This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• The fact that you mentioned centipedes rapidly here and the fact that is sounds like SUCH an inside joke, frightens me from ever going there.
    Of course it's an inside joke. They were actually millipedes.
  • The fact that you mentioned centipedes rapidly here and the fact that is sounds like SUCH an inside joke, frightens me from ever going there.
    Eeek! Those are even scarier in my book!!
    Eeek! Those are even scarier in my book!!
    (I was just taking the piss, you'll have to ask emily what the actual go is.)
  • My apartment in Nagoya was infested by large, poisonous centipedes. They crawled on my head and hid in my socks. It was unpleasant.
  • My apartment in Nagoya was infested by large, poisonous centipedes. They crawled on my head and hid in my socks. It was unpleasant.
    Are we talking welt causing poison or incredibly ill/deathly poison?
  • Big frickin' welt bigger than a bee sting. Whole hand swells up. You probably won't die.
  • edited June 2009
    You probably won't die.
    Unless you roll a 1.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2009
    You probably won't die.
    Unless you roll a 1.
    Or fail to press X in time.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You probably won't die.
    Unless you roll a 1.
    Or fail to press X in time.
    PRESS A!! PRESS A!!! CENTEPEDES IN YO ROOM!!!!!!
  • Hey everyone,

I've been an off-and-on GeekNights listener for about seven months now. My brother introduced me to the show when he started getting into Linux and was listening to the all of the Linux geek talk. It is hard to find tech people that actually know what they are talking about, but Rym and Scott are usually on the right track. Even if there are some weird off-hand comments that make no sense, the general content is awesome and a lot of the time I'll find myself nodding in agreement.

A little bit about me: I've been a professional computer programmer for three years now. I started off as a video game programmer working for Leviathan Games in Boulder, Colorado. After two years of making games including Target: Terror for the Wii, the company had to let everyone go. So, out of the industry I love, I took a job at a local coupon company as a C++ toolbar programmer working for the man. It pays well but dear lord do I get bored during the down time.

I also have a strong interest for computer security on the side. Before I took the C++ toolbar position, I was offered a position as an electronic gambling machine auditor for the Vegas gambling board. This summer, I joined forces with the Denver DC303 group working on the Defcon capture-the-flag questions for this years pre-qualifications, and I managed to get several potent pwnables. Sadly, the rest of my team had communication issues and we took 47th place. I'm really hoping Rym and Scott cover some of the capture-the-flag content at some point here. I know they've gone into cryptology and data obfuscation before, but it'd be really cool to hear some really hardcore techy exploit talk.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi while I continue to lurk and occasionally post on the forums.
  • Hello, I'm Katie. I'm from North Carolina and I'm about to enter my second year of college at ECU, majoring in Theater Design and Production with a concentration in Costume Design. Unfortunately, I'm actually fairly unfamiliar with GeekNights, I was prompted to join by Li Akahi (who, as I've discovered in the past few days, has been showing me things from this forum for awhile) and have been lurking around here out of cautious curiosity.

I'm a anime fan, and I also really enjoy Stargate (primarily SG-1, as I haven't been keeping up with Atlantis. Stargate just isn't the same without Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping), Star Trek (TOS, TNG), Star Wars, Firefly, Musicals, and Disney movies. I sporadically play Ragnarok Online on the Valkyrie server, mostly because it's free. I am, however, a lot more attached to my console games. My console of choice is the PS2, and my favorite games are Odin Sphere and Katamari Damacy.

I play piccolo in my college marching band, and I've been marching for years. I'm a huge band geek, I even wanted to be a music education major for awhile, until I realized I don't have the patience to teach. I also play oboe, clarinet, and violin with varying degrees of success. I've dabbled in musical composition, but mostly I just like learning a lot about music theory.

