu. I intentionally didn’t do any tourist stuff in the city when I was there a few days ago, instead I opted to take a bus ride to the North Shore to see Sunset Beach and the Pipeline. I thought “If I return to Honolulu, I’ll not have time to do such a trip again, but I will have time to visit Pearl Harbor.” It turns out I was correct, but I didn’t expect to return within a week.

The bad news:

A nine hour flight to Tokyo. I take off on the 15th and land on the 16th.

The good news:

My first visit to Japan! Also, according to my records, this will make Japan the 100th country I’ve ever visited, according to the Travelers’ Century Club country list.

The bad news:

I won’t have time to do anything in Japan except walk around the airport.

More bad news:

My next flight is ANOTHER overnight flight. Twice in one trip. And this is what breaks my brain: each of the three times I fly I’ll take off on one day and land the following day, but I only have two overnight flights.

The good news:

I arrive in New Caledonia at 0730 on the 17th. This means I have the whole day to do whatever I want on the island. Considering New Caledonia is a place I’ve wanted to visit for the last 20 years or so, since I first saw photos in a book about dinosaurs, I’m very happy with this development.

More good news:

Instead of spending two days at sea between Sydney and New Caledonia, I’ll be spending those days on New Caledonia. That means I get to spend two nights in the hotel, and a second full day exploring the island.

And then I’ll transfer to the ship on the 19th, probably do my show that night, but then have ANOTHER two days on various islands of New Caledonia.

From there we sail to Fiji. From Fiji I then transfer to another ship in New Zealand. Who knows what will happen during that connection. I really, really hope I get two days to do what I want in New Zealand before the ship turns up.

The bad news:

10,791 miles flown between two islands in the Pacific. How close if I could get a direct flight? Maybe 1,000 miles.

So balancing the good and the bad, I’m sure this will end positively. At least I hope this will end positively. Two overnight flights in a row is a small price to pay for unexpected adventure opportunities.

• Fail: I've had a really rough few weeks/past month or so, and after trying to ignore it all and just keep going, I broke down and lost my temper a good bit today... Not something I'm proud of or happy about, but to an extent I think it's fair to be upset about certain things.

Boo-yah!: My best friend from the costume shop came over and we talked about Maid Cafe stuff and did a puppet show (which involved burning things) for our class, so now I feel much better, have a better outlook, and have been well distracted from my worries for the evening. Not to mention the Maid Uniform hanging in my room that I didn't have to buy!
  • edited November 2011
    Fail: My allergies are just about killing me. I feel like a wreck, and the medicine I've been taking hasn't been helping. I decided to skip out on hanging with friends from school tomorrow in favor of spending the long weekend alone at home just so I could get away from the farm my apartment sits next to, which hopefully will bring me some relief.

Boo-yah: Sonic Generations all weekend and my friend's house show Sunday night.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Boo-yah: I know what I'm making for my Santee.
    Fail: I don't all the things involved it the making of said gift yet.
    Boo-yah: I will know new things once I've finally made it!
  • I can't wait to see the finished present. I sometimes feel overwhelmed at first when I am learning a new technique beause it feels so foreign and I have difficulty comprehending it at times. Then after all is said and done, I realize it wasn't so bad after all.
  • Boo yah: Learned some really important git stuff from Scott yesterday.
    Fail: I realized I'm really quiet (and sometimes awkward) when doing skype/voicechats on the internet. Forum members that I've done hangouts with can vouch for this. I'm not very good at getting into the ebb and flow of conversation very well. Need to work on this.
  • Boo yah: Learned some really important git stuff from Scott yesterday.
    Fail: I realized I'm really quiet (and sometimes awkward) when doing skype/voicechats on the internet. Forum members that I've done hangouts with can vouch for this. I'm not very good at getting into the ebb and flow of conversation very well. Need to work on this.
    It's true, you do just kinda chill there and smoke until you're addressed.

• Fail: I accidentally ordered the same manga twice on Amazon on two separate dates.
    Boo-Yah: As I was requesting a return, Amazon is just going to give me a refund without needing to send it back.
    Fail: Now I will soon have two copies of Saturn Apartments Vol. 4 and I have no idea what to do with it.
  • Boo-Yah: I now know exactly what to get my Santee for FRCcret Santa.