I'm going to lurk around here some more and hopefully post some. I'm also attending Otakon in a few weeks, and am looking forward to meeting people from the forums there.
  • who, as I've discovered in the past few days, has been showing me things from this forum for awhile
    No! My secret has been revealed!
  • Ha, very first post here now where to begin, hmmmm..... aha well My name is Walter Grajeda I am from Los angeles California the Arleta area. Was raise in Guadalajara Mexico during my youth. Later came back to the states. Well How I got in this geekery I first started with the basics, video games,then anime came without knowing, subcontianly. The shows that I used to watch where Haidy, super campeones (tsabusa soccer), mazinger,macross, battle of the planets.
  • who, as I've discovered in the past few days, has been showing me things from this forum for awhile
    I do the same thing; pretty much everything I link comes from Fark, here, or SA.
    I guess you'll just have to find another source to make me wonder where you find all your awesome geeky internet stuff.
    I guess you'll just have to find another source to make me wonder where you find all your awesome geeky internet stuff.
    Not necessarily, now you can contribute to the sharing sessions in a much larger fasion.
  • edited July 2009
    who, as I've discovered in the past few days, has been showing me things from this forum for awhile
    Not necessarily, now you can contribute to the sharing sessions in a much larger fashion.
    True. I do think you got a kick out of my, "Where do you FIND all this stuff?!" though.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • Not necessarily, now you can contribute to the sharing sessions in a much larger fasion.
    To this effect - Get thee to a geekchat, Ma'am.
  • Not necessarily, now you can contribute to the sharing sessions in a much larger fasion.
    To this effect - Get thee to a geekchat, Ma'am.
    Indeed.
  • Hi I'm Nicola, I live in Pennsylvania and I'm going my last year of high school in September. I started listening to the Wednesdays show and now I’m just starting to listen to every day. I love the fact that when every place in wildwood that they talk about in the show I've gone to with my family we have a place in north wildwood. I started listening from Katsucon 2008 when I just randomly came into the 'amine you should see' panel. That helped a lot! Because of that panel I watched Cowboy Bebop and now that is one of my top favorites. Thanks to Geeknights also started reading Monster and Lone Wolf and Cube.
  • Lone Wolf and Cube
    These hands, they cannot photoshop, but they want to. Their desire, great. Their goal, monumental. Their source, a typo.
  • These hands, they cannot photoshop, but they want to. Their desire, great. Their goal, monumental. Their source, a typo.
    Done?
  • Done?
    \o/ Awesome! Cute present in TotD thread.
  • I heard about you guys from other podcasts I was listening to at the time (Anime World Order, Fast Karate, etc.) and have been listening for a few years now. Just met you guys at Otakon and I'm happy to be on the forums.

My name is Daniel, and aside from being a college student out in the mid-west at Oklahoma State University, I write anime reviews and convention coverage for Advanced Media Network Anime.

Um, I think that's it?
  • I serendipitously discovered 'Geeknights' / 'Front Row Crew' during my early attempts to familiarize myself with unix environments, and have been a casual listener for some years. I am in my honours year at the University of Tasmania, Australia.

When I am not in the lab, I am entertaining myself with similar interests to those expressed by the protagonists of this podcast.
  • Hello. My name is actually Jennifer, preferably Jenn. I am 19 and I attend Clemson University as a veterinary science major. I discovered Geeknights as a result of exploring features on my iPod Touch. I have been listening for a few years, but only recently I decided to join the forums. I will have to admit I started as one of those annoying teeny anime fans who only watched Inuyasha after it was recommended by a friend. I am proud to say that I got over that stage of fandom quickly. I am now much older and wiser. I am planning to attend my first convention in a few weeks along with a few friends. I am hoping to start an anime viewing group at Clemson and perhaps eventually an anime club. Aside from anime, I am interested in martial arts, horse riding, casual reading, and Belegarth. I am slowly getting into video games, though this is greatly hindered by my parents' hate for them. No video games are allowed in my house at all, so I can only play at school. I am also beginning to get into some of the other geekeries.
  • edited August 2009
    I am in my honours year at the University of Tasmania, Australia.
    So, how many of your classmates have scars on their necks where they cut off the extra head? :p I'm a Queenslander, and lackofcheese is down Sydney way, I believe. Welcome.
    Intro
    Welcome to the forums, Jenn. I'll admit, my Ex studies animal science at aberystwyth, wales, and got me into the whole deal, I'm quite interested in it, and you're not the only Martial arts fan on the forums.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • and lackofcheese is down Sydney way, I believe.
    No, I live in Brisbane (though I was born in Russia).
    No video games are allowed in my house at all, so I can only play at school.
    Ouch. That's pretty harsh, considering you're 19...
  • No, I live in Brisbane (though I was born in Russia).
    Woops, sorry mate, my mistake.
    edited August 2009
    No, I live in Brisbane (though I was born in Russia).
    Woops, sorry mate, my mistake.
    Doesn't matter, you lot are still people living on the down side of the world. Christ, spiders...
    Post edited by ... on