Fail(?): I have to do it now, before the joke fades from memory.
  • Fail: I think I'm sick.
    Booh-Yah: Made some awesome waffles and then had a sick day and stayed in bed all day and watched Fringe.
  • edited November 2011
    Forum members that I've done hangouts with can vouch for this. I'm not very good at getting into the ebb and flow of conversation very well. Need to work on this.
    I have the same problem, but honestly, that's the same thing I do in normal conversation too. I'm not like, awkwardly silent, but I tend to keep quiet and absorb stuff instead of talking.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Fail: SUPER stressful day full of trying to last-minute finish my nice white dress for Oklahoma. I got most of it done but had to leave before I could finish sewing on closures. We still have to dye it down, too. Everything has to look old and dingy for this show.
    Not to mention I was running a fever in the mid-evening. I felt terrible during dinner and couldn't really eat.

Boo-yah: To cheer me up, my friend had me come over and watch How I Met Your Mother and several episodes of Azumanga Daioh. Made me forget my worries completely for awhile... and as a SUPER SPECIAL BOO-YAH BONUS, my costume dress for AUSA came in the mail today and it fits PERFECTLY! I didn't have time to make my own for this con, so I bought a dress I'd been drooling over for awhile from another cosplayer on Cosplay.com. GREAT SUCCESS!
  • edited November 2011
    To cheer me up, my friend had me come over and watch Hokuto no Ken
    Aww, such a nice friend you have =3
    Post edited by Aria on
  • my costume dress for AUSA came
    Oh, forum thread.
  • Is that a pie or a cake?
  • Did you read the link?

Both.
  • Holy hell. Two questions: Did you make that and can you make one for my wedding?
  • No. No. Click the link.

I honestly find that a bit vile. I'm not really too much into sweets like that. Plus, I only like apple pie of those three. It's still a very awesome thing, all things considered.
  • edited November 2011
    Fail: The overpriced $30 Wacom Bamboo stylus that arrived ended up scratching my iPad. I was using it at an angle and the way the metal part of the tip must have scratched the surface.

Boo-Yah: I already had a screen protector installed, so no permanent damage.

Fail: The screen protector was supposed to be really good and has a lifetime guarantee, so I was annoyed that I just finished washing my face and ready to stay home. Now I had to get ready again to go out to get the screen protector replaced.

Boo-Yah: As I finished getting ready, applying make up and what not, I looked at my screen again, and the scratches were gone. I ended up staying home.

Boo-Yah: Returning the Bamboo stylus and with the Black Friday sales I saw in the paper, I snatched up 2 Targus styluses on sale for $10 each. They match the green Smart Cover and work great and the don't scratch my cover.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Fail: I went to the doctor today because I'm still having pretty major back and neck pain and a bit of disoriented perception, dizziness, nausea, blurry vision, and headaches. Turns out I have a minor concussion and I came home with painkillers and muscle relaxants.

Boo-yah: The more I read about concussions, the more I realize that the symptoms I was most worried about are related to minor concussions and should go away fairly soon. I have been having issues sensing or relating to the progression of time and constructing mental time lines, and kept thinking that if I'd had permanent brain damage, I was going to end up having to buy a lot of calenders.
  • So yesterday, 3d period, my Latin teacher called me up to recite a piece I didn't know we had to have memorized over the 4-day weekend. I try to fail gracefully. He doesn't let me do so. He forces me up, in front of the whole class, and keeps pushing me on why I didn't learn it. When I start to walk back to my seat, he says "Get your act together, Greg. This is the real world." It's at this point that he sends me off on a 3 minute tirade about how school is an isolated biodome, affecting nothing beyond it. He sits quietly and politely listens to all of it. Afterwards, he asks the class how he did. No disciplinary action, no consequences, nothing. Maybe he'll talk to me after class today, but it seems I got away with all this. I'm not sure what's fail and what's boo-yah, but I'm pretty sure both are present, so I'm posting it here.